Salary Cap: We Found Our Thrill at the Temple of The Phil (Part XII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
No issues bringing back Pmart if it isn't for huge term. I'd love him on this team for 2-3 more years, but hate him for 5.

Pretty much. Although, and this might seem crazy to the Pens, you don't have to keep a player for the whole contract. :amazed:

So as long as he's a tradable bridge to the young guys being ready longer term could still be fine. Just don't sit there refusing to trade him when you should and can. The problem is that it's the Pens and they're liable to be slow.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Bringing Martin back is a joke. Look at the pairing. How soft do you want this defense to get? Pens need to get faster and Martin offers no shot, no real speed, nor is he any threat on the PP. Yes lets sign him for three years and watch the same nonsense again. why not extend Scuderi why JR is at it. Great Martin watch him miss 30 games next year, good move.

I mostly agree.

Clinging to Martin seems like a very scared/we have no ideas thing to do.

SweetStache

Jan 28, 2013
I'm fine with bringing Martin back 5.5 for 4 years so long as there is no no-trade/movement clause anywhere in the contract.

That way, he gets the contract $ & term he needs and we have a valuable trade asset to move as soon as we feel comfortable with the kids on the blue-line, be that before the 2016 trade deadline or after.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
ok, so everyone wants Sutter gone, Galy on the Pens, and Dupuis/Kunitz either dumped or on the 3rd line, how about:

to EDM: Maata, 46th OA
to PIT: Hall

to MTL: Sutter, Kunitz, Bennett
to PIT: Galcheyuk

Cap dump: Scuderi for any pick

sign: Johnny Oduya

Hall - Crosby - Hornqvist
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Perron
Comeau - Sundqvist - Dupuis
Wilson - Spaling - Rust

Oduya - Letang
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Cole - Dumoulin

Sundqvist as the 3c is precarious, but i think in terms of the trade value its all there. the d isn't the greatest but it'll be efficient. that would be the best top 6 in the league no doubt though

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm fine with bringing Martin back 5.5 for 4 years so long as there is no no-trade/movement clause anywhere in the contract.

That way, he gets the contract $ & term he needs and we have a valuable trade asset to move as soon as we feel comfortable with the kids on the blue-line, be that before the 2016 trade deadline or after.

That also strikes me as unrealistic. Martin and his agent will certainly balk at any offer that doesn't at least include a limited NMC. It's more or less standard for a player at his age/experience level/league standing. Hell... it's more or less standard anymore, period.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Hopefully we don't spend a bunch of money on the defense and also get stuck with Scuderi. If that happened I would demand a trade if I was Crosby and Malkin.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
All good points.
IF you sign Martin to 5.5 or so for 4yrs, you better damn well make sure you can use him for trade bait in the future.
Very easy to walk away from the table with these specific stipulations.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
ok, so everyone wants Sutter gone, Galy on the Pens, and Dupuis/Kunitz either dumped or on the 3rd line, how about:

to EDM: Maata, 46th OA
to PIT: Hall

to MTL: Sutter, Kunitz, Bennett
to PIT: Galcheyuk

Cap dump: Scuderi for any pick

sign: Johnny Oduya

Hall - Crosby - Hornqvist
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Perron
Comeau - Sundqvist - Dupuis
Wilson - Spaling - Rust

Oduya - Letang
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Cole - Dumoulin

Sundqvist as the 3c is precarious, but i think in terms of the trade value its all there. the d isn't the greatest but it'll be efficient. that would be the best top 6 in the league no doubt though

I don't think Edmonton wants to trade McDavid's winger for the next 10 or so years

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
For Martin it's all about term. If he's interested in coming back for 3 years at 4 million per I do that deal all day. I'd even be okay with going a little higher on the money, but anything longer term is a no.

I really don't like the three year term for Martin. Two sounds so much better to me. Pretty sure he would not take two though which is also fine with me.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
again.jpg

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Lovejoy is not good with anyone at any time.

Lovejoy played fine for them, solid defensive bottom 3. not worth Despres obviously, but still. you have a lot of negative opinions on everyone's proposals, what do you want the Pens to do?

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Unless the team signs Martin 5+ years (which would be monumentally stupid) why, exactly, is he going to be taking a paycut? I don't see any way he signs a short term contract for the Penguins and if he did it would be right around the 6M AAV mark. And I think maybe even that is being conservative.
Bringing Martin back is a joke. Look at the pairing. How soft do you want this defense to get? Pens need to get faster and Martin offers no shot, no real speed, nor is he any threat on the PP. Yes lets sign him for three years and watch the same nonsense again. why not extend Scuderi why JR is at it. Great Martin watch him miss 30 games next year, good move.

Seriously I think I'm taking crazy pills.

Did people somehow forget martin wasn't one of the defensemen out injured when they could barely average one goal a game for weeks on end including the playoffs? When the excuse de jour for why they weren't scoring was because they had no puck moving defensemen? That was with martin playing 1st pairing minutes people. Now some of you are just fine bringing an even older version back who by their own logic is an incompetent puck moving defensmen for what absolutely won't be a bargain contract (did people also forget what freaking orpik got)? :banghead:

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
With the way Martin played against the Rangers like he didn't want to be there I'm shocked this is even a possibility

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
If Martin is signed to 4 years regardless of cap hit that will just go to show how bad things really are with the Pens. Probably the only reason he would be considered even short term is the stupid *** Despres trade.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Seriously I think I'm taking crazy pills.

Did people somehow forget martin wasn't one of the defensemen out injured when they could barely average one goal a game for weeks on end including the playoffs? When the excuse de jour for why they weren't scoring was because they had no puck moving defensemen? That was with martin playing 1st pairing minutes people. Now some of you are just fine bringing an even older version back who by their own logic is an incompetent puck moving defensmen for what absolutely won't be a bargain contract (did people also forget what freaking orpik got)? :banghead:

Martin wasn't part of the problem. Thing is, when you only have 2 capable PMDs that aren't injured, you aren't going to see much production. The Lovejoy and Scuderi's along with the rookie D-men would be more the issue.

Martin is a solid defensive and all around d-man. He is smart and can set up goals.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I wouldn't mind seeing the Pens try to pry Oshie and one of Jaskin, Fabbri, Barbashev, Rattie off their hands as well.

Maybe Sutter, BB, Harrington, and a 3rd in 2016?

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
unless martin is coming at a steep steep discount and a short term i have no idea why the penguins even consider him. almost impossible to convince me that icing a cheap defense and spending on forwards isnt the only way forward for this team

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
unless martin is coming at a steep steep discount and a short term i have no idea why the penguins even consider him. almost impossible to convince me that icing a cheap defense and spending on forwards isnt the only way forward for this team

3.5x2 for two years, maybe 4.0 for 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad