Post-Game Talk: We are the ones...who gave up four straight goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
This team is so bad in our own zone. Its like they are running around as if they are a man down.... But they are not down.

Cant Hynes tweak the system somewhat.

Also tweak the system when you are up a goal or two... It's getting painful.

Also, they rarely get shots through from the point, mostly always lookimg for tips and wide shots occur.

May not watch tonight...

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I am still cautiously optimistic that Cory picks up his play. Never back to a 92 or anything, but he’s definitely better than the current 84 which was in large part caused by defensive gaps and gaffes (seriously, if there was a video of all the goals he let in, you couldn’t help but laugh at the terrible defending)

for that matter, we saw as much last night - I counted 3 open one timers 10 feet from goal that the Flames connected on. Believe 2 went wide somehow and 1 went in. One of them (or maybe two) was 5v5. Good teams are not doing that so frequently unless their system is run n gun
Open one timers and partial breakaway galore. It seemed like every other shift a Flame was splitting the defense or beating defenders to the outside for one-on-one attempts in close.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I really think the mentality of the team (and I'm referring to both the players and the staff) is that they don't know how to handle adversity. When something goes wrong, the overall sense is that they crater. I'm not sure if it's just PTSD from opening night and it continuing to carry over through the first month of the season, but when things go bad, they start to get in their own heads. They start to try and get fancy, try to do too much, etc.

I do think a better, more experienced coach probably handles these situations better. That said, the players need to stop trying to force things the way they do as well. It's clear as day they try to over complicate things once they give up a goal or once they go down. When things start to snowball, they can't get out of their own way.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
It's also possible that they just played a bad game against an experienced team. It happens. The biggest question is how they bounce back. If it's just an off night and they recover, not a big deal. If it's indicative of their play moving forward, it's obviously a much larger issue.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's also possible that they just played a bad game against an experienced team. It happens. The biggest question is how they bounce back. If it's just an off night and they recover, not a big deal. If it's indicative of their play moving forward, it's obviously a much larger issue.

True, I think they got away from doing the things that were making them successful the past two games. I don't think the penalties helped much either, and some of those were certainly questionable.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
True, I think they got away from doing the things that were making them successful the past two games. I don't think the penalties helped much either, and some of those were certainly questionable.

I think some of the reaction is more about the earlier performances, where this kind of loss means more than it should - given how things started. I'm trying to put it into context of since the Ranger game - we've largely seen a different team - mostly. If this is a game that exists in the context of 4-1-2 in last 7, than this is just one of those kind of nights that'll happen over 82. Largely played well in period 1, things got a way from them in period 2, some really weak weak calls, a puck goes in off defender and some rough matchups - and things unraveled a little. I'm more curious to see how the group responds. If anything - I can see how they responded after the Philly loss last week, and am hopeful tthey can give Edmonton a game tonight.

If you told me 6/10 points on the trip before it - i think we all would take it - problem is the start 0-4-2 makes each loss more magnified because we're in last place.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
This team is so bad in our own zone. Its like they are running around as if they are a man down.... But they are not down.

Cant Hynes tweak the system somewhat.

Also tweak the system when you are up a goal or two... It's getting painful.

Also, they rarely get shots through from the point, mostly always lookimg for tips and wide shots occur.

May not watch tonight...
I disagree.

We actually play well when we're a man down (first few games aside). I dunno why we can't carry that defensive play into 5v5 play.

Also, I think part of the problem is that we DO tweak when we're up. Maybe it's not the coaching or player mentality, but we get into trouble when we try to turtle up. We don't have the right guys to do that, and it goes against our "best D is good O" theology.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I disagree.

We actually play well when we're a man down (first few games aside). I dunno why we can't carry that defensive play into 5v5 play.

Also, I think part of the problem is that we DO tweak when we're up. Maybe it's not the coaching or player mentality, but we get into trouble when we try to turtle up. We don't have the right guys to do that, and it goes against our "best D is good O" theology.

The Devils don’t play a “best D is good O” style. That would mean the Devils attempt to keep the puck in the other teams zone for longer periods so that the Devils don’t have to play defense. The Devils are the opposite, effectively turtling all game defensively and hoping to bury their chances off the rush or on the PP.

The Devils struggle with the lead because once other teams defenseman pinch more on the halfboards the Devils have trouble getting the puck out of the zone. That’s true for everyone, in general, but the Devils are particularly vulnerable because of how far away their wingers play when the puck is on the other side of the ice.

Their turtle is more effective the less aggressive other teams are being so the flaws show up less when teams aren’t pressing. The sooner a team adjusts to be more aggressive, regardless of score, the sooner the ice tilts heavily against the Devils.

Reactions: Nubmer6

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I don't like to usually blame one player on a loss, but this loss is 100% on Hall. The Devils were playing okay and then Hall decided to play dumb.

Tenneyson should be left in Edmonton. This guy really blows. Anyone that thinks Mueller is not a better alternative should get their head checked. Mueller doesn't let opposing players walk in like that.

And Hynes is going to Hynes, why the f*** did he think putting him with Sevo was a plausible idea?

Reactions: JK3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad