OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
My wife and I usually like to watch 2-3 good Christmas movies at this time of year. Some of our old favs are still great but are starting to wear just a little thin (Muppet Christmas Carol, Joyeux Noel, Love Actually, Nativity!, Nightmare Before Christmas) and I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions of other films that might be worth a look. Nothing too sappy or Hallmark-y, otherwise we're open to pretty much anything, even if it's a little obscure.
I just watched a Storm for Christmas on Netflix and really enjoyed It, a bit different and is Norwegian, so sub titles or dubbing is required.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not that anyone asked for my opinion but a couple of suggestions to make this place even better…..(and I sincerely love this place).

1. Add a care or heart emoji. The ”Like” button…..smiling guy with eye hearts, surprised guy and laughing guy are not appropriate for posts where people are sharing something sad or troubling.

2. Add a “snooze this member” feature. I have some people blocked and I’m good with it, but there are a few that I’d like to be able to snooze for 20-30 days at a time, then check back in on to see if they still annoy me.

lol

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
My daughter makes us watch White Christmas. If you haven't seen it you should

I just watched a Storm for Christmas on Netflix and really enjoyed It, a bit different and is Norwegian, so sub titles or dubbing is required.

Thank-you both, I'll check those out! Don't mind subtitles at all so that's fine.

Not that anyone asked for my opinion but a couple of suggestions to make this place even better…..(and I sincerely love this place).

1. Add a care or heart emoji. The ”Like” button…..smiling guy with eye hearts, surprised guy and laughing guy are not appropriate for posts where people are sharing something sad or troubling.

2. Add a “snooze this member” feature. I have some people blocked and I’m good with it, but there are a few that I’d like to be able to snooze for 20-30 days at a time, then check back in on to see if they still annoy me.

lol

A heart/care response option is a great idea.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
My wife and I usually like to watch 2-3 good Christmas movies at this time of year. Some of our old favs are still great but are starting to wear just a little thin (Muppet Christmas Carol, Joyeux Noel, Love Actually, Nativity!, Nightmare Before Christmas) and I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions of other films that might be worth a look. Nothing too sappy or Hallmark-y, otherwise we're open to pretty much anything, even if it's a little obscure.

The Bells of St. Mary's {1945}, starring Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman. A low-key charmer that will put you and yours in the holiday spirit forthwith.

Yes, you've seen them countless times, but how about It's a Wonderful Life (1946) and A Christmas Story (1983), Home Alone (1990) or Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)?

Rob Reiner's When Harry Met Sally (1989),

Also,

I realize that Australia is not the United States, but relative to TV stuff, you might find these on Youtube: A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965), The Andy Griffith Show, "The Christmas Story" (1960); "Happy Days," "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas?" (1974). Frasier: "Frasier Grinch," "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz."

If you want sentiment and 'tude,

Bonne chance, que Dieu vous bénisse, Joyeux Noël,

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I love the original Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim - look for the camera man in the mirror - I watched it dozens of times before I noticed).

One Magic Christmas with Mary Steenburgen is another favourite.

My favourite Christmas episode ever is the Vicar of Dibley - there are a couple but both are good, the one with the Brussels Sprouts is the best.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Die Hard! jk. I have seen some of the suggested movies, and with the exception of Christmas Carol and Wonderful Life, not really a fan. Of course, I have only seen chunks of the others, except for Christmas Story, which does very little for me. I do enjoy a good Christmas tv show once in a while. It is too bad Star Trek could not do a Christmas episode, but sadly it just did not fit in Roddenberry's world view at all.

Last edited:

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I doubt many consider it a Christmas movie, per se, but I do and have always loved watching The Family Man with nic cage over the holiday season

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Family, friends & I have watched "A Christmas Story" so many times we can recite entire passages of dialogue. We started when my sister's children were small, we'd have a viewing party at someone's house. The kids would play outside while the grown ups watched the movie. It was a particular favorite of Mom's because she was a small child during the early 1940s when the movie is set & she recognized a lot of things the characters said & did back then.

Last year we watched the sequel- it was OK but most of us prefer the original.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
8 Bit Christmas is up there with the classics.

Not exactly the same, but has some of the same story beats as A Christmas Story but is also still its own thing. As a kid of the late 80s/early 90s its exactly how Christmas was for me as a kid

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
There's a reason I have a portrait tattoo on my back of her. She's the absolute best.
She really is. I am so glad she came back fiercer than ever after stepping back after what Kim and Kanye did to her. Taylor not going after them legally speaks volumes of her character and epitomizes going high when someone else goes low.

I love that she is also re-recording her catalogue. Boss move.

The tatoo may be a little much but whatever floats your boat ;)

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
The article is fantastic.

just an opinion cuz we all got them...

With all the things going on in the world, this is what The Times believes is the person of the year? Ghandi, Eisenhower, JFK, MLK and now Taylor Swift...

1701877884872.png

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
She really is. I am so glad she came back fiercer than ever after stepping back after what Kim and Kanye did to her. Taylor not going after them legally speaks volumes of her character and epitomizes going high when someone else goes low.

I love that she is also re-recording her catalogue. Boss move.

The tatoo may be a little much but whatever floats your boat ;)
You're not wrong, lol - it IS a little much

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
just an opinion cuz we all got them...

With all the things going on in the world, this is what The Times believes is the person of the year? Ghandi, Eisenhower, JFK, MLK and now Taylor Swift...

View attachment 778611
She and Beyonce are the only two who can manage to unite people at least for one night.

Aside from those two, who would you have chosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad