Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think we're starting to learn why the financial agreement took months of back and forth negotiating while the "health concerns" side was resolved within 24 hours.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If the league isn't going to protect the players, I can't imagine that the players will want to keep playing under these circumstances.

Manfred just took the crown for the worst commish in pro sports. Allowing the Marlins to play is the dumbest possible thing I've heard.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If the league isn't going to protect the players, I can't imagine that the players will want to keep playing under these circumstances.

Manfred just took the crown for the worst commish in pro sports. Allowing the Marlins to play is the dumbest possible thing I've heard.

Pretty sure he already was, but it's at the point where legal action should probably begin to take place against him.

If the MLB knew about the outbreak and said "whatever" that's just putting players/teams/league in even more danger than they already are. Way to absolutely f*** the season MLB, you f***ing idiots.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What do you mean?

Well the biggest difference is that the NHL is bubbling players in either Toronto or Edmonton .. The MLB is allowing teams to play in their home city's, with teams travelling all across the country.

Pretty big difference .. Not to mention Toronto and Edmonton's case counts are much lower than the US reducing the risk as well.

Less chances of it happening in the NHL.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Pretty sure he already was, but it's at the point where legal action should probably begin to take place against him.

If the MLB knew about the outbreak and said "whatever" that's just putting players/teams/league in even more danger than they already are. Way to absolutely f*** the season MLB, you f***ing idiots.

This is on everyone. The MLB are idiots for letting them play, and the players are idiots for wanting to play considering they had to know how it was going to end.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This is on everyone. The MLB are idiots for letting them play, and the players are idiots for wanting to play considering they had to know how it was going to end.

I mean, the league should have been put in a bubble from the first day teams began to play against each other. It's asinine to even pretend that you would be able to get through an entire season with teams traveling every 3~ days, with one team not even having a f***ing home prior to the beginning of the year.

Find a place in butt-f*** Indiana that has 3 diamonds close together with hotels nearby and play 3-4 games on each field, each day.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The MLB's reputation just got tarnished in a hurry if it wasn't already. The Marlins playing despite cases is extremely awful, and shows the MLB had no clue about safety.
If they have any self respect left, they cancel the season today.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Well the biggest difference is that the NHL is bubbling players in either Toronto or Edmonton .. The MLB is allowing teams to play in their home city's, with teams travelling all across the country.

Pretty big difference .. Not to mention Toronto and Edmonton's case counts are much lower than the US reducing the risk as well.

Less chances of it happening in the NHL.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
How dumb of the MLB to start with full travel. You can expect Miami to not play a game for 14 days because that is the required quarantine time. How is that going to work? MLB is in trouble.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

As asinine as MLB is for not stepping in and saying "like hell you guys are playing while this is happening to you", it's not all their fault. The players are all (legally speaking) adults, as are team management. The fact that they couldn't recognize the severity of the situation while they were smack in the middle of it is just as if not more galling.

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
How dumb of the MLB to start with full travel. You can expect Miami to not play a game for 14 days because that is the required quarantine time. How is that going to work? MLB is in trouble.

If the season even continues after this scheduled owners meeting that's taking place right now, I'm assuming the infected players/coaches will have to sit out until they're negative, then wait 2 weeks in quarantine.

The players who were around the infected players but have had negative tests will have to wait 24 hours, get another negative test, and then will probably be cleared to play games. The issue is the players/coaches who tested positive will have to be replaced by non-MLB level talent (as if the most of the Marlins aren't already), and they/the MLB become an even bigger joke for allowing it to happen.

Reactions: lottster14

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

They wanted to put the players in a bubble, and the players rejected it. Both sides wanted to play for the $$ anyway. It's an "everyone sucks" scenario.

Buttman is still worse.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think we're starting to learn why the financial agreement took months of back and forth negotiating while the "health concerns" side was resolved within 24 hours.
The decision being left up to Don Mattingly and co to decide whether or not they will play after having multiple positive tests "We decided we aren't quitters!!" Yeah I am sure covid cares. Everyone involved from MLB to the PA to the Marlins should be ashamed of themselves honestly.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Marlins thing is really dumb. From MGT to players. Then apparently the League knew about it and didn’t do anything.
Just Cancel the Season, MLB.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
As asinine as MLB is for not stepping in and saying "like hell you guys are playing while this is happening to you", it's not all their fault. The players are all (legally speaking) adults, as are team management. The fact that they couldn't recognize the severity of the situation while they were smack in the middle of it is just as if not more galling.

The players/coaches should have known better. It's ridiculous to me they had a TEAM MEETING about the situation and apparently they had absolutely no intention of not playing. According to Rojas it wasn't even a thought.

How does the league not step in, or at least how does not a single player/coach drum up enough common sense to realize how f***ing stupid it was.

f***ing Florida in a nutshell.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
They'd end up with a similar record, only hurting teams that play in their division looking for auto-wins.

They gotta make the punishments steep for this nonsense. Take away their 1st round pick. Cut their international spending.

How can the league punish the team when the league told the team they could play if they wanted to?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

That is unfathomable, and yet it actually happened.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
They wanted to put the players in a bubble, and the players rejected it. Both sides wanted to play for the $$ anyway. It's an "everyone sucks" scenario.

Buttman is still worse.
Say what you want about Bettman, the NHL has handled the virus infinitely better than the MLB. Hub cities and a bubble were a must for pro sports during this. They even managed to extend the CBA long term lol

Reactions: Merrrlin

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If I were a star player I would be sitting out the season. If you contract COVID and have permanent lung scarring as a result, your future earning potential is in jeopardy.

There will be a vaccine in the fall, and there is no sense risking playing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad