GDT: WCSF Gm#3 | KINGS#5 @ SHARKS#6 | Saturday, 5/18/’13 @ 6:00pm PT | NBC-SN, TSN, RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Man, Sutter really dislikes Martinez. He had ONE bad game and he gets benched for it. Ellerby hasn't had ONE good game. This is ridiculous, I'm going to be very disappointed if Martinez is scratched

My thoughts completely. Martinez clearly did not have a game 2 but he's been good ever other game this playoffs. Ellerby is terrible and, as you said, hasn't had a good game yet as a King. I try not to question Sutter as he is light years ahead of Murray as a coach but this one is baffling.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Full confidence in Sutter. He's not afraid to take risks and that's what it takes to be a winner at everything in life.
Kings for the win tonight.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
....so you're going to start a rookie in his first game in game 3 of a postseason vs a team who is DESPERATE to win a game and down 2-0? I know questioning Sutter goes wrong a lot but I don't like it whatsoever. Also, anyone but LOLerby. Please.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
....so you're going to start a rookie in his first game in game 3 of a postseason vs a team who is DESPERATE to win a game and down 2-0? I know questioning Sutter goes wrong a lot but I don't like it whatsoever. Also, anyone but LOLerby. Please.

Like someone else said, I'm just not gonna question it till AFTER the game, haha.

And, it might be a nice shot of energy/adrenaline to put him in the lineup to counter the Sharks' desperation. I don't know much of Tanner's game, but I know he brings it and can dig for the puck. We could use some of that.

But I'm with you on Ellerby. Hope he's a pleasant surprise.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I should say right now the one thing that worries me most about having Ellerby in is his awareness--I fully expect the Sharks to look for back-door plays all night, even if they're not clean...throwing pucks from the corner out front and trying to beat Quick to the other side. I don't really trust Ellerby to watch for that more than I would Martinez. But his size and speed should be an asset on the boards. Here's hoping!

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Like someone else said, I'm just not gonna question it till AFTER the game, haha.

And, it might be a nice shot of energy/adrenaline to put him in the lineup to counter the Sharks' desperation. I don't know much of Tanner's game, but I know he brings it and can dig for the puck. We could use some of that.

But I'm with you on Ellerby. Hope he's a pleasant surprise.

That's a good point. Remember the energy King and Nolan brought last year when called up. Obviously, Toffoli is bringing it. Pearson might too.

Muzzfan

Mar 10, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
I have the same concerns about Ellerby. The game goes right by him oftentimes.

Martinez has been excellent helping skate the puck out of the zone and support on rushes.

Let's see if a rested Ellerby that has watched the game from upstairs can improve from that obesrvation.

As for Pearson, I am super excited to see him play. Maybe he and Toffoli will end up on a line together at some time and see how their AHL chemsitry works in the NHL.

Go Kings!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm fine with the Pearson experiment. The Kings 4th line has been an issue all year so, as others have alluded to, it doesn't hurt to try and inject some intensity and, for lack of a better word, naivete, onto that line.

The Ellerby move makes no sense. I hope I'm proven wrong like Sutter often does to a lot of us but Ellerby belongs in the AHL not the heated NHL playoffs.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Never in the world would I have thought we'd put in a rookie! First nhl game is in the playoffs? Sutter isn't normally that type of guy. Man that third line cold be crazy tenacious.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't necessarily agree with the defensive change because A-mart has been nails for all but one game, but Ellerby does bring more size. SJ is a very big team.

Pearson is interesting... I'm hoping he pulls a Kreider. I haven't been to any practices so I have no idea how he has been looking. Quite the debut for any rookie.

What's next? Vey? Reuniting Toffoli-Vey-Pearson as the 4th line? Muzzin on the wing? Penner playing the first line all by himself and getting the Ovechtrick?

Well, I suppose a lot of us used to complain about the ridiculous favoring of veteran players under both Andy and Terry Murray. Guess we finally got our wish!

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
From nothelen:

Sutter says he hasn't decided if he will go with 7D and 11 forwards or six and 12. Says if he goes with 12F, pearson will play

I bet you he'll go with 7 D and keep Pearson out and Martinez in.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
More Martinez, More Winning
caliburrito1.png

martinez01.jpg

Stanley-Cup-parade-Martinez-by-Ikiri.jpg

Alec+Martinez+2012+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+Game+-TqaCEJYfull.jpg

martinez02.jpg

With a dash of our amazing rookie
tyler_toffoli_los_angeles_031813.jpg

GKG!

dogyekcoh*

Am I the only one who noticed that the two players being replaced tonight are the two who took the uneccessary penalties on game 2. Nolan for slashing and Martinez holding and hooking. The call on Carter was a result of a quick turn by Vlasic.

Alisa

Quickie fangirl
Oct 10, 2010
Orange County, Ca
Am I the only one who noticed that the two players being replaced tonight are the two who took the uneccessary penalties on game 2. Nolan for slashing and Martinez holding and hooking. The call on Carter was a result of a quick turn by Vlasic.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to attempt to avoid being short handed in hp.

I do not try to understand the genius that is Sutter, I have faith he's onto something though.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Never one to question Sutter, but with Havlat playing tonight and SJ moving Gomez to the 3rd line, they have a lot more speed and skill in there top 9. Gomez was pretty effective for them in Gm 2.

Martinez had a really bad game, but he's still more mobile, smarter and most importantly able to transition out of the d-zone way better than Ellerby. This game will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad