GDT: We are not playing the Blackhawks at hockey today. We are playing the Lightning.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok so to me the story of the season is pretty simple.

How many of us going into the season were saying “if just one of Nino or Trocheck figures it out, we will have the firepower necessary to be a pretty good team this year”?

Both have 9 goals in 16 games to co-lead the team.

With apologies to Jordan Staal, the second line is the story of the year.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I won’t be the least bit surprised if Dougie still isn’t signed at that point in time and the Canes protect Slavin, Pesce and Bean. A long way to go before that though.
Don't want to get hyperbolic—but I wasn't really surprised by Bean's assists to Trocheck and Paquette. Bean doesn't have Dougie's shot (only 3-4 D-men in the league do), but he could be a better passer. In the AHL, he made those plays every night.

If his defensive game continues to improve, his ceiling is something like Nick Leddy (22 minutes/night; 40-45 points/season).

Dougie's pace right now is 51 points over 82 games, which is consistent with his career average outside last season (even the last 20 games last season he had 12 points). If $8M is the UFA price, the organization could decide using that money on Svech and Necas soon and Pesce/Aho/Teravainen/Slavin in a few years extends the window.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Don't want to get hyperbolic—but I wasn't really surprised by Bean's assists to Trocheck and Paquette. Bean doesn't have Dougie's shot (only 3-4 D-men in the league do), but he could be a better passer. In the AHL, he made those plays every night.

If his defensive game continues to improve, his ceiling is something like Nick Leddy (22 minutes/night; 40-45 points/season).

Dougie's pace right now is 51 points over 82 games, which is consistent with his career average outside last season (even the last 20 games last season he had 12 points). If $8M is the UFA price, the organization could decide using that money on Svech and Necas soon and Pesce/Aho/Teravainen/Slavin in a few years extends the window.

good points.

FWIW: his D has been solid since getting in the lineup.

OBXer

It's always good to have a goal
Feb 4, 2021
Manteo, NC
Sometime during most games this season I wonder just how good is this team. Years of watching the Canes always makes you wonder when the other shoe will drop. When will we not skate up to expectations. Of course the Brindy version(s) of the Hurricanes is not the same as we became accustomed to since the 06 triumph. I'm trying to put those doubts of past teams behind and just enjoy the journey.

Last night wasn't perfect but it was close. Bean does look like he is finding his game. Our scoring is coming from unlikely players as well as those we expect to score. When Ned wasn't playing pick up (the) goalie stick he looked reasonable comfortable. How can you criticize a goalie that just tossed a goose egg.

How good are we? Good enough to be number 1 in the central; for now.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Oh, shit, I guess you're right! He really does suck!

I'm not saying that he's gonna be a great NHL goaltender. He was certainly great tonight, but in the long term, I have no idea.

What I *am* saying is that he *was* a great AHL goaltender, and I think it's bullshit that you won't admit it.

I think he's afraid he's the Zac Dalpe of goalers.

Stockholm syndrome will break a brother down.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
There was a lot of solid play tonight from top to bottom. Everything was clicking for the most part. Slavin is such an important piece to the formula on D, and he looked markedly better tonight. The 4th line was playing physical, making plays and making it tough on TB. When your 4th line shows up like Mel Gibson in Braveheart you're in for a good night.

Also, Ned played very well. Congrats to him for that shutout. Brought a tear to my eye what he said about his parents in the post game. Way to go kid.

That poor Volkov kid bore the brunt of the crazy 8s wrath.

Yeah I just pulled that out of my butt.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Now that we dont have to spend days complaining about our team in between games, we have a lot of free time to devote to more important issues here...

Who's hotter? The marley drugs girl or Haydn Fleury's mom?

They're both hot but my vote is for Hayden's mom.

1 Naming your son that you probably are a little edgy and cool
2 She's probably dependable being married that long is hard
3 I bet she has a good sense of humor or is a good conversation
4 I put way too much thought into this but in my defense I was working until 5 am

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Ok so to me the story of the season is pretty simple.

How many of us going into the season were saying “if just one of Nino or Trocheck figures it out, we will have the firepower necessary to be a pretty good team this year”?

Both have 9 goals in 16 games to co-lead the team.

With apologies to Jordan Staal, the second line is the story of the year.

Its pretty insane how everyone who needed to have a bounce back season is so far. Lot of guys really exceeding expectations.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Does success and winning make some of you uneasy? It looked like it unsettled RBA in his presser.

I kinda like the view from here. Looks like a fun ride ahead.
The only thing I think RBA was unsettled about is that everyone seems surprised that we are this good when he has consistently said he saw this potential in this group since the start, and he's resisting the urge to go full on I Told You So in every presser.

The Bean situation right now is interesting. If he keeps playing like this, he's going to force our hand and we are going to have to protect him in the expansion draft. And if this keeps up, I personally think it's going to require a tough decision on our part between Dougie and Gardiner long term, hinging on our ability to resign Dougie. That is, either get something done before the deadline or get what we can in a trade and have Bean take his role going forward.

I know that's a lot to put on a brand new kid, but this kid is making plays that you don't often see from the blue line. And he has nothing in his resume to make me think he isn't legit.

Reactions: Daeavorn and Tryamw

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Does success and winning make some of you uneasy? It looked like it unsettled RBA in his presser.

This doesn’t make me uneasy.....

Its pretty insane how everyone who needed to have a bounce back season is so far. Lot of guys really exceeding expectations.

....but this does. Not sure it is sustainable over a full season.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Who are the guys exceeding expectations?

Nino, Trochek, Jordo

Of those, the only one who really is playing above his head is Jordo. The other 2 had some absolutely miserable puck luck that make them look a lot worse than the advanced stats say they were. Nino and Trochek were expected to see their scoring ability regress to the mean, improving their numbers. Seeing it happen this year shouldn't be a surprise.

Jordo is a whole other story. Covid gave him superpowers.

I'd actually say the thing that stands out to me right now is that we still have a bunch of guys who arguably need to step it up a little bit. Aho, Svech, Turbo, Dougie, Slavin, Pesce... I'm not sure any of them are really playing at the level they expect of themselves this year. Given what you'd expect of them, I think we still have one or two more gears to attain before we reach out final form with this roster.

Also, Mrazek is still only 1 game back of the league lead in shutouts this year, and he has only played like 4 games. It certainly looked like he was taking that next step as a starter before he got hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad