WCSF: Vegas Defeats San Jose 4 Games to 2 and Advance to the Western Conference Finals

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Fun fact: Vegas has already won more series than my Isles have won in my twenty-plus years of being a fan. Kill me now.
For what it's worth, I'm old enough to remember with reverence Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Gillies, and the rest of that dynasty. Helluva team. Live another day.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Good series. Could’ve gone either way. In the end Gallant out coached Deboer and Vegas smothered the sharks in the neutral zone and at the blue line. This is actually the least upset I’ve ever been about a sharks playoff loss because after watching this series even if they had managed to squeak by Vegas, Winnipeg or Nashville would have swept them.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
They have my least favorite team and fan base in the NHL (although I actually think some of their fans on here are cool) which makes it so much worse. I would have rather lost to Anaheim because it isn’t nearly as embarrassing.

I am sorry you had bad experiences with VGK fans. I have only been able to go to two games myself (tickets are a little out of my budget) so I can't speak to what happens most games in the T-Mobile. However, I would be surprised if similar encounters don't happen in most arenas in the NHL. I would be surprised if all fanbases don't have their share of classless idiots. Still that doesn't excuse the actions of those who insulted you.

I get disliking rivals, but I prefer a respectful rivalry. Hopefully that can be earned in time.

Reactions: Northern Knights

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Good series. Could’ve gone either way. In the end Gallant out coached Deboer and Vegas smothered the sharks in the neutral zone and at the blue line. This is actually the least upset I’ve ever been about a sharks playoff loss because after watching this series even if they had managed to squeak by Vegas, Winnipeg or Nashville would have swept them.

The situation was very similar to that of the LAK-VGK series. LAK had many shots go widely and hit posts against the Knights.

Reactions: WSS11

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
After game 4 Vegas stopped trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and switched up their game plan. They literally did what the Sharks did, but did it better. They pressured the puck carrier, clogged up the neutral zone and transitioned off turnovers. They took what the Sharks did in games 2-4 and beat them at it. Can't be mad about that.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Hitting the post is the same as missing the net, get over it. Lost in this discussion is some of the saves Fleury made he was fantastic.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
After game 4 Vegas stopped trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and switched up their game plan. They literally did what the Sharks did, but did it better. They pressured the puck carrier, clogged up the neutral zone and transitioned off turnovers. They took what the Sharks did in games 2-4 and beat them at it. Can't be mad about that.

Couldn’t agree more man

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Vegas moves on, nothing surprises me about them anymore. Still think Nashville or Winnipeg will beat them.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The laws of physics are brought up a lot here. This is straw grasping at it's best. Vegas was the better team in that series.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The laws of physics are brought up a lot here. This is straw grasping at it's best. Vegas was the better team in that series.
They were, but no one can persuade me that hitting the post is the same as missing the net. Post shots have a possibility of going in while missed nets have 0 chance

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In its first year, Vegas ties Toronto in the number of times either team has been to a conference final since 1967. :banghead:

Reactions: HanSolo

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I know all this revisionist history going on I'm starting to think that maybe we drafted 30 Generational Players....

Of course we did. You need only go back to the post-draft predictions by all the hockey experts that Vegas would be the best expansion team of all time, any sport.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Only difference between a post and "missed" shot is the sound the puck makes at the end of its trajectory.

Posts are not 50/50 and although they do make you go "ooooooo", they had no more likelihood to go in than a shot that hit the glass behind the goalie.

It isnt physics, either, its geometry. Tangents, specifically, when talking about the posts and crossbar. I would draw a diagram as it is too hard to explain (for me), but bottom line, shooting far-side corner and hitting the post gives larger "room for error" to still go in than shooting short-side and hitting the post.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Yep, speaking as a former goalie, you hit the post/crossbar because that's all I gave you to shoot at.

Well done, LV!!!

This is very well put. Shooters go for the post in the hopes of getting around a goalie for a bar-in. That shot is a matter of milimeters between in and out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad