Post-Game Talk (GBU): WE DID IT!!! McEichel

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Icing on the cake is that we could even **** over Pittsburgh, which is always nice :laugh:

Maybe Ottawa will lock it down in the early game, so it can be a "Pittston". If Sabres lose Boston is out. If they win Pisstburgh is out. Neither is a bad outcome really. Sorta like McEichel.

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
maxresdefault.jpg

Tanks a lot

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
And what no one has really mentioned is that now we also have guaranteed ourselves #31. This pick is a guaranteed 1st round caliber prospect. Every draft has 1-2 guys who should have been first round picks bth for some reason fall. I think #31 will be extremely valuable. To be honest I'm hoping we can swing a trade where we move #31 and acquire a 2016 1st.

Maybe just make the pick in a draft that's this strong. I mean, Barbashev was a great pick last year at 31 :sarcasm:

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I dont get the incentive to fire Nolan immediately other than sour grapes of him almost derailing the tank, he did fine work with a bunch of scrubs, why not see what he can do with actual talent?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I dont get the incentive to fire Nolan immediately other than sour grapes of him almost derailing the tank, he did fine work with a bunch of scrubs, why not see what he can do with actual talent?

Nolan is a coach that will play Ellis or Reinhart because Ellis is established and "works hard." I want Nolan no where near young talent.

Faschinating

Apr 9, 2015
NC

I think that's the concern....

You get the feel that Nolan will always be able to make a bad team look competitive, but do people really have the confidence that he can be successful coaching cerebral players like Reinhart or provide the right environment for our other prospects to flourish?

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Not to be the devil on your shoulder but I tried that abstinence thing....that didn't work out...take a sip

Psalm 104 said:
He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

Although I think "face" was translated to "hair" in Latin :naughty:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think that's the concern....

You get the feel that Nolan will always be able to make a bad team look competitive, but do people really have the confidence that he can be successful coaching cerebral players like Reinhart or provide the right environment for our other prospects to flourish?

The compete level of a Nolan team is apparent.

My question is can he create a system that allows the players to flourish while have the integrity of a system that allows you go plug and play players? Does he have the ability to outcoach any of his counterparts? Does he know how to use matchups to his advantage?

I would have no problem with having him one more season. I think for us to take the next step the rest of the coaching staff needs to step up as well.

I think Murray gives him half a season, if there's no internal improvement in play, strategy, and development of players, then I think one of the assistants takes his place. I'm not holding the end of the season against him. I think he did his job. Ennis' game improved, Girgensens improved, Ristolanien improved immensely, Larssons game improved.

I think most of us at the beginning of the year said that the most important thing for this season was to see our kids develop. It wasn't until McEichel became reachable that we turned out focus away from that thought and strictly worried about losing only.

I commend Nolan for doing a good job with the young guys, and quite frankly I was happy with the change in play level that Benoit and Mes played at. At the beginning of the year they were a tire fire back there. By the end of the year they looked like competent NHL players again with sometimes being the reason why we won.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
It's not an issue of Nolan getting his players to compete.

It's an issue that he will take shots at his players and boss, and has no clue how to manage players.

He'd be a pretty good assistant coach to have, he's not a head coach in this league.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Question....What do they say when they fire Nolan?

I can easily see Murray adopting one of, if not all, the following bylines - not just aimed at the coaching staff but even to pre-emptively explain roster moves he'll make this summer:

"We're heading in a new direction..."

"We need to improve and get better in all areas...."

"We're entering a time of great change....change is good."

"It's important for everyone to be rowing in the same direction...."

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
I am feeling really releaved right now. I'm thrilled that we locked up 30th. All day yesterday I had a sinking feeling we'd win and have to deal with a restless crowd tonight at home. I can't be more happy. Now we wait for the lottery.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
It's not an issue of Nolan getting his players to compete.

It's an issue that he will take shots at his players and boss, and has no clue how to manage players.

He'd be a pretty good assistant coach to have, he's not a head coach in this league.

I always think back to the Miracle On Ice team and the intentional dynamic of HC Brooks and asst. coach Patrick - Brooks told the players if they need a friend, go talk to Patrick. That allowed him to stay neutral and tough and let his assistant be the buffer / sounding board for the players. Nolan's empathy for the less-talented players that work hard seems well-suited to being that kind of middle-man buffer who can motivate players.

What probably works against him going to that role is that most assistant coaches seem to be in charge of specialty teams - and Nolan is known to not be strong on tactical strategies or systems.

It would also be a big question mark if Nolan's penchant for being outspoken and challenging decisions by his superiors might scare off any head coaches from considering him as their aide unless it's a long-time personal friendship situation between Nolan and that head coach.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Say, has anyone heard anything from Josh Cooper since last night?

That Puck Daddy blogger who wrote about how Arizona and Carolina deserved McEichel so much more than Buffalo or Edmonton, and was trolling Sabre fans on Twitter all season long by telling them that Hanifin was going to Buffalo.

I wonder what he has to say for himself.

Edit: Nevermind I went and found out. Still trolling Sabre fans.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

That Puck Daddy blogger who wrote about how Arizona and Carolina deserved McEichel so much more than Buffalo or Edmonton, and was trolling Sabre fans on Twitter all season long by telling them that Hanifin was going to Buffalo.

Balding, gollum-looking dude is a troll.. Who would've guessed?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

This guy a little slow? That trade won Colorado/Quebec the cup. :laugh:
(not that they do that)

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Maybe a little silly question but would you trade for the equivalent today...

McDavid instead of Lindros

Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, the Flyers first-round pick 7th overall $15 million(Not sure what this is worth, another first?)

or

Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, John Vanbiesbrouck, Doug Weight, three first-round picks and $12 million.

Lets take out the money for another 1st since money cant be traded anymore.

Take it those guys entering their prime.

Would you make the trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad