GDT: WCSF Gm#5 | KINGS#5 vs. SHARKS#6 | Thursday, 5/23/’13 @ 7:30pm PT | NBC-SN, TSN, RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron*

Imagine if the Kings end up 6-0 with Martinez and 0-6 without Martinez. :cry:

I've seen enough of this Martinez baloney.

Just because he is in the lineup doesn't mean he's the difference. He was awful in game 2 of this series, a game the Kings won only because the Sharks went into dunce-mode the last two minutes of the game.

Having Martinez in the lineup would be great if he was the Martinez of last season. He is not. I love the kid but the reality of the matter is he is having a really bad season, and Sutter is doing the right thing here. As long as Greene remains healthy its not likely he is going to step out on the ice again this playoff season.

Captain Mittens*

Just because he is in the lineup doesn't mean he's the difference. He was awful in game 2 of this series, a game the Kings won only because the Sharks went into dunce-mode the last two minutes of the game.

Maybe that is part of the Martinez-Magic

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005

Ron*

Maybe that is part of the Martinez-Magic

I stopped believing in jinxes and curses when the Kings won the Cup last season.

Now its just pure logic for me. ;)

As I said before, I really like Martinez. And I really feel for him as well, because he showed so much promise the last two seasons. He just hasn't been himself this season, and he has really hurt the team in crucial situations.

Our defense has been patchwork all season long. :(

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Having Martinez in the lineup would be great if he was the Martinez of last season. He is not. I love the kid but the reality of the matter is he is having a really bad season, and Sutter is doing the right thing here. As long as Greene remains healthy its not likely he is going to step out on the ice again this playoff season.

The Kings have lost every game he's been out 2-1, and they've scored 16 goals in the games that's he's played. Defenseman are not always about defence.

Ron*

The Kings have lost every game he's been out 2-1, and they've scored 16 goals in the games that's he's played. Defenseman are not always about defence.

Yeah.

What's he done on the offensive end that has been so special? Maybe you can enlighten both me and Daryl.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

One thing you don't mention is Besides Doughty, Martinez is the best at carrying the puck out of the defensive zone (Voynov is better at the outlet pass but not better carry the puck out) . Our biggest problem is Scuds, Greene, Muzzin, and Reagher cannot carry the puck out which works the forwards to much.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Thorton isn't going to fight a player that isn't of equal value to the Kings.

Right now, we don't have a player equal to Thornton.
^^^^^^^^
This:(
We could sure use a Grim Reaper or a Marty McSorley type for this series. Bad enough our O isn't scoring.

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yeah.

What's he done on the offensive end that has been so special? Maybe you can enlighten both me and Daryl.

One thing you don't mention is Besides Doughty, Martinez is the best at carrying the puck out of the defensive zone (Voynov is better at the outlet pass but not better carry the puck out) . Our biggest problem is Scuds, Greene, Muzzin, and Reagher cannot carry the puck out which works the forwards to much.

^^^ That.

Plus Martinez isn't afraid to pinch at appropriate times and get wrist shots to the net. All of this was a HUGE part of our success last year. Doughty can do it, Voynov can sometimes do it, and that's it. Muzzin is too scared and Regher/Greene/Scuderi will start backing out of the zone if the puck is more than six inches in front of them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Voynov is brutal at puck entry on the powerplay. Having Martinez out there on the second unit means there's a chance to get the puck into the zone under control instead of watching Voynov dick around with it until everyone is standing still at the blueline, then he dumps it and chases it himself only to (unsurprisingly) not gain posession.

Last edited:

Alisa

Quickie fangirl
Oct 10, 2010
Orange County, Ca
We have it in us to win this game if we play right. Hoping that happens and this series feels a whole lot better at midnight.

Go Kings Go!!!

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Martinez is also our best defencemen when it comes to seeing when to jump up into the play without the puck to create odd man rushes

He does a lot of things that aren't really noticeable when he is doing it, but when he isn't playing and Ellerby is, you see what Martinez is able to do

Ron*

^^^ That.

Plus Martinez isn't afraid to pinch at appropriate times and get wrist shots to the net. All of this was a HUGE part of our success last year. Doughty can do it, Voynov can sometimes do it, and that's it. Muzzin is too scared and Regher/Greene/Scuderi will start backing out of the zone if the puck is more than six inches in front of them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Voynov is brutal at puck entry on the powerplay. Having Martinez out there on the second unit means there's a chance to get the puck into the zone under control instead of watching Voynov dick around with it until everyone is standing still at the blueline, then he dumps it and chases it himself only to (unsurprisingly) not gain posession.

I don't disagree with you that he can do those things, but has that really been happening? I mean, if he has been an offensive asset, why would Daryl sit him?

gtwyc

FlyingHeadButts4All
Jun 5, 2011
los angeles, ca
Richards would get his ass handed to him. Realistically we have no one really to fight Joe and give it to him. If only king or kopitar had that in them. But Joe is too big for Clifford. Maybe Nolan but that's stretching it.

I want to see jt get his ass beat and Clifford can definitely do it. Needless to say Nolan can put him on his ass too. One of my fav moments of the season was when Nolan cut open souray's nose and also rag dolled Bryan Allen! But those two are the only ones I want fighting jt

gtwyc

FlyingHeadButts4All
Jun 5, 2011
los angeles, ca
I think voynov is as good if not better than amart at joining the rush. He's very smart about when to join and when not to

Ron*

Martinez is also our best defencemen when it comes to seeing when to jump up into the play without the puck to create odd man rushes

He does a lot of things that aren't really noticeable when he is doing it, but when he isn't playing and Ellerby is, you see what Martinez is able to do

As to also escape the notice of the coaching staff?

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna defer to Sutter's brilliance here. Until he fails, I will defer to his judgment.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Time to leave the women and children at home and do some serious Shark hunting. Play a full 60 and get the W. Let's go!!:yo:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The bottom line is that San Jose's top players have been better than the Kings' best players so far this series. Kopitar needs to be better than Thornton, Richards needs to be better than Marleau, Carter needs to be better than Couture, and Brown needs to be better than Pavelski. Quick can't score goals.

Doughty has been playing really well, though. Keep it up, Drew. You too, Slava.

ARIES626

Long live the Kings!
Mar 9, 2013
Rowland Heights Ca.
The Sharks are nothing but scavengers that have been feeding off the Kings poor play long enough, It's time for the Kings to play like the champions they are and put forth a solid 60 minutes tonight and Sunday to finally put an end to this series!! GO KINGS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad