Potential Season Ending Epic Double-Assed GDT: WCSF Game #5: Nashville @ St. Louis | 7:00 CST | NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The Blues only started using the variant with two players in the second (drop pass receiving) wave this year, IIRC.

Whats the difference? I usually space out with despair when we have a PP...also its hard to tell everyones placement on TV

Ed is turning himself into a potential triggerman as well....very willing to jump into the play and very willing to shoot.
Eddy was known for his shot prior to the NHL, so it is an option. I haven't focused enough to see how well he can move the puck under pressure in a PP situation. It would give us a 1 time option on the right point and he's strong on defense to fall back if need be

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but does anyone know why the towel guy didn't count the 2nd goal last night? I was at the game, and a few minutes after we scored the second goal, they showed him on the jumbo tron holding up a sign, but I'm not sure what it said.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but does anyone know why the towel guy didn't count the 2nd goal last night? I was at the game, and a few minutes after we scored the second goal, they showed him on the jumbo tron holding up a sign, but I'm not sure what it said.

He did count it. I only remember because I have this weird habit of noting where he throws the towel a majority of the time. He threw the first one down into section 110 and then for Schwartz's goal, he threw it back and to his right which is where he throws about 40% of the towels if you wanna get seats in a place where you're likely to get one.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Whats the difference? I usually space out with despair when we have a PP...also its hard to tell everyones placement on TV
One guy back means four guys forward, which is generally less effective for several reasons. It clutters the blue line with 8 guys, which makes it harder for the initial puck carrier to find a play to cross the line, and if he can't find one it also makes the drop pass location much easier to read (and subsequently defend by shifting coverage in that direction and cheating a weak side guy back for a potential dump retrieval).

Attacking in a 3-2 wave (two guys back for a potential drop pass) alleviates both those drawbacks. Less bodies along the blue line means more space for the first wave to try to find a way into the zone, which should always be the first option. Most teams defend by dropping all forward PKers back to their blue line with no one higher than the red line. Keeping one defender high to potentially defend the two late guys isn't particularly effective, and it means 6 guys on the line for a potential entry, which is a lot of space for the offense to work with.

That usually leaves two guys coming down the ice relatively unopposed in the second wave with speed. No defenders can cheat too far away from the line (either back to retrieve or forward to challenge) without opening an exploitable hole for entry because the play can easily go to either side entering the zone, and the defensive coverage can't cheat by shifting their horizontal coverage either way for the same reason.

If all the defenders hold the line, you can still try to force a situation where one defender needs to cover two offensive players (usually toward a wall)...the defender attacked will almost always back off to protect against the guy with speed getting behind him, leaving an opening to pass to an offensive player that's now no longer being marked. You can create even more confusion for the coverage by having a forward or two dragging the line to create some uncertainty, but it's not required as the play is effective even without it.

If every defender stays home and an opening doesn't appear (or is just missed), you can still dump it into either corner away from the goalie because you have two guys hitting the line with speed and the defense is static along the line. No matter how it plays out the offense has a decided advantage entering the zone, as long as the puck carriers are able to make the required reads and plays.

I only really started noticing the two man variant this year. Someone smart somewhere figured out it was an improvement and it caught on big time.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
He did count it. I only remember because I have this weird habit of noting where he throws the towel a majority of the time. He threw the first one down into section 110 and then for Schwartz's goal, he threw it back and to his right which is where he throws about 40% of the towels if you wanna get seats in a place where you're likely to get one.

Well I'll be. My fiancé and I were certain he didn't - we must have been really into the game and just missed it, haha.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
One guy back means four guys forward, which is generally less effective for several reasons. It clutters the blue line with 8 guys, which makes it harder for the initial puck carrier to find a play to cross the line, and if he can't find one it also makes the drop pass location much easier to read (and subsequently defend by shifting coverage in that direction and cheating a weak side guy back for a potential dump retrieval).

Attacking in a 3-2 wave (two guys back for a potential drop pass) alleviates both those drawbacks. Less bodies along the blue line means more space for the first wave to try to find a way into the zone, which should always be the first option. Most teams defend by dropping all forward PKers back to their blue line with no one higher than the red line. Keeping one defender high to potentially defend the two late guys isn't particularly effective, and it means 6 guys on the line for a potential entry, which is a lot of space for the offense to work with.

That usually leaves two guys coming down the ice relatively unopposed in the second wave with speed. No defenders can cheat too far away from the line (either back to retrieve or forward to challenge) without opening an exploitable hole for entry because the play can easily go to either side entering the zone, and the defensive coverage can't cheat by shifting their horizontal coverage either way for the same reason.

If all the defenders hold the line, you can still try to force a situation where one defender needs to cover two offensive players (usually toward a wall)...the defender attacked will almost always back off to protect against the guy with speed getting behind him, leaving an opening to pass to an offensive player that's now no longer being marked. You can create even more confusion for the coverage by having a forward or two dragging the line to create some uncertainty, but it's not required as the play is effective even without it.

If every defender stays home and an opening doesn't appear (or is just missed), you can still dump it into either corner away from the goalie because you have two guys hitting the line with speed and the defense is static along the line. No matter how it plays out the offense has a decided advantage entering the zone, as long as the puck carriers are able to make the required reads and plays.

I only really started noticing the two man variant this year. Someone smart somewhere figured out it was an improvement and it caught on big time.

Thank you for that break down. It makes perfect sense. It does seem like the time between the drop pass and the retrieval of it is too much. The 2nd wave looks slow as malasisis.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
It still seems to me - and this is especially apparent on the Power Play, but also on 5v5 - that we don't seem to know what to do AFTER we get into the Offensive Zone. Our procedure is to simply cycle the puck until we are forced into taking a shot, rather than trying to create a shot.

If we were to engage more in the center of the ice, I think this would draw defenders, open up the point, and give meaning to puck movement (assuming that we actually move the puck to the OTHER half of the ice, and not just mostly on the strong-side). In order to "create the shot", we have to force the opponent to make a mistake, and then capitalize, and that's just not going to happen when they can sit uncontested in the middle of the ice and block chances from the perimeter. I suppose we could get lucky that Rinne gets screened by his own players, but I think it's worth losing an extra man along the board (both on 5v5 and the PP) to create a net-front presence. The player along the boards has to drive HARD towards the center of the ice and threaten to shoot. If the shot just isn't there, we need to pass to the point and make a quick D-to-D pass while that original winger continues to drive the net and create havoc. Then the Strong-side D has the opportunity to make a point shot, pass down low to the strong-side winger, or pass back to the weak-side Dman and continue to work the play.

I'm tired of seeing cycling along the boards to maintain possession only to funnel it back to the point. What did that change in the defense? Nothing. Nothing was accomplished other than eating time and maintaining possession (which is an awful strategy on the PP and a weak strategy the rest of the time. I think this is why we are so successful if we score first, and subsequently why we seem to "turtle" and eventually lose our lead after the winger has completely dizzied himself from over-cycling and then makes a bad pass to one of our Dmen. Breakaway ensues, our players are tired and dizzy, and we either get scored on on the breakaway, or the following sustained pressure.

Sure, our zone entry is sloppy, and of course this is so - only AP is left from our regular season zone-entry success (Parayko still needs work if he isn't given/allowing himself to carry the puck at least as an option), but I think it's far more troubling, and easier to fix, our game plan AFTER we get in the Offensive Zone. I actually think the STRATEGY of our zone entry is just fine - we just are missing some key players to make it most effective (Fabbri, Shattenkirk, a healthy Steen and Stastny). Fix what happens IN the zone after entering, and I think we'll start decisively winning some games.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Hopefully tomorrow during the game I'll be sitting on Waikiki Beach drinking a BL Plat listening to the game on my ear buds.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Just finished my GDT for today's game. Gave it to CI so he can post it with his for another Double Assed GDT. He said he should have it up later this morning. The lack of sleep is a ***** but if it works I will happy to do this again. Lets take this thing to game 7.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Working on the GDT now. Any idea of what the lines are gonna look like? I couldn't find anything on twitter unless I am blind, which may be possible :laugh:

Lines? I thought the name was the Blues. But either way, I have no idea what the lines or blues are gonna look like. It is time to silence the crowd in music city, remember the titans style.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
If you watched the Caps Pens game last night the officiating was pretty decent. They called trips which is always one of the most easiest calls to make and very blatant stuff. They let the boys play hockey. It was very refreshing to see the refs not changing the outcome of the game. This also made the game very fierce and entertaining. I hope the refs are going to do the same for our game today. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad