Salary Cap: We Found Our Thrill at the Temple of The Phil (Part XII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Switch around Lovejoy and Dumo.

That's not a realistic ask. Lovejoy was told he'll be a top 4 guy here. There's almost no way he gets benched for a rookie. If that's what you really expect to happen, then prepare to be very disappointed.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Montreal won't trade their 1st for Sutter.

I'm almost positive someone will, whoever we get that pick from its the one that will be added in the Kessel trade.

If not, then I'd trade for Oshie or skinner, keep Kapanen and sign drew stafford, Chris Stewart or try and sign Justin Williams short term as a bridge to kapanen.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm almost positive someone will, whoever we get that pick from its the one that will be added in the Kessel trade.

If not, then I'd trade for Oshie, keep Kapanen and sign drew stafford, Chris Stewart or try and sign Justin Williams short term as a bridge to kapanen.

We're not going to get a 1st for Sutter.

There is no-one desperate for a center.

At best a mid-low 2nd.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

At best a mid-low 2nd.

I think a 2nd and a young player (or just 1-1 for a young player with some potential) is a realistic return that would allow JR to have several options and he could then just pick the best one.

My fear is that JR wants a 1-1 player deal, and we end up with Lupul. Brouwer would be a godsend, but I don't see Washington needing Sutter so much that they send us a winger.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

At best a mid-low 2nd.

Maybe not, but from the sounds of it Sutter is prized around the league as a 2C with potential.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/dreger-unlikely-kessel-ends-up-with-pens-1.315577

4:30 minute mark. Very good stuff from Darren Dreger, who spoke with GMJR yesterday re: Kessel.

Said, They'd have to send out a lot of salary (mentions Sutter - who Dreger calls a great young guy with a LOT of upside, and Kunitz) to pick up Kessel, even though GMJR is appreciative of the fact that Kessel is an elite goal scorer.

And the Leafs want good young players and draft picks. They don't want bigger salary players. So the Pens would have to trade cheaper players, and retain the more expensive players in a deal with them. Therefore, not easy for Pittsburgh.

Dreger: "HIGHLY highly unlikely the Pens end up with Kessel. I mean, if a highly offensive team like the Pens could pick up one more offensive weapon, that'd be good, but I just don't see it as being the right fit."

I think, if Galchenyuk really wants out, Kessel's a Hab. Habs can't do better than Kessel for Gally and Leafs can't do better than Gally for Kessel.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Galchenyuk would be a great fit with Toronto, Kessel would be pretty much in the exact same situation in Montreal as he is now though. Elite winger with so-so centers dealing with crazy media.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Galchenyuk would be a great fit with Toronto, Kessel would be pretty much in the exact same situation in Montreal as he is now though. Elite winger with so-so centers dealing with crazy media.

While true, MTL is on his (current) approved trade list.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Therrien has a share of responsibility in why Galchenyuk is unhappy in MTL... of course, the coach isn't everything in a player's unhappiness. The best bet to trade away Galchenyuk from MTL is to a team with need of youth in the middle.

Of course, Therrien has a track record of having major fits with Russians. Remember the Malkin-Sykora thingy? So while the coach IS the coach...you always gotta wonder.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/dreger-unlikely-kessel-ends-up-with-pens-1.315577

4:30 minute mark. Very good stuff from Darren Dreger, who spoke with GMJR yesterday re: Kessel.

Said, They'd have to send out a lot of salary (mentions Sutter - who Dreger calls a great young guy with a LOT of upside, and Kunitz) to pick up Kessel, even though GMJR is appreciative of the fact that Kessel is an elite goal scorer.

And the Leafs want good young players and draft picks. They don't want bigger salary players. So the Pens would have to trade cheaper players, and retain the more expensive players in a deal with them. Therefore, not easy for Pittsburgh.

Dreger: "HIGHLY highly unlikely the Pens end up with Kessel. I mean, if a highly offensive team like the Pens could pick up one more offensive weapon, that'd be good, but I just don't see it as being the right fit."

But but but but but but but but we neeeeeedz Kessel! We can sign others too! I'm not gonna listen to Dreger...and all the other who said we are not in the hunt. What do they know!? They ain't a HFB poster!

"We are going to go younger on defense"

*signs Paul Martin*

The Penguin way.

Sign Martin $6mil/6yr, trade Pouliot for Sharp. Book it.

I'm indifferent about Skinner as a player, but the $5.7mil cap hit scares the hell out of me for a player with his injury record and has only had one really good year.

He's quite decent...just not the guy that would be high on MY list.

I think, if Galchenyuk really wants out, Kessel's a Hab. Habs can't do better than Kessel for Gally and Leafs can't do better than Gally for Kessel.

There are so many trades out there for Kessel and Galchenyuk that make so much more sense than either to Pit. That's one of them. Gally+ for Kessel...could work out quite well for both side. As would something like Okposo for Eberle.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
With the Kessel talk, I don't know why the Pens can't trade their higher prices veterans (Sutter, Kunitz and Scuderi) to other teams for futures, and then move those futures for Kessel. I guess that just makes too much sense.

Dreger is basically saying that since we can't trade our high priced veterans to Toronto, we can't easily trade for Kessel. He's saying that as if there aren't 28 other teams we could trade with. If Toronto wants young players, why not include Sutter in the deal and then trade Kunitz in another deal? That's not difficult, or at least it shouldn't be.

That would be ideal, but would also require at least three trades (including the one with Toronto for Kessel). That's a lot of work for the Pittsburgh 9.

Montreal won't trade their 1st for Sutter.

I remain unconvinced of this. The Montreal media and their fans are literally OBSESSED with the center position, even tall gangly ones.

That's not a realistic ask. Lovejoy was told he'll be a top 4 guy here. There's almost no way he gets benched for a rookie. If that's what you really expect to happen, then prepare to be very disappointed.

Well, there's nothing realistic about Lovejoy anymore. He may have been told to be a top-4 guy, but those same people thought he was equal value for Simon frickin' Despres.

All bets are off now.

That would REALLY suck for us because it does make some sense and we could really use both players.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sutter's worth a high 2nd in this draft and a B/C level prospect imo or a 2nd line winger ala Perron.
MAYBBE could find a team with 2/3 1st round picks to give up one for him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad