Post-Game Talk: We Lost, but that's okay We'll Win Tomorrow!

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
Guys, it was the long lay-off that hurt us, we barely beat the Devils that night but I think we just need momentum... 4 goals in 5 games. Ouch! Frustrating as hell but will break through it.

20 games in and we haven't broken through yet

Heck, Wilson's Leafs played better these clowns

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The results do not support this argument.
The eye test certainly does not support your argument.
Thirdly, as long as there is this ridiculous hate towards Bozak here. I think I will point it out especially when it is illustrated how bad we are without him.

Okay but your argument is just as bad because we won both games after Bozak went down and before Bolland went down? Now we don't have Kadri either, so again if my argument is bad yours lacks it's own merit.

Anyways, I agree Bozak improves the line up BUT I also think the line up is better with kadri on 1 and Bozak or Bolland on 2.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Im not calling Scott out. I'm calling Orr and Mclaren out.

Force Scott to fight.

For what purpose? There's no reason for the Leafs to go head hunting after Scott. During the Kessel incident, Scott got a few whacks by Kessel, he got jumped by Ashton and Brennan, he had Clarkson jump over the bench and earn a 10 game suspension just to get up in his face. Leafs responded more than enough in that preseason game. There's no reason to carry that over into a regular season game if it doesn't provide any benefit for the Leafs.

The Leafs are relying on a lot of AHL call-ups and a lot of guys playing in roles above their comfort level. Even if Orr and McLaren are our worst players, they are still better and more useful players than Scott. With an already depleted roster that is leaning on a lot of AHL players, 0 top 6 Cs and our best wingers are playing with no centre, any player sitting in the box for 10 minutes means that an already depleted roster has to pick up the slack. If you're going to sit in the box for that long, then you better damn well have a good reason for it.

When we're icing a relatively healthy roster with at least our top 6 all playing together, then have at it.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Woot, losing to a team that had something to prove to their new management, while down our top 3 centers = Our coach (who finally led us to the playoffs last year) suck!, our team (while they aren't in their best shape) suck too!. Anyone want to ask if Cliff Fletcher wants to come back for round 3?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
That only puts us middle of the pack. 11 teams have lost more man games (9 of which are in our conference).

Don't let context be a stranger to you.

Does missing Kessel for 12 games have the same impact as missing Kulemin for 12 games?

How many of those teams are missing their top 3Cs? If you don't think missing 2 (now 3) of your top Cs doesn't play a factor into things, then we clearly understand hockey differently.

thunderhawk905*

The majority of the Leafs were non-existent. Trevor Smith had a great game for us and was probably our best player...and that says a lot.

You could tell Clarkson wanted it and it reflected in his play. Where was Lupul?

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I 100% believe that Bozak and Clarkson SAID they left money on the table. Why wouldn't they say that? How could you possibly prove them wrong? If I was in their position, that's what I'd say too. If I were Nonis, and dramatically overpaid those players, I would say that they left money on the table too. Why wouldn't I?

But I don't believe for a single second that it's true.

Lebrun's source was probably Bozak's agent or Nonis. I do not form my opinions based on internet rumours. You have any idea how many times Lebrun's has been wrong about inside knoweldge of impending trades?

Are you agreeing with me or yelling at me?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yup and it's been that way for how long?.

7 playoff games out of 3 seasons don't mean much.
We were a pretty dysfunctional team ever since JFJ ran the club. Burke ****ed up, because he couldn't acquire decent goaltending. If we had that, we would've been contending.

Dion @ ~$7 million and Kessel at $8 million isn manageable. We have our goal tandem in place, and our defensive core has actually been pretty effective. The problem with our back end is that it cannot generate good scoring chances anymore. We should - like most good teams - let our puck movers play.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Gunnarsson

That is a very respectable D-core. I see a lot of upside in Franson, but he is not required. On the other hand, those two young defenceman can be had for cheap. If Ranger ( who is playing well) can become our #3, we're going to see him eventually displacing Gunnarsson.

Having said that, our forward core isn't good enough. It is getting obvious that the way to shutdown Kessel is by limiting his room. He is an elite perimeter forward and should be surrounded by PWFs. Regardless, we're not that far from completing our core IMO.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Franson has stunk up the joint for the longest ****ing time possible. This guy has been trash ever since the first 5 games.

Yeah, he's been struggling a lot. I don't even have any possible explanation for it. People like to make Ranger the scapegoat because they focus on his mistakes (even though his mistakes don't usually cost the team) but I think Franson is the guy that should take a seat. I think Ranger has showed progression while Franson beyond his first few games has been stuck in bad to mediocre. And Franson is the only guy that has the luxury of always playing on his correct side because he's the only RHD we have so unlike Gardiner, comfortability isn't an excuse.

Franson is getting points on the board but he looks so much more different this year. He was never a defensive stalwart but his offensive game doesn't look nearly as good.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If we had our TOP THREE centers we wouldn't notice how bad he is offensively, we would still love him for what he is. A fantastic PKer, decent faceoff guy, shutdown center.

Everyone here needs to realize we have 75% of our forwards playing in different roles, we are mixing and matching lines it will be hard to get any chemistry going. This year so far the hockey(injury/suspension) gods have been against us. Stop whining and saying we need to blow it up and just weather the storm and hope we can get back to our old selves when people return.

I also think if Rielly is going to be sitting this many games he should have been sent down, playing him as a forward or Gardiner would be better than bringing up all this riffraff from the AHL.

hush!
the logic you speak, it makes too much sense!

Basically the only line that was unaffected by any change was the JVR-Bozak-Kessel line, because at that time there were no injuries. Bolland's (if i recall correctly, he was with Raymond for the most part) were also mostly together, and Kadri & Lupul were together [the "pairings" as Carlyle likes to deploy].

we've had a revolving door of new people since training camp. We've not had a healthy roster since training camp. Heck we didn't even have a healthy roster IN training camp with McLaren out. and everyone was all like we're outscoring our problems - I didn't see it per-se outscoring the problems, but we had relative BALANCE. we did not have McClement leading rushes, and hoping Colton Orr could finish off the pass.

everyone keeps going "oh durr,guh we've sucked since Vancouver, offensively." yeah - because who were we missing since Vancouver? Bozak and Bolland.

but apparently the story today is

the Leafs Suck, news at eleven.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
What happened to kulimen? He used to grind, hit and hustle. Now he couldn't break an egg on the forecheck. He almost looks disinterested. Did I miss him getting hit hard or something? Looks scared and shell shocked.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
will Bozak be back Thursday for Nashville?

It's the earliest he can return but his return will depend on how he's progressing with his injury. The good thing is that with 5 straight home games, he can practice with the team if his body is ready for it.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Can't really expect much from this team with our top 3 centres out. Rielly scratched to play McLaren who did absolutely nothing, and Franson has been terrible. Hoping for a win tomorrow night, but not expecting one.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Can't really expect much from this team with our top 3 centres out. Rielly scratched to play McLaren who did absolutely nothing, and Franson has been terrible. Hoping for a win tomorrow night, but not expecting one.

It's simple Carlyle needs to dress his best players and sit the weak ones- Mclaren and Orr both in the lineup is absurd, so is JVR at centre. If it were me I'd do this

JVR-Mcclement-Kessel
Kulemin-Gardiner-Clarkson
Lupul-Smith-Raymond
Orr-Smithson-Bodie

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Franson-Rielly
Fraser-Ranger

Riemer

Tibor

May 26, 2010
Toronto
I haven't been to these boards in a while but do people always overreact this much after a loss?

It was a close game considering the Leafs were missing their top three centers and Buffalo were playing hard as they were rejuvenated with a new coach and management. Plus the Sabres have Miller. It Would've gone to OT if JVR beat Ehrhoff.

Bernier had a great game again and T.Smith had his best game as a Leaf and showed he's capable of playing NHL minutes.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I haven't been to these boards in a while but do people always overreact this much after a loss?

It was a close game considering the Leafs were missing their top three centers and Buffalo were playing hard as they were rejuvenated with a new coach and management. Plus the Sabres have Miller. It Would've gone to OT if JVR beat Ehrhoff.

Bernier had a great game again and T.Smith had his best game as a Leaf and showed he's capable of playing NHL minutes.

Yes.

And they even know how to spoil the fun when the team wins games as well :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad