Post-Game Talk: We are the ones who blow leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
It would be more of a retool than rebuild. We have the foundational forward pieces and a deep prospect pool. Need to sign or trade for a competent goalie who can give league average goaltending, sign or trade for two competent dmen, and eventually hire a new coach.

A rebuild is trading away everything and drafting and developing young players. We are past that.

Are we though? For me prospects are just that until they actually prove their worth in the nhl. It sounds good but again for me until I see it I don't or can't count on them. But that's just me.

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
this may not be a popular take, and we all love him....but Nico has to be better than what he has shown this year so far.

Not that he is the reason we are where we are at all, just making an observation.

The team as a whole is a total dumpster fire. Everyone needs blame from management to players. It's sad that last season at this point was better and we as fans had some hope. This season is shot already by
mid October. Completely unacceptable.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I consider Hughes, Hischier and Zacha foundational players. I think that is an awesome trio of centers... problem is there is literally nothing else tangible.

There are no defensemen, wingers or goaltenders that look like they can emerge as core players. Sure there are some "maybe's" but there always are. This organization still needs so much more it's frightening.... it's frightening that we've won the lottery twice and have been at this rebuild for 5 years and progress is nowhere to be found.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
this may not be a popular take, and we all love him....but Nico has to be better than what he has shown this year so far.

Not that he is the reason we are where we are at all, just making an observation.
I know it was only preseason and all, but Nico looks so much stronger and faster during those games. I wonder if he is nursing something other than the rib injury?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think what it really boils down to is that this team just finds ways to lose games. Whether it’s poor defense, shoddy goaltending, etc., bottom line is that they’re consistent losers for one reason or another. This has also been the case over the majority of last 4 seasons as well. Losing is what they do better than anything else.

I actually thought the team looked good. Probably their best game of the season to be honest. They just broke down real bad in the defensive zone as usual and almost all of the breakdowns led to goals. Blackwood wasn't good either.

I'm convinced this would be a decent team if they had a decent coach. They carried play on talent alone. There is still no system. They were more decisive, which is good. Right or wrong, they were commiting to the play.

Ya, team looked great, but breakdowns for sure. Losing the goal tending battle as well.

Could write it off as one of those games except, as noted, they just keep finding ways to lose.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think Hynes go to rationalization for losing is that the team isn’t playing hard enough or raising their compete levels enough (since it can’t possibly be his system/tactics). Hence his love of the guys who try really really hard every shift even if it doesn’t really amount to much. It’s the Stephen Gionta affect.

I really hope Blackwood just wasn’t fully recovered from the flu and that affected his performance and not that he is just kink 2.0.

I have a bad feeling that Hall, though still a bona fide 1st liner, is not the same player that won mvp a few seasons ago.

Of all the players who deserve to be benched, Bratt isn’t really one of them. Wood has seriously regressed. Gusev is really dragging his line mates down and should probably sit a game or two.
Simmonds generates a ton of chances but isn’t scoring nearly enough to justify the minutes he’s getting.
I agree with everything you said except for Simmonds.
He is getting chances and generating chances as well, is hard on the puck and not a liability on defence. Who would take his icetime ? Zacha deserves more but not at the expense of Simmonds. Simmonds is snakebitten right now but the goals will come. He’s getting shots , hitting , and doing everything that is asked of him but has been unlucky so far. He is not one of the forwards that has not lived up to expectations . If anyone , it’s Hall Nico Subban (some games ) and Palms . Those 4 are supposed to be our best olayers and have done nothing really .
Toss in average inconsistent goaltending and this is what you get

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I consider Hughes, Hischier and Zacha foundational players. I think that is an awesome trio of centers... problem is there is literally nothing else tangible.

There are no defensemen, wingers or goaltenders that look like they can emerge as core players. Sure there are some "maybe's" but there always are. This organization still needs so much more it's frightening.... it's frightening that we've won the lottery twice and have been at this rebuild for 5 years and progress is nowhere to be found.
Hall Palms and Subban are not core players? Coleman?

There is certainly a lot of talent here.

There are gaps of talent for sure. Goal tending is a serious concern at the moment. And the style of play seems to be prone to allowing goals.

But we should not act like this team has 3 guys and nothing else.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hall Palms and Subban are not core players? Coleman?

There is certainly a lot of talent here.

There are gaps of talent for sure. Goal tending is a serious concern at the moment. And the style of play seems to be prone to allowing goals.

But we should not act like this team has 3 guys and nothing else.
You see those players as being a part of a Devil team that can actually compete for something larger than an 8th playoff spot? Coleman aside I wouldn't be surprised if all of those players are gone in 3 years and I don't see this Devil team advancing to anything more than a bubble team in that time...

So I really don't see those guys as a part of a winning core, mainly because I think we are further away than those guys have effective years

Reactions: mdj12784

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
They should play the chorus for every bad goal against lmao

It's not right when we have a lead
It's not right when we don't
I'm not afraid of us runnin' away with this game honey
I get the feeling we won't
There is no sense in pretending
You like to give the puck away
Something inside you is feeling like I do
We said all there is to say
Baby, breakdown, go ahead and blow the lead
Breakdown, honey, we do it every night (baby, baby, breakdown)
Breakdown, now I'm turning it over, can't you see?
Breakdown, it's not right
It's not right
It's not right
Breakdown, go ahead and blow the lead
It's not right
It's not right

Reactions: Bleedred

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

The lack of Hall in that list can only be explained by viewing him as likely leaving, I guess?

At the start of this rebuild our leading scorer was a 2nd liner (Henrique) who led the team with 44 points and 4 of our top 6 scorers were 32 or older. And on the farm our top prospects were along the lines of Santini Quenneville and Matteau (3 non NHLers) . There was essentially nothing of substantial value in the organization.

So, while the lack of progress on D is note worthy (goalies are the biggest crap shoot as prospects so I don't consider that a legit critique), to say there's no progress to be found is laughable.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The lack of Hall in that list can only be explained by viewing him as likely leaving, I guess?

At the start of this rebuild our leading scorer was a 2nd liner (Henrique) who led the team with 44 points and 4 of our top 6 scorers were 32 or older. And on the farm our top prospects were along the lines of Santini Quenneville and Matteau (3 non NHLers) . There was essentially nothing of substantial value in the organization.

So, while the lack of progress on D is note worthy (goalies are the biggest crap shoot as prospects so I don't consider that a legit critique), to say there's no progress to be found is laughable.
There is an aweful lot of revisionism here.

Our Defense had a young Larsson, Merrill and Severson. Santini was on deck.

Wood was also tracking with Santini and Coleman was just leaving Miami. Boucher looked solid at every level and as strong a prospect if not moreso than anything we have in Binghamton now. Something similar can could be said about Quenneville....in those instances you have the benefit of history to see what the present is with the guys now it's still all promise and hope....but nobody now is doing what Coleman, Boucher and Quenneville did in the AHL yet somehow you and many others believe the system is in better shape with literally no tangible results to point to.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The one bright spot of this season for me is Pavel Zacha. The progress has been spectacular...I jokingly said to my wife last night that Zacha's progress probably stems from missing Hynes training camp. :)

I don’t want to kill Zacha for that turnover on the the third goal, however, he has to battle harder or at least try and clear the puck out of his zone. To much fancy stick handling, plus those turnovers in are zone have been a big reason for their record. In saying that, Blackwood should have made that save that went underneath his glove. 4 goals on 16 shots is not good enough for the NHL.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
There is an aweful lot of revisionism here.

Our Defense had a young Larsson, Merrill and Severson. Santini was on deck.

Wood was also tracking with Santini and Coleman was just leaving Miami. Boucher looked solid at every level and as strong a prospect if not moreso than anything we have in Binghamton now. Something similar can could be said about Quenneville....in those instances you have the benefit of history to see what the present is with the guys now it's still all promise and hope....but nobody now is doing what Coleman, Boucher and Quenneville did in the AHL yet somehow you and many others believe the system is in better shape with literally no tangible results to point to.

There's not a shred of revisionism. I didn't post any of our prospects that haven't made the show to say our prospects now are better than then, just that our farm system was bottom of the barrel league wide at the start of the rebuild.

You can't in one post list 3 players that have been acquired since the start of the rebuild as the only core players on the team...

And then in the next post go through a list of like "promising/solid" prospects in the organization at the time, when they're largely a mix of AHLers and players still on the team that you didnt even list as current core players lol.

The only 4 players from that list that can even be mentioned as our "foundation" to start the rebuild are Larsson, Severson, Coleman, and Wood. Two roughly second pairing dman, one of which we traded for a Hart trophy winner, a solid like 2nd-3rd line tweener, and a 4th liner. That's it. And we're somehow not in a better position now than 5 years ago? Is the criticism that we haven't been able to pull 3 rabbits out of a hat every draft? Or didn't trade Severson for the pick that turned into Werenski or some shit?

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We have a #12 overall centerman in the AHL with 8 AHL goals in 69 games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They should play the chorus for every bad goal against lmao

It's not right when we have a lead
It's not right when we don't
I'm not afraid of us runnin' away with this game honey
I get the feeling we won't
There is no sense in pretending
You like to give the puck away
Something inside you is feeling like I do
We said all there is to say
Baby, breakdown, go ahead and blow the lead
It's not right
It's not right
Breakdown, go ahead and blow the lead
It's not right
It's not right

:laugh:

Reactions: JK3

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
1 in every 4 power plays against us ends up as a goal against

Less than 1 out of every 10 power plays for us ends up in a goal for.

This team has a .870 save %.

This has been miserable to watch.

The teams bigger weakness is goaltending.. by a mile.. it hasn't been brought to the forefront too much because they played a couple miserable games early... but its the goaltending....guys this team is not a playoff team until they get a legit #1 goalie. Blackwood has showed some promise.. but isn't consistent enough...everyone is over analyzing everything else...its the goalies.. and if you start to try and analyze more...remember its the goalies... I'm not saying we are a top 5 team in league... but with NHL average to good goaltending we are a playoff team.. like when KK gave us that two seasons ago....we need to trade for a goalie

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I don’t want to kill Zacha for that turnover on the the third goal, however, he has to battle harder or at least try and clear the puck out of his zone. To much fancy stick handling, plus those turnovers in are zone have been a big reason for their record. In saying that, Blackwood should have made that save that went underneath his glove. 4 goals on 16 shots is not good enough for the NHL.

he wasn't really playing with it.. he got caught off balance and they were on him quick....MB needs to make 1 or 2 saves in this game and its a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad