Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If the league isn't going to protect the players, I can't imagine that the players will want to keep playing under these circumstances.

Manfred just took the crown for the worst commish in pro sports. Allowing the Marlins to play is the dumbest possible thing I've heard.

But they did. The Marlins' clubhouse was burning down around them and they collectively went "this is fine" and continued gearing up for the game.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Say what you want about Bettman, the NHL has handled the virus infinitely better than the MLB. Hub cities and a bubble were a must for pro sports during this. They even managed to extend the CBA long term lol

Yup Bettman was already miles above Manfred and Goddell and the gap has only widened over the last little bit.

Reactions: Maplebeasts

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
The Marlins thing is really dumb. From MGT to players. Then apparently the League knew about it and didn’t do anything.
Just Cancel the Season, MLB.
More money more problems. They were desperate to continue for their finances, and cancelling now makes them look even worse and is worse financially for them. That's why the NHL needs to be done right

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Testing and removing positive cases should work, but if the test results take 3 days to come back it's pointless. The first Marlins cases we heard about was on Saturday, that means they tested positive in their Wednesday tests. These latest cases today would mean they tested positive Friday. So the latest 12 guys to get it had it before we even knew about the first 4. That's just never going to work. Other sports have been getting same day result. If you can determine someone is contagious and remove them within 24 hours of becoming contagious(every day testing with same day results) then you should be able to contain an outbreak and only have small pockets of cases at worst. Given these other 12 guys would have been positive on Friday I would not be shocked in the Saturday and Sunday testing results in everyone on that team being positive at this point. You're not weeding out cases if it takes you 3 to 4 days from the test to removal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Would anyone consider not using Pearson here this coming week when he's first eligible? Give it a week or so to see if the season is cancelled before putting him on the roster and regretting it reference service time later?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Would anyone consider not using Pearson here this coming week when he's first eligible? Give it a week or so to see if the season is cancelled before putting him on the roster and regretting it reference service time later?

Naw, I think you go forward under the assumption that the season will continue and plan on using Pearson from opening day 2021 instead of pushing him back a few weeks again.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Naw, I think you go forward under the assumption that the season will continue and plan on using Pearson from opening day 2021 instead of pushing him back a few weeks again.

What are the service time rules regarding a cancelled season? Say we put him on the roster for a day and then next day the season is cancelled, does he get credit for the rest of the year or would be in pro-rated to 1/8 because he spent 1 of the 8 days on the roster?

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
What are the service time rules regarding a cancelled season? Say we put him on the roster for a day and then next day the season is cancelled, does he get credit for the rest of the year or would be in pro-rated to 1/8 because he spent 1 of the 8 days on the roster?
I believe any cancelled season is a year of service time now that it actually started.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes and no, that NBA guy who left the NBA bubble to go see a family member, league approved, only to post pics of himself at a strip club that night... because when you think of sanitary, a strip club is the first place that pops in your head... you cant control stupid. I'm guessing the Marlins story is something stupid like that.

Yeah. I’m talking more in terms of general principles and what each league decided to do. But I know what you mean.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So with these cancelled games we're going to have everyone playing a different number of games correct? Can't wait for the strategy of someone getting off to a quick start 5-1, then trying to find ways to get the rest of their games cancelled, sucks to be the team that went 45-15 but we're 5-1 so we win the division with a better winning percentage :sarcasm:

edit: Miami actually would probably win the NL East with their current record :laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So with these cancelled games we're going to have everyone playing a different number of games correct? Can't wait for the strategy of someone getting off to a quick start 5-1, then trying to find ways to get the rest of their games cancelled, sucks to be the team that went 45-15 but we're 5-1 so we win the division with a better winning percentage :sarcasm:

Good luck not having an asterisk next to this season’s results. People talked about the Stanley Cup winner having an asterisk next to their name but this is a whole different level lol.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
If I were a star player I would be sitting out the season. If you contract COVID and have permanent lung scarring as a result, your future earning potential is in jeopardy.

There will be a vaccine in the fall, and there is no sense risking playing right now.
A vaccine by the fall would be a genuine miracle.

I'd imagine the vaccine that's coming is gonna be a periodically taken shot with less effectiveness while a more permanent vaccine goes through the full gamut of trials and takes years to build. But I'd be shocked if a vaccine came before late winter (Jan/Feb of 2021), and that's just a vaccine ready for mass production. It'll take longer than that to mass produce it and have it readily available since the demand and urgency will be unprecedented.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
A vaccine by the fall would be a genuine miracle.

I'd imagine the vaccine that's coming is gonna be a periodically taken shot with less effectiveness while a more permanent vaccine goes through the full gamut of trials and takes years to build. But I'd be shocked if a vaccine came before late winter (Jan/Feb of 2021), and that's just a vaccine ready for mass production. It'll take longer than that to mass produce it and have it readily available since the demand and urgency will be unprecedented.

The vaccine out of Oxford has already begun mass production. It'll just be a matter of whether the Phase 3 clinical trial is a success, and then regulatory agencies suspending the need for a Phase 4 extended trial based on necessity.

And if the Moderna vaccine is successful (moved onto phase 3 today), then it's production will be easy to scale up because it's an RNA-based vaccine and not a traditional attenuated virus vaccine.

There never really has been a situation like COVID where the entire scientific community has redirected their resources towards a singular problem. I have full confidence that a vaccine will be ready before the end of 2020.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'll actually be surprised if guys don't come out now and say "Screw it, I'm out." This just seems like a dangerous proposition at this point.

Reactions: BertCorbeau
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->