We lose. Hope you'll be healthy soon Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
What's Pejorative Slured? The hit was clean. Gryba sucks.

Unless you mean the NHL's rulebook, then yes - if you want to take hitting out of the game, it's Pejorative Slured.

The principal point of contact was the body/mid-section. There's a video on TSN with Kerry Fraser.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/918384/clip/400

Thanks for posting that link.

When I watched it, it was plain to see why Eller was unconscious before his face hit the ice. His head was torqued significantly from Gryba's shoulder contact.

This will be a tough one for the League to call. As wrong as it feels and the horrible result for Eller and the Habs, I doubt seriously if the NHL suspends Gryba.

I hope I am wrong.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lol what a disgraceful post, I'm embarrassed for you.. Most teams would drool over the chance of getting price.

Ill add you into this as well, embarrassing..

But is it really that embarrassing, seriously?

At some point (considering things persist), we will have to move forward with the mindset that possibly Price might not ever reach the level we all see in him. There's really no 100% certainty that Price will get to that level, so what's wrong in trying to see what could be out there?

Price is still considered by many around the league (from what we hear in the media) to be one of the best keepers. So we should definitely see what's being offered.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Thanks for posting that link.

When I watched it, it was plain to see why Eller was unconscious before his face hit the ice. His head was torqued significantly from Gryba's shoulder contact.

This will be a tough one for the League to call. As wrong as it feels and the horrible result for Eller and the Habs, I doubt seriously if the NHL suspends Gryba.

I hope I am wrong.

Exactly. His head does a 90 degrees spin right before Fraser pauses the video. Don't tell me head wasn't first point of contact.

You know league will do everything it can to not suspend Gryba. Garbage league.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Look at 36 sec, then at 37 right before he pauses it. Watch Eller's head. Common, you don't see it ?
No man, I see the body make contact and then the shoulder contacting as he follows through. I wish I saw it your way. ... well if I'm wishing, I wish we weren't discussing this and Eller was never hit at all.

We need one of those frame by frame video experts to get in here.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Not sure I completely buy this...they still managed to take the lead on the PP. The building was rocking. We were in control.

Then the 5 on 3 PP happened and it all went downhill from there.

My interest in the game took a hit after that event. Imagine if he was your friend and teamate, imagine if you were Diaz. The guys were probably thinking about Lars a lot more than they would have wanted to to finish the game. I'm sure that tomorrow's game will have a more ''Win it for Lars' feel to it.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Look at 36 sec, then at 37 right before he pauses it. Watch Eller's head. Common, you don't see it ?

I agree with you. I saw that.

What worries me is that the NHL will explain it and use Fraser's assessment to simply wash it away and call it a strong hockey play......much like Pacioretty.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Let me know how the defense prevented Price from making 2 routine saves. They didn't, they shook their heads and gave up.

Granted, the Habs did not come out with any fire in the third initially but Ottawa scored on non-dangerous plays. Even Ottawa players were smirking at how easy it was.

Once again it's the playoffs and Price is outplayed at the other end of the rink.

Please explain to me how goal #3 should have been a routine save? I would like to know. I can see the argument on goal #2 and goal #4 (though I think this is the one that is most debatable).

Also if the team gets deflated after their opponent ties the game, then our problems go beyond Price.

As for the errors the D contributed to the goals, on the fouth goal for instance, the gap control between the Ottawa forwards and the Habs defense was putrid, not only that, Subban lost position on Latendresse which allowed Gui to cash in on the second chance. Anderson also gave out many second chances (which demonstrates he far from flawless tonight), but his teammates limited the 2nd and 3rd opportunities.

Problem, it is much easier to just say "it's Price's fault". Does Price need to be better? Yah, I think he should have had the second goal, the 4th goes either way, it was an awful rebound, but no way should the Ottawa forwards be allowed to crash the net like that.

Like I said, if the team gets deflated when their opponents tie the game, then that's what will make this a short series and not Price's play. The team in general over the last few weeks has shown mental weakness.

Doesn't matter. Loss of Eller will have a greater impact. He was so important to this team and it will show in the upcoming games.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Also, in case anyone needed another reason to hate Quebecor:

BJT6knUCcAAO1i4.jpg

If that cover is real I won't say what I really want to say here. :shakehead

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Definitely a scary moment and hope for him to recover soon and get back in the lineup.

Hang in there Eller! :(

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
i dont know how some of you guys around here try to put it all on price .. yes he and the whole team got shaken after what happend to eller.. clearly their heads were taking out of the game and put squarely on the well being of their team mate and friend..

is it what you want to happen? **** NO ... but it did.

plus the dis allowed goal .. they ****** 4th goal allowed for the sens that should have been called back .. it all just started to snow ball.. **** happens.. reset and get ready for game 2. plain and simple

and i hope to god for his sake that guy is suspended ... if not we better go after some sense player.. im sorry but here i think it needs to be an eye for an eye.. its the play off .. you head hunt our star players.. we should return the favour

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
No man, I see the body make contact and then the shoulder contacting as he follows through. I wish I saw it your way. ... well if I'm wishing, I wish we weren't discussing this and Eller was never hit at all.

We need one of those frame by frame video experts to get in here.

I'm not saying that I'm right and that you're wrong, this is more of a general comment in regard with those kind of things but it is always incredible to me that two people can see something so completely different even with slow motion reviews. It baffles me.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What's scary in that picture is not the nose, mouth or blood. It's his eyes. His eyes are open but it doesn't look like someone's there. :(

His eyes looks more like he's in a lot of pain than concussed to me. Breaking your nose just makes you feel awful.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Please explain to me how goal #3 should have been a routine save? I would like to know. I can see the argument on goal #2 and goal #4 (though I think this is the one that is most debatable).

Also if the team gets deflated after their opponent ties the game, then our problems go beyond Price.

As for the errors the D contributed to the goals, on the fouth goal for instance, the gap control between the Ottawa forwards and the Habs defense was putrid, not only that, Subban lost position on Latendresse which allowed Gui to cash in on the second chance. Anderson also gave out many second chances (which demonstrates he far from flawless tonight), but his teammates limited the 2nd and 3rd opportunities.

Problem, it is much easier to just say "it's Price's fault". Does Price need to be better? Yah, I think he should have had the second goal, the 4th goes either way, it was an awful rebound, but no way should the Ottawa forwards be allowed to crash the net like that.

Like I said, if the team gets deflated when their opponents tie the game, then that's what will make this a short series and not Price's play. The team in general over the last few weeks has shown mental weakness.

Doesn't matter. Loss of Eller will have a greater impact. He was so important to this team and it will show in the upcoming games.

Andy, competitive sports revolves around momentum. Always has, always will.

And momentum does not exist or operate in a vacuum.

Put simply, every Habs player is aware of Price's struggles down the stretch. Price is aware of his struggles and his dropping save percentage.

When they saw Price let in that soft goal through the pads, momentum was immediately gone and was replaced by the reality of how fragile Price has been........and then immediately reinforced less than 2 minutes later with the go-ahead goal.

Anything other than that is simply deflecting away from reality.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
First good view I see of it.

It's as I suspected, the shoulder hits the head first.

Right before Fraser pauses the video to show where the contact is, watch Eller's head snap backward. Just 0.2 sec before he pauses it (EDIT: It's at 36-37 sec). the contact occurs 0.2 sec before he pauses it. It's pretty clear that the head is the first point of contact. Wow that video is incredibly dishonest.

The second view from behind you can't see anything. It's worthless.

I agree with you. I just took these snapshots from that video.

ellerhit1.png

ellerhit2.png

There is no reason for Eller's head to turn like that unless it is being contacted. It would be going backwards (perpendicular to the way it is actually going) if it was due to the body being hit alone.

Obviously Gryba got his body, but he ALSO got his head. Why does that disqualify it as a hit to the head? Particularly when the hit is lined up and Eller doesn't move at all!!?

Going to repost this in the Eller thread incase your point gets lost on the Gryba defenders. Not malicious in intent, but still a hit you cannot make. WHY? Well look at what happened. And similar hits get made where the player is ok and so it goes un-policed (although this one was IMO far more brutal than people are making out).

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
What's scary in that picture is not the nose, mouth or blood. It's his eyes. His eyes are open but it doesn't look like someone's there. :(

He is in shock and is semi-conscious.

Doubt he will even remember the ride off the ice on the stretcher.

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
Just my thoughts on this, and I am not a Price hater but If this is the consistency Anderson imposes on this series, the Habs simply don't have a goaltender with the mental tools to keep up

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Put simply, every Habs player is aware of Price's struggles down the stretch. Price is aware of his struggles and his dropping save percentage.

When they saw Price let in that soft goal through the pads, momentum was immediately gone and was replaced by the reality of how fragile Price has been........and then immediately reinforced less than 2 minutes later with the go-ahead goal.

Not to mention the guys battled. They really did. 40 shots after two required a ton of effort. They wanted to be the next to score. They didn't want the sens to go up by 2. They wanted to do everything possible to get a lead. Sometimes pucks go in, sometimes they don't. But the players made every effort to make them go in. The results will vary but you can't blame them on effort. Seeing the amount of effort required to get 2 past Anderson, and the amount of effort needed by the sens to get 3 past Price ? It would deflate just about ANY team. I don't understand how people don't see that. There couldn't be a clearer case of this. And people still refuse to see it. So when it's more subtle they'll never acknowledge it either.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I agree with you. I just took these snapshots from that video.

ellerhit1.png

ellerhit2.png

There is no reason for Eller's head to turn like that unless it is being contacted. It would be going backwards (perpendicular to the way it is actually going) if it was due to the body being hit alone.

Obviously Gryba got his body, but he ALSO got his head. Why does that disqualify it as a hit to the head? Particularly when the hit is lined up and Eller doesn't move at all!!?

Going to repost this in the Eller thread incase your point gets lost on the Gryba defenders. Not malicious in intent, but still a hit you cannot make. WHY? Well look at what happened. And similar hits get made where the player is ok and so it goes un-policed (although this one was IMO far more brutal than people are making out).

Good job on the pictures.

Look at the second one. His knees/legs are basically in the same position as in the first picture. That indicates that the hip to hip collision has not happened yet. But Eller's head is already twisted to the side.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

If you played sports, even just amateur among friends, then you know that's not true.

I play in a hockey league with friends, one of our goalies isn't all that good, yet we never give up, play less intense, be fragile, whenever he lets in a bad goal.
I mean, we're just playing for fun, but we still stay focus to battle back and win.
So in the NHL, the Playoffs, the Mother of All for hockey players, I seriously doubt players are going to get rattled because their goalie let a weak one in. It goes against what any PO team is about.

I personally don't think our team stopped playing at any time, even down by two.

Momentum helps, but it can switch back and forth multiple times a game. Letting a bad goal in can certainly be a momentum shift, so can be a big save, a big hit, a nice play, a PP, a PK, and it's not because you lose the momentum that you quit. We didn't quit tonight. That's just not true.

Yozzy

Feb 19, 2012
Ridiculous.

Price will bounce back, kids a star. We can win with him and we did all season long.

Diaz made a bad pass, it's a quick game.

Both have been good almost all season.

Our team is great, and we're moving in the right direction.

We're young with not a lot of experience.

Starting to feel like the only Habs fan here.

We're still gonna win this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad