WCSF: Vegas Defeats San Jose 4 Games to 2 and Advance to the Western Conference Finals

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Except you know, the post and crossbar aren't a part of the scoring area. What if someone misses the net by 5 feet from in close and the other hits the post from 50 feet out? Which is luckier? Come to think of it, how do you grade luck? Quite honestly, luck is a fabricated concept made up by people to help justify their shortcomings in an effort to make themselves feel better.

The point is, if you hit the post, people generally assume you beat the goalie, but were just centimeters off of scoring.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Again, is the goalie supposed to save shots going towards the post? And I'd like to know what kind of math did you use to get the 50/50 split? A puck hitting the post is far likelier to stay out than to go in in most cases.
Depends which parts of the post... outsides not so much, insides, front and crossbar hell yes.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Well, arbitrarily speaking, when a puck hits the post or the crossbar, they're either capable of going in the net or staying out of the net. 50/50 chance there. Sharks managed to hit the post and the crossbar in many of their shots, and their shots stayed out of the net all the time. So, let's say they did that five times, and five out of the five times they all stayed out. It's quite uncommon to keep all five chances out of the net, when each has a 50% chance of going in the net.

I don't call shots of Fleury shortcomings, the Sharks obviously beat the goaltender with the shot, but the shot hit the post and stayed out. It's luck at best, since Fleury could not make the save, yet the shot on goal stayed out.

This really isn’t true. Physics does exist but you clearly have no grasp on it. Simply put, all posts are not even. If you hit the inside of the post it’s likely going to go in. If you hit the middle it’ll bounce straight(ish) back out, and if you hit the outside it’ll bounce out a hard angle. IE if your shot hits the post and doesn’t go in you didn’t shoot it well enough. It’s not luck doing this.

Reactions: Ivan13

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The point is, if you hit the post, people generally assume you beat the goalie, but were just centimeters off of scoring.

Again, is the goalie supposed to save shots going towards the post? Try telling a goalie he was beaten if a shot hit the post. I get the sentiment that you were close to scoring and missed by a hair, but to repeat myself, what is luckier for the goalie, that the guy shooting from one foot missed the complete goal, or that a guy shooting from the point hits the post? Using the absolutistic logic the other poster is advocating, the second is the luckier outcome for the goalie even though common sense and all else suggest the first scenario being the obvious answer there.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Congrats to Vegas! If the Preds can't win two in a row, I am on the Golden Knights wagon.

They took what the other teams gave them and built a team that plays for each other and really has an us against the world mentality.

But please consider losing that pregame Treasure Island/Excalibur show. Yikes.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Neither my Stars or Rangers made the postseason; I’ve been behind Vegas and was hoping they could do something amazing. Congrats.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Again, is the goalie supposed to save shots going towards the post? And I'd like to know what kind of math did you use to get the 50/50 split? A puck hitting the post is far likelier to stay out than to go in in most cases.

Yes, some. Also, it's either staying in or staying out, so I said 50/50.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I honestly think they’ll go to the finals.

In some Universe, Ovechkin finally gets to the Cup Finals and loses to the Expansion Team :laugh:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
This really isn’t true. Physics does exist but you clearly have no grasp on it. Simply put, all posts are not even. If you hit the inside of the post it’s likely going to go in. If you hit the middle it’ll bounce straight(ish) back out, and if you hit the outside it’ll bounce out a hard angle. IE if your shot hits the post and doesn’t go in you didn’t shoot it well enough. It’s not luck doing this.

At any rate, the puck got past Fleury, so there was a possibility of the puck going in the net. So, we don't need to get into the laws of phsyics, necessarily, for this type of discussion. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
At any rate, the puck got past Fleury, so there was a possibility of the puck going in the net. So, we don't need to get into the laws of phsyics, necessarily, for this type of discussion. [mod]

And so does a puck that misses the net by a cm. Does that beat Fleury too? No, you have to score to beat Fleury. If you shoot a puck and it wouldn’t have gone in without a goalie even there then how can you possibly say you beat the goalie? You have to put it on net to potentially score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ivan13

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Just because there’s two outcomes doesn’t make it 50/50. There’s so many other factors.
I mean from a pure statistical point of view that is true.... but it isn't nearly as fun.

I like to see absolutely everything as 50/50, either it will happen or it won't......... Much like there was a 50/50 chance of Vegas going 82 and 0 during the regular season..... sounds much more likely than 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
And so does a puck that misses the net by a cm. Does that beat Fleury too? No, you have to score to beat Fleury. If you shoot a puck and it wouldn’t have gone in without a goalie even there then how can you possibly say you beat the goalie? You have to put it on net to potentially score.

You can have the puck get past the goaltender but hit the post or the crossbar. It happens, so you were wrong there.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
You can have the puck get past the goaltender but hit the post or the crossbar. It happens, so you were wrong there.

Yes but it likely hit the inside of the post or the crossbar. That’s why they count that as a shot on goal and not a shot that hits the post and doesn’t go in. This really isn’t that complicated.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
So if they're not better on paper, what are all the factors giving them the wins?

better conditioning?
better coaching?
willing to play a system at the expense of personal gains?
more heart?
proving the naysayers wrong?
Las Vegas distractions at home for opponents?
opponents taking them too easy due to expansion team?
other factors?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
So if they're not better on paper, what are all the factors giving them the wins?

better conditioning?
better coaching?
willing to play a system at the expense of personal gains?
more heart?
proving the naysayers wrong?
Las Vegas distractions at home for opponents?
opponents taking them too easy due to expansion team?
other factors?

I think the fact that there's a new franchise makes them work hard. After all, practice makes perfection.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Especially considering all 4 posts the Sharks hit bounced out while Vegas' 1 by Schmidt went in. Game of bounces and they went Vegas' way last night.

Giuseppe Franco

Jun 1, 2008
Fun fact: Vegas has already won more series than my Isles have won in my twenty-plus years of being a fan. Kill me now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad