We are in phase 2 of the rebuild, next year we need to contend for the playoffs

Are Pierre's thoughts on the rebuild accurate?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Even if "contending" means pushing for a wildcard spot this coming season, it's still a complete pie-in-the-sky fantasy. As it stands we're closer to a lottery pick than "contending." Is this just more of PD selling hype to customers?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What he said was contending next year, being a playoff team the year after and being a playoff contending team the year after that.

I suppose we can all debate what contending next year means...but thats what he said
Makes sense.

Being last again is not an option but being eliminated from the playoffs mid or late March would seem to be what the plan is.

Whether it happens is highly unlikely. I would prefer a lottery team next year

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Makes sense.

Being last again is not an option but being eliminated from the playoffs mid or late March would seem to be what the plan is.

Whether it happens is highly unlikely. I would prefer a lottery team next year
That is so backwards it's not even funny. Team is run by complete morons.

"It's fine to finish last this year without our 1st, but we need to finish 12th next year with our 1st because we can't finish last again. We are only allowed to once"

This isn't a rebuild, t's a plan to be a shitty bubble team again

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Personally I think the team is so far gone talent wise at this point + the reluctance of players good enough to have options to sign here = we'll probably bottom out for the next few years regardless what happens and what Pierre does. We may have one of the better prospect pools in the league, but the difference is the other teams actually have talent on their roster to add their prospects to. We have: Chabot, Tkachuk, White...and is there honestly anyone else on this roster you'd expect would be on the team next time we're in the playoffs? Wolanin I guess.

There's the infrastructure in place to "rush" the rebuild and become a perrenial bubble team again, imo. The forwards are already good enough to not completely bottom out, and I think the defence will start to take (giant) leaps forward in the next two years.

Basically boils down to coaching and goaltending. A good coach and a good goalie can hide a lot of deficiencies. Unfortunately (fortunately in the context of a rebuild) we have neither one of those pieces right now, imo. Andy/Condon are toast and the three (four?) goalie prospects are still a few years away while we haven't been able to bring in a top coach to this franchise since Bryan Murray. I look at what a guy like Julien did with the Habs this year and think a good coach could have similar results with this team.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think we could be a bubble team next year, but I don't think we will be (given the organization will cheap out on coaching and goaltending) and I don't think we should (given there's a need for more elite talent in the system).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

"It's fine to finish last this year without our 1st, but we need to finish 12th next year with our 1st because we can't finish last again. We are only allowed to once"

I think the comments from EM about "hockey ops needing to get their act together" was a shot across the bow at Dorion essentially telling him he can't completely bottom-out for a 3rd year in a row.

But yes, it is the most backwards logic and very on brand for this franchise.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Contending, or even attempting to contend next year (that's what he said) is so moronic.

One of the biggest mistakes in Sens franchise history is keeping this management group.

They have no clue what they are doing. Why do they want to "contend" (be a bubble team...) when we actually have our 1st but are content being what they are now in a season without their 1st. It's bonkers, makes zero sense and has absolutely no realistic way of happening.

Management needs to go ASAP, until that happens the Sens are what they are, a steaming pile of dog turd
Don't underestimate Melnyk's need for playoff revenue.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

This isn't a rebuild, t's a plan to be a ****ty bubble team again

Have to walk before you can run. They don’t want to be last, even though they should be a lottery team next year.

And I don’t think they wanted to finish last this year. I don’t think they wanted the pick to be a lottery pick.

There is no easy way to rebuild. Hopefully they stink next year. I just don’t think he is going to say that. No one does at these things.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
We need to draft elite talent next year. We have seemingly a million decent prospects and picks, which could make us an extremely deep team a few years from now, but we absolutely need to draft at the top of the draft next year if we're actually gonna be a contender some day.

Exactly. Trying to contend next year will be a waste anyways when we have to deal with the other teams in our division that are loading up for their "5 years of unparalleled success" right now. Tampa, Toronto, Boston, it'll be years to catch them. Maybe Florida too if they can land Panarin and Bobrovski with Quenneville.

Reactions: Smeddy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Exactly. Trying to contend next year will be a waste anyways when we have to deal with the other teams in our division that are loading up for their "5 years of unparalleled success" right now. Tampa, Toronto, Boston, it'll be years to catch them. Maybe Florida too if they can land Panarin and Bobrovski with Quenneville.
He said they plan to maybe get a veteran. That’s it. So whether they contend or not, the players in the system will play. That should do it as the Belleville boys are not ready.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
They are VERY unlikely to make the playoffs next year, or even really come close. So why bother?

Is it so hard for Dorion to say:" As this season ends we want to re-iterate that we're very happy with the progress of our young players, both in Ottawa and Belleville. This year, while difficult in terms of wins and losses, was an integral part of our development as a rebuilding team. Hockey at the NHL level is a competitive business. As we look forward to next year we strive to be better. But make no mistake, there is still work to be done here. Rome was not built in a day. We will make every effort to win games but the true measure of our success in the coming year will be in the development curve of the outstanding young core players that we're lucky enough to have as Ottawa Senators. Being competitive is important but not at the cost of supporting and developing our young players and certainly not at the cost of providing them with opportunities to play important minutes in the NHL, as warranted. As such our primary offseason goal is to find a coaching staff that will be able to help these young players grow into a group that can one day compete for the Stanley Cup."

That took me 5 minutes. Sorry for any typos.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, on further reflection this is just PD trying to sell hope for next season. There's no way he truly believes this roster will actually push for a playoff spot. Add in some Belleville graduates and a veteran UFA or two, what have you got? Still a lottery team.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, on further reflection this is just PD trying to sell hope for next season. There's no way he truly believes this roster will actually push for a playoff spot. Add in some Belleville graduates and a veteran UFA or two, what have you got? Still a lottery team.
I expect a bottom 3-5 finish, but it all depends on coaching and goaltending. Look at NYI this year.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
They are VERY unlikely to make the playoffs next year, or even really come close. So why bother?

Is it so hard for Dorion to say:" As this season ends we want to re-iterate that we're very happy with the progress of our young players, both in Ottawa and Belleville. This year, while difficult in terms of wins and losses, was an integral part of our development as a rebuilding team. Hockey at the NHL level is a competitive business. As we look forward to next year we strive to be better. But make no mistake, there is still work to be done here. Rome was not built in a day. We will make every effort to win games but the true measure of our success in the coming year will be in the development curve of the outstanding young core players that we're lucky enough to have as Ottawa Senators. Being competitive is important but not at the cost of supporting and developing our young players and certainly not at the cost of providing them with opportunities to play important minutes in the NHL, as warranted. As such our primary offseason goal is to find a coaching staff that will be able to help these young players grow into a group that can one day compete for the Stanley Cup."

That took me 5 minutes. Sorry for any typos.

Thank you for this!

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
It was if I remember correctly:

Next year - Chase a playoff spot.

Year after - Make the playoffs.

Year aaaaaafter - Do damage in the playoffs.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I expect a bottom 3-5 finish, but it all depends on coaching and goaltending. Look at NYI this year.

Anderson in net still, ...Boro and Ceci.

We are ahead of the curve...
Insert2Hell.jpg

Reactions: Smeddy

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Ya I watched the presser and he didn't imply that the Sens are gonna make the playoffs next year. He said he hopes they contend for them next year and he expects them to be in the year after that. That's really not that bad, what's he gonna say, "we expect to finish 31st again next year?"

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Can we at least fix the thread title so people stop freaking out about something that was never actually said?

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, with the stars aligning things could go better than expected, but I have serious doubts about us bringing in a Trotz-caliber coach for one thing.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Bottoming out next year would be ideal.

It would accelerate the ability for this team to contend on a regular basis sooner.

This is true but it also risks us becoming the Oilers or Sabres if we intentionally tank... obviously it would be great to get Laf or someone else but I can’t see the team being as bad next year. No Boucher, lots of young players have improved, better goalies, etc.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How do we suppose the NHL would react to a GM saying they need to tank next season to get into the NHL lottery? The problem with this system is that they can't say the truth or they get penalized or fined for it. IMO it is quite obvious that if they are able to reach the cap floor with next season's roster that they are in no way trying to make the playoffs with a very young team especially if the intention is to continue to unload the UFA vets. They also have to consider that they need to sell tickets & with all the prospects & young players in their lineup they are selling hope while at the same time trying to find a way into the lottery. I think & hope they will again be the worse team in the NHL next season or close to the bottom so they have a shot at winning the 2020 lottery but after next season they have to show substantial improvement & contend for a playoff spot in 2021.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What he said was contending next year, being a playoff team the year after and being a playoff contending team the year after that.

I suppose we can all debate what contending next year means...but thats what he said
So wait a minute, he wants to compete for a playoff spot next year? How f***ing stupid can someone be? Real question, this organization is f***ing trolling this fanbase

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad