Pre-Game Talk: WCSF | Game 2 | Vancouver Canucks @ Vegas Golden Knights - Aug 25 - 6:45PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Vegas made the best young defenseman in the league look average, what do you think they'd do with a young dman who is actually average, in the AHL?
I thought the little I saw of him he looked sharp. He passed the eye test, I’d rather a young up and coming D man get some playoff experience rather then playing a guy like Benn that really gets us no where in the long run. Why not try it? We’ve already seen the worst that can happen in gm1 lol

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I thought the little I saw of him he looked sharp. He passed the eye test, I’d rather a young up and coming D man get some playoff experience rather then playing a guy like Benn that really gets us no where in the long run. Why not try it? We’ve already seen the worst that can happen in gm1 lol
Giving young up and coming D experience, over an actual NHL quality dman, even a bottom pairing one, decreases your chance of actually winning games.
Like pretty clearly...

Same reason sutter is 3c and not Gaudette. Even though Gaudette is probably the better scoring option, Sutter helps prevent the team from losing better than Gaudette at 3c does.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's not just some "victim mentality". Even the most objective unbiased person could tell you that the Ron MacLean v. Burrows hatchet job on HNIC was both an unprofessional low blow and a major catalyst in making the Canucks so widely disliked. We're talking about a major media figurehead going on national television and using his platform to single out one player's dirty laundry, that's more than just "his share of negative coverage" -- imagine if he did the same for Chara or Thornton or any of the other dozens of dirtbags on that Bruins roster.

You won't find a lot of leftover hate from those days, our team is getting a lot of good attention from the media now, the play of Pettersson and Hughes in this playoffs has been especially captivating and they are lauding it. It also helps having someone like Bieksa on the HNIC panel. But it's insane to dismiss the media coverage from that run as "not different"

For sure, the Burrows/MacLean thing was the one that stands out. It meant to have that one in my post but I forgot, so thanks for adding it.

Other than that, whole lot of nothing.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Not a single point in 11 games and zero physicality and zero speed while playing on the 2nd line.

Totally ridiculous. He doesn’t not belong ona 2nd line in the NHL and I agree fully, he needs to come out for MacEwen as we were physically pushed around by Vegas.

That's my entire grips with Eriksson, he's playing a total filler role. He doesn't excel at anything, at the very least he used to be able to deflect goals in or was positioned well in the offensive zone but he's lost that as well. He excels at nothing, any AHL fodder that specializes in one skill like skating or a good shot would be more useful than Eriksson.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks were 20th overall in 'goals against' this season and 25th overall in allowing shot attempts. Those are 'lottery team stats' folks. In fact I'd wager that a few of the NHL bottom feeders who didn't even make the play-in series, are not that far off those totals. And keep in mind, those stats are 'with' Markstrom playing out of his mind most nights.

I've asked myself on more than few occasions: "Why are the Canucks such a lousy defensive team? Is it personnel? Coaching?

I know one thing, if Barry Trotz were coaching this team, there's no way some of these veteran players would be getting away with some of the egregious turnovers and blown coverages they exhibit on so many occasions.

You can't tell me that the New York Islanders have any better personnel than the Canucks. In fact they probably don't. But they're still one of the best defensive teams in the league. The Canucks loose coverage and brain cramp turnovers doesn't reflect well on either the coach or the veteran players.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Put Horvat with Pettersson and Boeser please. Stop spreading out this paper thin lineup, lets give our top guys a chance to carry the game. Horvat is playing with some confidence, let him play wing and focus on scoring.

Horvat Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Miller Virtanen
Roussel Sutter Gaudette
Motte Beagle Mackewen

I've wanted to see Horvat on a line with Pettersson for a while and he's seemingly the only player on the roster who will never get that spot.
Horvat was playing with confidence 5 games ago. Horvat needs to anchor a line without Petterson. He has been given Miller and Boeser without any payoff. Horvat's play is likely team's most important factor as he needs to match up with a top Vegas line. If he cannot do so team will lose.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
We know what Horvat can do when he's "on". We need that starting tomorrow night. He's not the only one who needs to up his game, but he's the most significant.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Neutral zone is the biggest issue against Vegas and why we will likely struggle. Vegas system feasts on poor neutral zone play and greens system plays right into it. If the Canucks don’t clean up things at even strength it will be a short series. If they play disciplined smart hockey they might stretch out this series.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
When I was driving around today doing errands, it crossed my mind that I would love to have prime Sergio Momesso and Curt Fraser in the line-up tomorrow night. :naughty:

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I don't think people in here understand the goal is to try to win games here.
Not experiment and treat this like development camp for the future just cause people would think a prospect having some Playoff experience will do him some good.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Seems the refs have put away the whistle halfway through round one. We're looking at 1-3 power plays a game per team most likely.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I’d really like to see Juolevi at some point in this series.

Agree - we go down 2-0 there's really nothing to lose - might as well see what we've got here. Would love to see him even next game but that will be too soon for Green I'm sure.

Benn has played decent but he's a black hole offensively. If OJ is gonna be part of the future might as well get a glimpse........

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Seems the refs have put away the whistle halfway through round one. We're looking at 1-3 power plays a game per team most likely.
Probably why first round is the most exciting.

2nd round onwards is just a complete bore fest full of clutch and grab hockey. I still watch but I find the entertainment level sags big time.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Put Horvat with Pettersson and Boeser please. Stop spreading out this paper thin lineup, lets give our top guys a chance to carry the game. Horvat is playing with some confidence, let him play wing and focus on scoring.

Horvat Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Miller Virtanen
Roussel Sutter Gaudette
Motte Beagle Mackewen

I've wanted to see Horvat on a line with Pettersson for a while and he's seemingly the only player on the roster who will never get that spot.

Interesting. Would like to see

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Ehhhh, if Vegas players were insinuating to Horvat that they shagged his wife, the reaction would probably be a bit different.

I love Kesler and Burrows (or used to, in Kesler’s case) but we probably need to be self-aware enough to realize that what they did went into a totally different dimension than this hokey G-rated stuff from Vegas. I mean, ‘little squirt’? It’s what a 12 y/o said to an annoying 7 y/o in 1985. Next we’ll probably hear that someone told Tanev his uniform smelled grody.

The taunting’s so childish it’s insulting, reverse psychological warfare lol, Canucks were so bad they’re taunting them with grade school stuff, Canucks didn’t raise their emotions to the point that they’re actually pissed off and dropping F bombs with personal attacks.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The Canucks were 20th overall in 'goals against' this season and 25th overall in allowing shot attempts. Those are 'lottery team stats' folks. In fact I'd wager that a few of the NHL bottom feeders who didn't even make the play-in series, are not that far off those totals. And keep in mind, those stats are 'with' Markstrom playing out of his mind most nights.

I've asked myself on more than few occasions: "Why are the Canucks such a lousy defensive team? Is it personnel? Coaching?

I know one thing, if Barry Trotz were coaching this team, there's no way some of these veteran players would be getting away with some of the egregious turnovers and blown coverages they exhibit on so many occasions.

You can't tell me that the New York Islanders have any better personnel than the Canucks. In fact they probably don't. But they're still one of the best defensive teams in the league. The Canucks loose coverage and brain cramp turnovers doesn't reflect well on either the coach or the veteran players.

Isles went from the worst defensive team in the league to the best the next season when Trotz was brought in.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Probably why first round is the most exciting.

2nd round onwards is just a complete bore fest full of clutch and grab hockey. I still watch but I find the entertainment level sags big time.

Yeah I definitely feel this most years. Consistent officiating would go a long way to improving NHL watchability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad