GDT: We are playing the Blackhawks at hockey today

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I played goalie at a decent level in soccer growing up, and was frequently at soccer camps and whatnot with slightly older kids.

My major weakness? There was an age (~11-12) when I couldn't easily touch the crossbar when everyone else in those camps could. I just got chipped over and over and there was nothing I could do about it.

Your post brought up some things for me.

lol! I played soccer goalie through high school, too! I was 5’5 which isnt short for a girl but not tall, so I understand the feeling. Although at that height I could just hit the crossbar.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The more I think about it, it may depend on when they received this information. Rod seems to be a proponent of giving the goalies a plan and sticking to it. So if they planned for Ned to play Chicago tomorrow, and Chicago is now TB, maybe that isn't worth flipping goalies on short notice. Let them stay on their planned schedule.

You may be right on. Read this on the nhl.com article on the schedule change:

"Had we known that was the schedule we might have done something a little different," Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "But honestly, we're just preparing for tonight and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow."

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don't care who has the crease tonight. Whoever it is I don't want to hear Tripp say, There's one he wishes he had back.

As if there's ever one that they don't wish they had back

True, but Tripp only says that on the really soft goals. Kind of fits in with what seems like the current Canes organizational strategy: if our goalies can play at least average, we'll win with superior skaters.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
random note about ned, but i think he's a lot more comfortable this time than he has been before. he still has a very big issue in that he's not an aggressive challenger. he needs to be playing a lot more upright and it's twice as important because he's small. when things start to get really scrambled, his instinct is to drop into the butterfly and try to defend the top half of the net with the glove and with seemingly everyone able to pick corners these days, finding some space on a short goalie playing deep in his net making himself smaller by leaving his feet is just a recipe to get roasted. he has to trust his technique and not lose the net behind him and stay on his angle. he doesn't have to be arturs irbe two pad stacking at the attacking blueline, but he's going to have to match speed skating backwards and stay on his feet.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
random note about ned, but i think he's a lot more comfortable this time than he has been before. he still has a very big issue in that he's not an aggressive challenger. he needs to be playing a lot more upright and it's twice as important because he's small. when things start to get really scrambled, his instinct is to drop into the butterfly and try to defend the top half of the net with the glove and with seemingly everyone able to pick corners these days, finding some space on a short goalie playing deep in his net making himself smaller by leaving his feet is just a recipe to get roasted. he has to trust his technique and not lose the net behind him and stay on his angle. he doesn't have to be arturs irbe two pad stacking at the attacking blueline, but he's going to have to match speed skating backwards and stay on his feet.

Ah, but he should be. That'd be fun.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Beautifully said. I always think he looks small in net. Obviously, he is, but he needs to challenge the heck out of shooters and play up his agility. Mrazek is 6'1" and Ned is 6'0" according to hockeydb (obviously take with a grain of salt). But Mrazek might as well be 6" taller from how he plays the position. Mrazek plays I think appropriately aggressively. Occasionally this leads to an oopsie, yes, but it means he is burned less frequently.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I can’t be confident in here after last game’s result and I can’t actively cheer for the Canes over my Hawks sooooo

5-1 Hawks

Am I doing it right this time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad