Post-Game Talk: We are the ones who blow leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Was unable to watch or attend this game....

Should I even ask? I just saw highlights.

Did they get boo'ed off ice? Was it actually a winnable game? What the hell happened again?

Good for Hughes/Zacha/Vats points wise, but what went wrong..................................................

I think what it really boils down to is that this team just finds ways to lose games. Whether it’s poor defense, shoddy goaltending, etc., bottom line is that they’re consistent losers for one reason or another. This has also been the case over the majority of last 4 seasons as well. Losing is what they do better than anything else.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Did they get boo'ed off ice? Was it actually a winnable game? What the hell happened again?

Good for Hughes/Zacha/Vats points wise, but what went wrong..................................................

I actually thought the team looked good. Probably their best game of the season to be honest. They just broke down real bad in the defensive zone as usual and almost all of the breakdowns led to goals. Blackwood wasn't good either.

I'm convinced this would be a decent team if they had a decent coach. They carried play on talent alone. There is still no system. They were more decisive, which is good. Right or wrong, they were commiting to the play.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Had to leave in the third, my headache was killing me. Not surprised at all at the result to be honest. So sad

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

One of the reasons I logged on this AM was to see if you had posted your view from the game - they are informative. I was hoping you could explain to us what happened.:thumbu:

Reactions: Whaddagoal

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm convinced this would be a decent team if they had a decent coach. They carried play on talent alone. There is still no system.

There has never been a defensive system.

And stop trying to cram round pegs into square holes. Stop trying to force guys like Greene & Mueller to play offensive defenseman roles, and dont give guys like Severson, Vatanan, & Subban the green light to charge forward all game long. I imagine it's fun being a defenseman on a Hynes' team, though I doubt the non-stop losing is much fun.

Reactions: glenwo2

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
The defensive gaffes and breakdowns are egregious. My additional observations (not breaking new ground here, I know).

1) What does the coaching staff see in Hayden? I thought he was awful last night. But hey- Hynes needs that gritty fourth line, right? I have to admit though...Rooney drew a penalty and played well.

1A) How is the aforementioned and Miles Wood playing over either Jesper (especially Bratt)?!

2) Blackwood was awful last night. Is it too much to ask for a big save to bail out a teammate?!

3) Subban was also horrific. He really looks like he’s laboring when he’s skating. Unfortunately, he’s the kind of player who has these types of games sometimes...and then games where he is dominant.

4) Is it just me or does Taylor Hall look a step slower? He doesn’t appear that same dynamic player he was two years ago. I’m not trying to be overly critical as I know he’s coming off a season ending knee injury. Perhaps he needs more time to get back to where he was...but it’s concerning to me.

5) Hughes was an absolute stud last night. The vision, edge work, that snipe...just spectacular. Wasted 3 point effort...what a shame.

6) I know the majority of this board wanted Gusev (myself included) but he is weighing down his line mates. Such a defensive liability right now. With guys like both Jespers sitting, it makes me wonder (granted, hindsight is 20/20) if that Gusev trade was necessary. It’s coming at the expense of valuable playing time for Boqvist to learn and develop. Of course we can say that Gusev is doing just that but I’d hope a guy getting 4.5m per year would already “get it.” That is the difference...this team has a lot of pieces but many of them don’t seem to fit.

7) I thought Zacha was again largely fantastic last night. I do not believe that goal he was on the ice for was his fault...??

8) Vatanen was terrific...all-around. Best game I’ve seen him play on both ends of the ice in a long time.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
The defensive gaffes and breakdowns are egregious. My additional observations (not breaking new ground here, I know).

1) What does the coaching staff see in Hayden? I thought he was awful last night. But hey- Hynes needs that gritty fourth line, right? I have to admit though...Rooney drew a penalty and played well.

1A) How is the aforementioned and Miles Wood playing over either Jesper (especially Bratt)?!

2) Blackwood was awful last night. Is it too much to ask for a big save to bail out a teammate?!

3) Subban was also horrific. He really looks like he’s laboring when he’s skating. Unfortunately, he’s the kind of player who has these types of games sometimes...and then games where he is dominant.

4) Is it just me or does Taylor Hall look a step slower? He doesn’t appear that same dynamic player he was two years ago. I’m not trying to be overly critical as I know he’s coming off a season ending knee injury. Perhaps he needs more time to get back to where he was...but it’s concerning to me.

5) Hughes was an absolute stud last night. The vision, edge work, that snipe...just spectacular. Wasted 3 point effort...what a shame.

6) I know the majority of this board wanted Gusev (myself included) but he is weighing down his line mates. Such a defensive liability right now. With guys like both Jespers sitting, it makes me wonder (granted, hindsight is 20/20) if that Gusev trade was necessary. It’s coming at the expense of valuable playing time for Boqvist to learn and develop. Of course we can say that Gusev is doing just that but I’d hope a guy getting 4.5m per year would already “get it.” That is the difference...this team has a lot of pieces but many of them don’t seem to fit.

7) I thought Zacha was again largely fantastic last night. I do not believe that goal he was on the ice for was his fault...??

8) Vatanen was terrific...all-around. Best game I’ve seen him play on both ends of the ice in a long time.
I think Hynes go to rationalization for losing is that the team isn’t playing hard enough or raising their compete levels enough (since it can’t possibly be his system/tactics). Hence his love of the guys who try really really hard every shift even if it doesn’t really amount to much. It’s the Stephen Gionta affect.

I really hope Blackwood just wasn’t fully recovered from the flu and that affected his performance and not that he is just kink 2.0.

I have a bad feeling that Hall, though still a bona fide 1st liner, is not the same player that won mvp a few seasons ago.

Of all the players who deserve to be benched, Bratt isn’t really one of them. Wood has seriously regressed. Gusev is really dragging his line mates down and should probably sit a game or two.
Simmonds generates a ton of chances but isn’t scoring nearly enough to justify the minutes he’s getting.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013

I agree with all your points 1000%. When is something going to be done? Why does this discussion have to continue for weeks on end? The tease of this offseason and all the bullsh*t we were fed. Enough is enough.

Reactions: longislanddevil

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Blowing leads big and small has become a hallmark of this team for years now. So has giving up goals in the last minute of the period. I’d really love to see a breakdown of how many goals this team has surrendered in the last minute of a period versus how many they have scored in the closing minute

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think what it really boils down to is that this team just finds ways to lose games. Whether it’s poor defense, shoddy goaltending, etc., bottom line is that they’re consistent losers for one reason or another. This has also been the case over the majority of last 4 seasons as well. Losing is what they do better than anything else.

I actually thought the team looked good. Probably their best game of the season to be honest. They just broke down real bad in the defensive zone as usual and almost all of the breakdowns led to goals. Blackwood wasn't good either.

I'm convinced this would be a decent team if they had a decent coach. They carried play on talent alone. There is still no system. They were more decisive, which is good. Right or wrong, they were commiting to the play.

Thanks both, for your update. I don't think Hynes will last if they don't get to three wins before the end of this month. Frustrating to hear they again actually blew another home loss in front of the home crowd. It's a real shame for everyone but having to endure that at home is really bad for the team. This team has to be better than this...

The season is teetering on disaster ... again.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
1 in every 4 power plays against us ends up as a goal against

Less than 1 out of every 10 power plays for us ends up in a goal for.

This team has a .870 save %.

This has been miserable to watch.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Woo hoo 10 year rebuild...sign me up. Sadly this is where it's headed.
It would be more of a retool than rebuild. We have the foundational forward pieces and a deep prospect pool. Need to sign or trade for a competent goalie who can give league average goaltending, sign or trade for two competent dmen, and eventually hire a new coach.

A rebuild is trading away everything and drafting and developing young players. We are past that.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
It looked like we're rolling the fourth line every other shift out there. All the goals allowed are terrible giveaways/inability to clean the zone, too. Subban has been brutal. Hischier still can't create offensive on his own. Zacha looked good but that OEL goal was brutal to give away.

I won't say much bad about the 4th liner, they did their job alright, even draw a penalty. Hynes is stupid and is overplaying them, though.

PP for the surprise of no one looking much dangerous with Hughes instead of Zajac. Hughes has shown that he's got the skill/shot/hands/vision of a first overall and future top-line center.

Overall it wasn't a bad game... costly mistakes that have been fair to common + bad goaltending sunk the team.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The shitty part is we are not getting the luck either. Simmonds robbed by Rannta, then missed the open net, then Tennyson hits the post, all in the 3rd.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There has never been a defensive system.

And stop trying to cram round pegs into square holes. Stop trying to force guys like Greene & Mueller to play offensive defenseman roles, and dont give guys like Severson, Vatanan, & Subban the green light to charge forward all game long. I imagine it's fun being a defenseman on a Hynes' team, though I doubt the non-stop losing is much fun.

He does it with the forwards too. Wants them all to be Miles Wood. Gusev will never be Miles Wood. Bratt will never be Miles Wood. And that's a good thing. But not to Hynes.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad