Post-Game Talk: We are the ones...who gave up four straight goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't wait for the ripping that'll ensue when Cory does play, and people will be like but Blackwood had back to back shutouts of Vancouver at home the last two years, how can you not play him? I mean you got 68 games to go, you can't literally treat every game as if it's a total must-win at this point of the season. If you do Blackwood will be run into the ground by Christmas. Granted we might be totally out of the race with Hall on the block by Christmas anyway...
Blackwood will probably play against Vancouver.

He should still be the starter, so one good game by Cory (that's assuming he does play good tomorrow against Edmonton, which is probably a 66%-75% chance that he won't) shouldn't put Blackwood on this bench at this point, as Cory is a bottom 2 active goalie in the NHL over the last 3+ seasons now.

I'm just waiting for Cory to have a good game and then having to read ''Cory was great. He had a bad game against Tampa, but he likely was just having a hard time after the cramping on opening night, which obviously set him back after having a really good preseason, as well as a final 16 games last year and WC tournament''. As the rationalization (And excuses for him) with him is some of the worst I've seen for a player ever.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

He should still be the starter, so one good game by Cory (that's assuming he does play good tomorrow against Edmonton, which is probably a 66%-75% chance that he won't) shouldn't put Blackwood on this bench at this point, as Cory is a bottom 2 active goalie in the NHL over the last 3+ seasons now.

I'm just waiting for Cory to have a good game and then having to read ''Cory was great. He had a bad game against Tampa, but he likely was just having a hard time after the cramping on opening night, which obviously set him back after having a really good preseason, as well as a final 16 games last year and WC tournament''. As the rationalization (And excuses for him) with him is some of the worst I've seen for a player ever.

Never stop flogging us for this. I'm squealing in delight.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't it happen a few years ago when we didn't trust Cory or one of our backups or something and we had a goalie play every game including back to back games for months on end? Not saying that should be done here or anything, just wanted to know if I was remembering right.
It happened a couple times. It happened both in the first half of last year and second half of 17-18 with Kinkaid playing a lot of back to backs because Cory was unplayable. But Cory did play sometimes in the first half of last year, so you're probably thinking of 14-15. When Cory started the first 20+ games of the season because Scott Clemmensen was our backup and Kinkaid was being sent back and forth, but had never had an NHL start at that time.

I think it either broke or almost broke a record for most consecutive games started by a Devils goalie to open a season. And you know it was a lot if one of Marty's consecutive games to start a season streaks was either broken or almost broken.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who are these people you keep referring to that make excuses for Cory? The dude gets ripped all the ****ing time on here.
There's usually a very small (VERY small) but vocal contingent that's convinced he's coming back eventually, that the injuries just slowed him down and cherrypicking streaks.

I mean, it would be interesting to see what people would say about say Travis Zajac if he had the skater/forward equivalent of poor play/injuries over the same time span. It would be like Zajac scoring only 40-50 points in the last 130 games. And Zajac gets lambasted (not by the same people who defend Schneider), despite usually scoring 40 points a year at his salary and he gets paid even less.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
We need Schneider to play good enough to give us a CHANCE to win. That's not asking him to steal a game for us but he needs to get a win because he hasn't won a game yet this season. Let's see how the tea, responds after tonight , if it's a repeat of the game from tonight which I doubt it will be then no goaltending will save us.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Seems like going to bed after the first was the right choice. Unsurprising loss. Season inches closer to being lost.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I stopped watching after it was 2-2, seems I made the right decision to get some sleep. Day light savings f'd me this week.

Reactions: glenwo2

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Better game from Gusev, which I thought the eye test supported, but he still needs to be better. While I thought the Zajac line did a good job in limiting quality chances, they generated almost nothing all game.

yqYdtql.png

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Right...I somehow mixed up the games and thought we were playing Vancouver tonight.

Reactions: Bleedred

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
Picture perfect example of getting outcoached last night. Was it all on Hynes? absolutley not. there were many bad individual performances, there was some bad puck luck as far as bouncing pucks and Calgary got the momentum swing off their PP. But what you saw was Calgary adjusted to our breakout in the second period and completley destroyed Hynes system and poor fundamentals.
They know that we always break out on one side of the ice, and always try to go up the wall if there is ANY pressure. So they just chipped pucks in if there was no rush play, overloaded the side of the ice the breakout was trying to operate on and simply took the puck away time and time again. and we just ran around, chasing them around the rink in circles until they got behind our soft D, or hit the open guys for high danger looks.

Then no adjustments by the staff. we changed nothing on our side after getting caved in horribly. At times, they were sending 4 (4!) guys to the puck side in our zone. that means at least 2 devils should be WIDE open for outlets. yet no one was in position in the middle to be open so we just lost possesion over and again

And fundamentally, we play so non-physical in our zone it just leads to easy cycles and huge chunks of d zone time. Zero physical body position. Zero Bodying guys off pucks along the walls or in the crease. You cant defend from a chase angle trying to stick check the puck away in this league. you HAVE to take guys out and kill the play.

When teams play loose in the NZ and play run and gun you see we can have success. But one they realize all they have to do is play high-low and take away the wall breakout we are completely lost. Edmonton did exactly that to us last year, lets see if we can make adjustments, or if they play it right.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Who are these people you keep referring to that make excuses for Cory? The dude gets ripped all the ****ing time on here.

I am still cautiously optimistic that Cory picks up his play. Never back to a 92 or anything, but he’s definitely better than the current 84 which was in large part caused by defensive gaps and gaffes (seriously, if there was a video of all the goals he let in, you couldn’t help but laugh at the terrible defending)

for that matter, we saw as much last night - I counted 3 open one timers 10 feet from goal that the Flames connected on. Believe 2 went wide somehow and 1 went in. One of them (or maybe two) was 5v5. Good teams are not doing that so frequently unless their system is run n gun

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hahaaha! Are you serious with that? That's delusional.

Last year only 9 teams hit 100 points. They'd have to flip a switch INSTANTLY & become a top-10 team starting tomorrow night.

This team's "ability", even with a decent coach, is not 100 points.

THIS SEASON IS OVER. This is a deceased parrot!

Accept reality and begin your Kubler-Ross journey.

When you looked at the season sitting up on its perch did you determine that the only reason was because it had been nailed there?

Are you pinin’ for the fjords?

Reactions: BenedictGomez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad