Post-Game Talk: We are the ones who blew two more leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Literally the quickest my hopes were destroyed in any season I can remember. I’m already thinking about the returns we can get at the deadline, the draft, and free agency. A complete and total failure of a season in a year when we needed to be good to hold on to our best player. So depressing.

Reactions: MauDevils

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
My biggest fear is when will this get any better? If we gut this team of veterans by trading Hall, Vatanen, Simmonds, etc then we are back at stage one of a rebuild. No chance we make the playoffs next year or even the following year. This will take years to recover from.

Reactions: NJDevs26 and Aethon

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
It's wrong that i am so jaded already....

This team losing like it did in every home game minus nyr and van....

I don't even have the energy to post my frustrations about this.

Can we please ship Hynes out and ship out Hall sooner so we can get the 800 lb problem out of the room. Die-hard fans shouldn't have to sit through this kind of season.

It’s perfectly normal to be jaded. How can you not be? It’s like Groundhog Day with this team. When the same problems and losing persists, you just kind of get numb to it after a while. And by a while, I mean years.

It’s these first few weeks that are somewhat rough. You start the season hoping to at least have something to play for come February / March. When you realize that the season is basically shot by the start of November, its whatever. This is the Devils fan experience now. I’m just most looking forward to certain personnel not being associated with this franchise any more and the sooner the better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They've blown leads (sometimes more than one) in six out of eight home games, including four multi-goal leads, many of them in the third period. That's hard to do, 'new NHL' or not :P And then the three road games they've played they've been straight trash in all of them and are likely to get trashed in the majority of the five coming up.

How can you not be jaded at this point?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
My biggest fear is when will this get any better? If we gut this team of veterans by trading Hall, Vatanen, Simmonds, etc then we are back at stage one of a rebuild. No chance we make the playoffs next year or even the following year. This will take years to recover from.
Get a top 2 pick, sign Muzzin, sign Gudas

Lafreniere/Byfield-Hughes-Palmieri
Bratt-Nico-Zacha
Boqvist-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

Muzzin-Subban
Butcher-Severson
Smith-Gudas

But none of this matters if we don’t have a goalie.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It’s perfectly normal to be jaded. How can you not be? It’s like Groundhog Day with this team. When the same problems and losing persists, you just kind of get numb to it after a while. And by a while, I mean years.

It’s these first few weeks that are somewhat rough. You start the season hoping to at least have something to play for come February / March. When you realize that the season is basically shot by the start of November, its whatever. This is the Devils fan experience now. I’m just most looking forward to certain personnel not being associated with this franchise any more and the sooner the better.

This is definitely Groundhog Day...

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
They've blown leads (sometimes more than one) in six out of eight home games, including four multi-goal leads, many of them in the third period. That's hard to do, 'new NHL' or not :P And then the three road games they've played they've been straight trash in all of them and are likely to get trashed in the majority of the five coming up.

How can you not be jaded at this point?

Also the shock of expectations mismatch for this season in reality vs. build up..

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
ah i see. you’re looking for us to go from one of the worst devils teams of all time to stanley cup champions overnight? good luck with that. doing some good things = baby steps.

if this team can turn it around, it’ll be after stringing together a few efforts like we saw last night. average goaltending, multi point game from our best player, sharp powerplay, etc. if those elements were there since game 1, our record would look a hell of a lot better.

the other option, which you seem to have fully embraced, is “waaaaahhh we only got one point instead of two waaaaahhhh we’re terrible waaaahhhh nothing matters waaaahhhhhh wowza waaaahhhh”. good luck with that! :thumbu:
We are past the point of being hopeful. We should be angry because this franchise is a shell of its former self.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And the team's best player turning heel WWE-style in the span of two seasons (really two days) doesn't help either.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Don't get rid of Vatanen. Simmonds is on a 1 year doesnt matter. Trade Hall for some real players.

Also, it seems Greene doesn't have control of his own team as captain either. Someone should have told Hall to back down and know his place with these fans their franchise.

Stevens would probably break a brick wall if this was going on in his lockerroom.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Also the shock of expectations mismatch for this season in reality vs. build up..

That's what makes the 2010 comparisons scary...they had inflated expectations coming into that year too after signing everyone under the sun. Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Tallinder. Just like this offseason was the Subban, Gusev, Hughes, Simmonds one. Ironically the latter two have been among our best players, but they haven't been around long enough to get immersed in the vortex of suck yet.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This. But truth be told I don't think it is going to be any different even if we stay the course. The existing rebuild isn't going well...which is hard to fathom with two #1OA's.

Nico isn't a game changer, he'll be a good two way forward but Still hasn't taken the next step we need. Hughes is too soon to tell but from the small sample he should be a significant contributor by next season....I think.

The bad... McLeod was a distaster of a pick and really was a major setback in our rebuild...we took an #11 overall turned it into a 12 and 4 years later we haven't even gotten a significant contribution at the AHL level let alone the NHL. That miss of a high pick early in the rebuild hurts. A 2016 high pick should be a regular contributor to the team right now.
Then the Ty Smith setback...Ty is still young and it's not fair to even half expect a 19 year old D man to step into a top 4 role and really, a 19 year old D man not being ready isn't a setback at all...but when Nico hasn't taken a next step, McLeod is not contributing, Hughes is just a puppy chasing a ball AND there are no viable defenders or goaltenders in the systems after a 5 year rebuild the Ty Smith setback hurts a little more than it should...even if it is not his fault and probably just normal progression.

This organization is in shambles with no end in sight.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Literally the quickest my hopes were destroyed in any season I can remember. I’m already thinking about the returns we can get at the deadline, the draft, and free agency. A complete and total failure of a season in a year when we needed to be good to hold on to our best player. So depressing.

It’s a blessing in disguise.

I want no part of that joke of a player called Taylor Hall. What he said and his reaction to the shit goal he scored yesterday was enough for me to know that giving him an 8 year deal worth north of 80M$ would be straight up suicide for this franchise.

We should move him yesterday to the highest bidder, regardless of the team. We do the same with the rest of our pending UFA’s outside of Vatanen and draft the BPA. This team is full of promising youngsters and we simply need someone who’ll guide them in the proper direction and that’s not Hynes.

Solidifying our blue line and our goaltending is a must. With that said, Shero has a lot of work to do and I hope he sees the mess that’s going on at the moment.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
That's what makes the 2010 comparisons scary...they had inflated expectations coming into that year too after signing everyone under the sun. Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Tallinder. Just like this offseason was the Subban, Gusev, Hughes, Simmonds one. Ironically the latter two have been among our best players, but they haven't been around long enough to get immersed in the vortex of suck yet.

Hope the comparisons end sooner than what happened to the other squad.

That's why Shero needs to do sonething, and do it now. The surgery needs to happen,cut loose from those not committed here and coaching failure.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hope the comparisons end sooner than what happened to the other squad.

That's why Shero needs to do sonething, and do it now. The surgery needs to happen,cut loose from those not committed here and coaching failure.

The only reason it might (and should) end sooner is this isn't Hynes' first season. I actually do understand Lou not wanting to pull the plug after 15-20 games of a first year. But we've had these problems for ages and ages with this staff, and with increased expectations this year the team isn't even any better than it was after one of the worst seasons in franchise history.

Of course we don't have a Lemaire coming out of the bullpen either. I don't know what Shero would do other than leave Fitz down there but his impact seems to have dissipated after two games.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The teams post for tonight’s game mentions we have points in 4 of our last 5 games.

That’s certainly one way to try and spin it. :laugh:

Yeah I don't mind that from the team, that's their job...but fans parroting the 'but we had improvement guys!' rationale makes me roll my eyes. Expectations really are underground if we're looking for moral victories after a home defeat against a mediocre rival where we were vastly outplayed and outcoached 5-on-5.

I know people are tired of the old days comparisons but when we fired Julien the team actually had won four of its last seven games before he got canned. I mean to go from those kind of expectations to handing out medals for trying is a bit disconcerting.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Get a top 2 pick, sign Muzzin, sign Gudas

Lafreniere/Byfield-Hughes-Palmieri
Bratt-Nico-Zacha
Boqvist-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

Muzzin-Subban
Butcher-Severson
Smith-Gudas

But none of this matters if we don’t have a goalie.

I like your attempt to get the defense bigger and harder to play against. Would like to keep Vats but there is no guarantee he stays anyways.

Gusev still could be a big part of this team.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad