Post-Game Talk: We Lost, but that's okay We'll Win Tomorrow!

horner

May 22, 2007
There are some questionable coaching decisions going on IMO.

Rielly is probably our 3rd best defensemen, he needs to be in and Ranger needs to be sat.

Kessel has disappeared, as has JVR (I can understand this) I would move Raymond to center (has previous experience there) as he isnt as important as Kessel or JVR.

No response tonight? Come on. Not one fight? Nobody challenges Scott? Thats an absolute joke, I dont care if the NHL warned both teams. Orr or Mclaren needs to send a message that you do not attack our best player and walk away. Just a joke.

On the positive side.... I think Smithson has made a strong case to be a good 4th line center on a lot of teams in this league. On the leafs that spots reserved for McClement but Smithson has some value.

I think you meant
FRANSON HAS NOT LOOKED GOOD

RANGER IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not many teams in the league can win without their top 3 centers

This is so true, and needs to be remembered. It's not as if the full strength roster played and looked absent offensively. You're so thin down the middle; survive this stretch and get back to the winning ways when at full health.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Still haven't gotten over this loss. I'm such a sad person right now, even with 3 Centers out I expected at least 3 goals from our big guns...Miller was solid. Ugh, I need another shower.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ranger must be the new Grabo, everyone craps on him. He is actually pretty good but with occasional lapses.

Franson has been a game losing machine! He should be gone for a C fast.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree with half of your post, Franson has not looked good.....but Ranger looked horrible last night.

You really have to think about it, sometimes what you are seeing in poor play is a result of a dysfunctional offence that can't do their job defensively.

It may not seem it but Kessel JVR Bozak Bolland etc can screw up coverage and cause the defense to be confused or be put in a sticky situation. It's the decisions those D make at those times that determine the quality of D. Ask yourself who makes the big play? The D that saves the day and causes the announcer to say big play to get back by Gardiner there.

A lot of our D woes are as a result of our forwards and a lot are coming as a result from our weak play down the middle. The C is THAT important.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Franson has been awful this year. Thank god we didn't lock him up this past summer.

He would have no problems on a team like Boston. That's who the trading attention for him would be. Edmonton or Calgary as well just because.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
anyone who knows the sport, really.

what a **** show, shanahan suspends kadri, then calls the teams up and tells them they better not fight.. what ********.

of course we play them their first game with their new (old) coach, of course it all adds up to the leafs getting ****ed in buffalo even while grossly outnumbering their fans within their own building.

but for some reason, i cant get angry at buffalo cause, they have to live in buffalo.

Take cheap shots at the team all you want, but not the city, actually they did not grossly outnumber the fans, its pretty obvious that the only reason Toronto fans fill up the good seats is because they are more affordable than games in Toronto. People don't have to live in buffalo, they choose to and almost every famous athlete to ever play for buffalo sports teams end up living the retirements in buffalo. The team is rebuilding and no one denys that and they admit to being bad. I wish people would think twice before bashing a city and its people without living there, keep it about the hockey

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
Another thing is some people have to high expectations for this team. You guys remember that last year nobody expected us to make it? Maybe we made it only because it was a short season too. Maybe not. Also, not to many professionals like (Bob McKenzie) don't have high confidence that the Leafs should make the playoffs this year.

The BIGGEST reason that we could make it this year, is because of our amazing goaltenders.

Nonis said it clearly, we are not wasting prospects/picks for quick fixes. This team still needs more time and re-build. If we tank this year, i woudn't be suprise to see guys on contract years traded for prospects/picks. Like Phaneuf.

We are not a top contender. More time and patience needed. Our prospect pool up front is weak, we are seeing it right now.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
More irrational and illogical hate towards Ranger

This fan base never changes. Every year there needs to be at least 1 guy that people feel the need to hate . Can't even try to talk to them, they'll just say"he sucks" and never really explain why or blame him for something he didn't do.

We also wont tank this season. We're too good and still picking up points but lets face it. No team, and I mean NO TEAM in the NHL has 6 good NHL ready centres. Hell, most teams barely have 2. Yes, the Leafs are thin down the middle but that hardly means we should be destroying teams without them. Did people honestly expect us to look GOOD against Buffalo? We didn't play terribly but we're playing with a winger at centre and 2 of our other centres are injured or suspended. The leafs have done rather "well" with what they've hda to deal with so people need to stop expecting the Leafs to steam roll teams

We nearly(i know it doesnt count) beat Minnesota, beat NJ and held on vs Boston and Buffalo. It wasn't going to be easy but we'll start winning games when Bozak and Kadri come back, we for dam sure will when Bolland comes back as well.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
We were bad before it too. See Vancouver.
We were without Bozak that game but it was only 1-0 at that point, Bolland went down and they immediately scored. The Leafs were done , I mean you can say that because it was 2-0 but another injury at C certainly didn't help the Leafs

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
We're gonna lose tonight too.

This team absolutely cannot score right now. We would of been shutout if it wasn't for a fluke getting by Miller.

I don't care how many shots Miller had last night, there weren't more than 5 difficult saves he had to make. I can't recall a single time last night that the Leafs looked dangerous in the offensive zone.

I don't envy our goalies one bit. They have to post a shutout to just have a chance to win.

phg

Sep 11, 2013
Puck Posession

The writing has been on the wall since the beginning of the year. The leafs have been consistently outshout and spending far too much time in their own end. To be frank last night was a better game in that regard but it was Buffalo after all. The lack of puck possession and resulting shot against is finally catching up with them. I think those guys that do the analytics were predicting this and unless something changes it's not going to end well...

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
With the forward corp suffering from injury and suspension, it's an opportunity for the team learn how to cut down the GA.

They have been.

Sorry for trying to find a positive, I know that's not the purpose here.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The writing has been on the wall since the beginning of the year. The leafs have been consistently outshout and spending far too much time in their own end. To be frank last night was a better game in that regard but it was Buffalo after all. The lack of puck possession and resulting shot against is finally catching up with them. I think those guys that do the analytics were predicting this and unless something changes it's not going to end well...
The Leafs outshot Buffalo last night 33-27 and still lost. 2011 Leafs out shot their opposition countless nights and didn't win much either.

Why are you ignoring that the Leafs are without Bolland, Bozak, and Kadri? Otherwise known as your entire centre depth?Or JVR moving from the wing to Centre? Thats why we aren't scoring, not because of puck possession but because we don't have enough forwards that can take the pressure off guys like Kessel and JVR or have enough GOOD depth down the middle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad