OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Give us the pics and we will decide ;)
I’ll spare you the shirtless photos, but here’s one of Me and the wife at the top of Mauna Kea at sunset.

Paul Rudd? Patrick Dempsey? Please.......

Attachments

• IMG_8496.jpeg
    IMG_8496.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
When I say value, I don't mean the recognition is only given to those of positive value. You could be recognized for threatening something that the entire world values I.E Stalin, Hitler, Putin

She was the first entertainer to gross $1 billion in a single year, for a single tour. She also rewrote the rules for both streaming and ticket sales. She is a force of nature, a business tycoon, a cultural phenomenon, a woman of empowerment, and she did it while maintaining a relatively scandal free image. You can't ignore that impact on society, regardless if you think she's earned the attention, she has the attention. That's all the award is about.

This is coming from someone who would never listen to her music, never mind go see her in concert. But there is no denying she is the biggest celebrity in the world right now.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I love the original Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim - look for the camera man in the mirror - I watched it dozens of times before I noticed).

One Magic Christmas with Mary Steenburgen is another favourite.

My favourite Christmas episode ever is the Vicar of Dibley - there are a couple but both are good, the one with the Brussels Sprouts is the best.

Will check, thank you.

Not a Xmas movie but I always re-watch Mary Poppins around this time of year

The Sound of Music is another one to check this time of year.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Will check, thank you.

The Sound of Music is another one to check this time of year.

This was a tradition my late grandmother and I had. When I lost her I'm 2013, I've kept the tradition going with my mom. Along with watching Midnight Mass like she did.

I always get emotional watching The Sound of Music. It makes me miss my grandmother so much. And the story really resonates with me and my family.

My grandmother was born and raised in Belgium. When the Nazi's came...it was horrible. They went into hiding. Running to farmhouses. Staying in shelters. The stories I was fortunate to hear from her would break anyone's hearts. They stole her dog. Her brother was captured and able to escape on a train. And just more horrible things. I did a project on her in high school that I have on a VHS cassette tape. There were a lot of things I wish I asked but too painful for her to talk about. She eventually met my late grandfather and became a war bride.

The Sound of Music was a movie musical she felt personally connected to. The ending always gets me.

Sorry for the long tangent. Whenever that movie is playing , I always feel compelled to talk about her. That woman was my everything. Still is.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This was a tradition my late grandmother and I had. When I lost her I'm 2013, I've kept the tradition going with my mom. Along with watching Midnight Mass like she did.

I always get emotional watching The Sound of Music. It makes me miss my grandmother so much. And the story really resonates with me and my family.

My grandmother was born and raised in Belgium. When the Nazi's came...it was horrible. They went into hiding. Running to farmhouses. Stating in shelters. The stories I was fortunate to hear from her would break anyone's hearts. They stole her dog. Her brother was captured and able to escape on a train. And just more horrible things. I did a project on her in high school that I have on a VHS cassette tape. There were a lot of things I wish I asked but too painful for her to talk about. She eventually met my late grandfather and became a war bride.

The Sound of Music was a movie musical she felt personally connected to. The ending always gets me.

Sorry for the long tangent. Whenever that movie is missing, I always feel compelled to talk about her. That woman was my everything. Still is.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

My grandmother was born and raised in Belgium. When the Nazi's came...it was horrible. They went into hiding. Running to farmhouses. Stating in shelters. The stories I was fortunate to hear from her would break anyone's hearts. They stole her dog. Her brother was captured and able to escape on a train. And just more horrible things. I did a project on her in high school that I have on a VHS cassette tape. There were a lot of things I wish I asked but too painful for her to talk about. She eventually met my late grandfather and became a war bride.

Sorry for the long tangent. Whenever that movie is missing, I always feel compelled to talk about her. That woman was my everything. Still is.

Nice story! You don't meet many people in the USA from Belgium. When I was in the Netherlands we spent a few weekends in Brussels, loved that city. Did she speak French or Dutch?

Reactions: Mione134

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
what do you guys think of the new Tosh show?
i watched all 4 episodes on youtube. i love his guests.
hes had his french friend. his wifes gyno, and athlete with no legs and his life coach.
guy is just funny.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If your kids are between 20 and 24/25, hopefully Phineas and Ferbs Christmas special is part of your holiday tradition.

You can‘t compare something from 1959 and 2020, but different things hit differently and that one will always bring me back to the great times we had when the kids were little and innocent.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
what do you guys think of the new Tosh show?
i watched all 4 episodes on youtube. i love his guests.
hes had his french friend. his wifes gyno, and athlete with no legs and his life coach.
guy is just funny.

Haven‘t seen those, but loved his show on Comedy Central.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Nice story! You don't meet many people in the USA from Belgium. When I was in the Netherlands we spent a few weekends in Brussels, loved that city. Did she speak French or Dutch?
French! But she always made sure we knew the distinction. We are NOT from France. :laugh:

Liège is where my family is from. I still have 1 aunt left and many, many, cousins who still live there.

I've always felt connected to my Belgian side. I'm also Italian, German, and Portuguese.

I used to be able to speak more French as a child, now I only remember the basics. I really want to get back and learn.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'll admit, on a couple of these I had no idea what I was supposed to be seeing. As for the others? A mix of :oops:o_O:laugh::biglaugh::amazed::facepalm::eek2:

Among my favorites:

Guy changed his oil, couldn't get the oil filter on, drove it to the shop with no oil in the car

Fixing the ball joint on your BMW with rope and ethernet cable

Schrodinger's sunroof

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Second year in a row December has been a three paycheck month plus we get a bonus on top of it. A check three out of four Fridays is nice!

Planning a trip to Portugal in April. Working on some travel hacking by getting a TAP credit card and paying for some tree work to get 60,000 miles which will pay for one of the four tickets.

My grandfather was born in Portugal so I can get citizenship through him but need to take a language test. I used to speak better Portuguese but immersion always works best. That and European Portuguese movies on Disney +

I am not sure I could see myself moving to the EU but its a nice gift to give the kids. Plus if they every want to move away I would much rather them be in the EU than the west coast.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Rehab report: I'm up to 10 minutes on the cross training machine- no resistance yet but that will come. Also doing more sets of the individual exercises. The therapist is happy with my approach to rehab she said it's always a pleasure to work with someone who's motivated so a gold star for me. I'm not happy with my leg strength (which is non-existent, both legs feel like they have cement shoes attached) but at this point the therapy is pointed to stretching out all the muscles, tendons etc that were cut or moved during the operation. I'm also still not happy with my overall lack of stamina, yesterday I worked a few hours then went to therapy. By the time I got home I was so exhausted I didn't bother to eat dinner I just went straight to bed.

I keep telling myself to be patient, it's going to take longer to get back to 100% now that I'm older but I'd by lying if I said I wasn't frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad