Post-Game Talk: WCSF Game 2: Predators @ Sharkies | 7PM CDT | NBCSN, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Right now the Sharks are just killing it and we're being outmatched. Everyone was watching the Sharks dismantle the Kings and now we're the next team they're rolling over. We can point fingers and try and put the blame on certain guys but I just see us playing fairly well and getting beaten by a better team that takes advantage of our mistakes. They remind me a lot of the 2012 Kings to this point.

You really think they are "rolling over us"? I guess we are watching two different games.

In game one, we had a 1-0 lead in the third period, and were down 3-2 with two minutes left.

In game two, it was a 1-1 game with 4 minutes left. We controlled play for much of the game and outshot them 39-25.

You classify that as them rolling over us?? Or that we are overmatched? Even taking my gold colored glasses off, I don’t see how anyone can come to that conclusion. I get that we are down 2-0 but those were two close, hard fought games- no way they dominated us.

Getting rolled over to me is blown out and dominated where you were never in the game. That was not even close to being the case in either of those games.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
You really think they are "rolling over us"? I guess we are watching two different games.

In game one, we had a 1-0 lead in the third period, and were down 3-2 with two minutes left.

In game two, it was a 1-1 game with 4 minutes left. We controlled play for much of the game and outshot them 39-25.

You classify that as them rolling over us?? Or that we are overmatched? Even taking my gold colored glasses off, I don’t see how anyone can come to that conclusion. I get that we are down 2-0 but those were two close, hard fought games- no way they dominated us.

Getting rolled over to me is blown out and dominated where you were never in the game. That was not even close to being the case in either of those games.

I think the scores would be more lopsided if Rinne wasn't playing out of his mind. The number of quality saves he has had to make vastly outnumber the quality chances our "offense" has generated.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
All their forwards at every position are literally better than ours minus a few which can be argued. They are quite simply, top-to-bottom, a better team than us.

Hertl > Jarnkrok
Thornton > Johansen
Pavelski > Neal

Forsberg > Donskoi
Couture > Ribiero
Ward > Smith

Wilson > Nieto
Marleau > Fisher
Karlsson > Arvidsson

Spaling > Salomaki
Tierney > Gaustad
Wingels > Sissons/Bass/Nystrom

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I think the scores would be more lopsided if Rinne wasn't playing out of his mind. The number of quality saves he has had to make vastly outnumber the quality chances our "offense" has generated.

Rinne is playing great- no argument there, but so is Jones. I still think people are underestimating how well we have played. Here are some numbers from game 2 from war on ice:

(1) During 5-on-5 play Nashville posted a Corsi For of 58 while San Jose managed just a 52.

(2) The Preds also out shot the Shark by a count of 28-17 during 5-on-5 play

(3) Preds and Sharks each had 22 scoring chances.

(4) Sharks had 7 "high danger" scoring chances. Preds had 6.

I would say that is pretty dang even in every category, and we have been the better team 5 on 5, much like the Anaheim series.

Again, just to be clear- I realize we are down 2-0 and SJ has a great team. But they absolutely have not dominated us on the ice in these two games.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Josi is starting to frustrate me with how, when he has the goalie and defenders out of position (particularly on the powerplay), he stops the puck, lets them all get into position, then winds up and fires the puck, which gets blocked or stopped, predictably. He's had at least one such glorious opportunity in each of the last two games and has squandered each. I understand that a screen can be useful, but opportunities like he's had to fire the puck on an out-of-position goalie are rare and he needs to start one-timing a shot or pass to take advantage. If he absolutely has to one-time the puck, at least fake the shot (so that the shot blockers slide out of the way) and/or change the angle. What he's doing now makes it so much easier for the shot blockers and goalies to anticipate and stop the shot that comes.

Forsberg is also frustrating me, but it's nothing new, since he's always been a little frustrating. He's always trying to dangle players, even when that's exactly the last thing that he should be doing. He did it frequently during 3-on-3 OT in the regular season and I've seen him do it on the powerplay this postseason. Just as the team is trying to get set up on the powerplay, Forsberg will try to stickhandle in a phone booth to beat his man 1-on-1, will often lose the puck and the whole powerplay unit has to retreat to their zone or the neutral zone and start all over again. I'm still waiting for these coaches to get it into his head that there are times to be cute and times when not to be cute.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Forsberg is also frustrating me, but it's nothing new, since he's always been a little frustrating. He's always trying to dangle players, even when that's exactly the last thing that he should be doing. He did it frequently during 3-on-3 OT in the regular season and I've seen him do it on the powerplay this postseason. Just as the team is trying to get set up on the powerplay, Forsberg will try to stickhandle in a phone booth to beat his man 1-on-1, will often lose the puck and the whole powerplay unit has to retreat to their zone or the neutral zone and start all over again. I'm still waiting for these coaches to get it into his head that there are times to be cute and times when not to be cute.
It's hard to "coach" this out of players like him. To them it's always time to dangle someone in the offensive zone and if you try to change that you could very well kill his confidence and shut down the creativity. We have the benefit of looking at the failures in hind sight and say, "what was he thinking?" but when it works we put it on a highlight reel.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It's hard to "coach" this out of players like him. To them it's always time to dangle someone in the offensive zone and if you try to change that you could very well kill his confidence and shut down the creativity. We have the benefit of looking at the failures in hind sight and say, "what was he thinking?" but when it works we put it on a highlight reel.

All I will say to this discussion is this- man, this board is a tough crowd to please.

We lose a couple of hard fought road playoff games and now its Weber, Josi, and Forsberg in the crosshairs.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Well, I cringe while he's doing it, so it's not hindsight for me. I agree, though, that you want to be careful with a young stud like him. Fear of draining his creativity is what I hope the reason is, not just failure to coach. I hope that, eventually, they ween him away from that sort of thing in certain situations. All creative players have to go through this. Even the most dynamic guys, like Kane, learn when to be creative and when to play things more safely.

All I will say to this discussion is this- man, this board is a tough crowd to please.

We lose a couple of hard fought road playoff games and now its Weber, Josi, and Forsberg in the crosshairs.

Pointing out a few things that we think that the stars are doing wrong is not putting them "in the crosshairs." There's no need to hyperbolize. Besides, recall one of your posts from Round 1:

drwpreds said:
Like most everyone else on here, I am pretty pessimistic about this series now. More than likely, we have blown a golden opportunity. Losing 2 straight home games is not really that unusual and usually isn’t the end of the world. But the way we lost them is disheartening and IS unusual for playoff games. Outscored 7-1. 1 goal scored in two games. Never having the lead at any point in the two games. That is downright ugly stuff. More than anything I feel bad for the fans (myself included) who had to sit through 2 games, about 5 hours of hockey- and had maybe 10 or 15 minutes of it in which they had something to cheer about. If we lose Saturday, it is going to be a tough task for the fans to get up for that Game 6. Very tough.

So, like most on here, I am not confident at all, and can easily see us losing in 6.

That was when the last series was tied at 2-2. Tough crowd, indeed ;).

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't know what game some of you are watching.....

Weber not being physical? He's been crushing guys.

and not as good as Ellis? Ellis has been so bad defensively in this series it's not even funny. Ekholm has had a ton of brain farts, and bad changes that led to breakaways.

To me, our weakest players have been Jarnkrok, Ribeiro, Arvidsson, Fisher, Salomaki and Sissons. Defensively, Ellis has been by far the slowest and out of position the most.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Well, I cringe while he's doing it, so it's not hindsight for me. I agree, though, that you want to be careful with a young stud like him. Fear of draining his creativity is what I hope the reason is, not just failure to coach. I hope that, eventually, they ween him away from that sort of thing in certain situations. All creative players have to go through this. Even the most dynamic guys, like Kane, learn when to be creative and when to play things more safely.

Pointing out a few things that we think that the stars are doing wrong is not putting them "in the crosshairs." There's no need to hyperbolize. Besides, recall one of your posts from Round 1:

That was when the last series was tied at 2-2. Tough crowd, indeed ;).

First, it is a lot more than just pointing out a “few thingsâ€- I am not talking about just the talk about Forsberg “dangling†too much. Read the game 2 GDT- I am not saying they (or anyone) is above criticism, but people are going way overboard with with it on Weber, Josi and Forsberg. Just people overreacting on here as usual.

And as far as the part of one of my posts that you quoted: you conveniently only quoted part of my post- I also went on to state that the series was most definitely still up for grabs. But yes, after those two blowout home losses I was pessimistic. If you consistently read my posts there is absolutely no way you can label me as being a doom and gloomer or part of a “tough crowd to pleaseâ€. No way.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Here everyone has to have a whipping boy. Deserved or not, there are plenty of guys that are not playing aggressive playoff hockey. And im not sure anyone would have seen Ekholm tied for the lead in goals for the playoffs. Rinne even at .915 has kept this team in most games before getting worn down late and giving up the goal that crushed the Preds throat. If this team does not score 3 goals in a polayoiff game they have little chance to get a W. The three times they did against the Ducks they pulled it off. The problem is after 9 games they have a total of 18 goals and that is not good enough. Yeah sure they won game 7 2-1. Rinne has been the best player on the ice in the playoffs for this team this year. They have some good players who are not taking the team on there back and willing them to win. RJ, Neal, Forsberg should be those guys. But who is this Wilson guy who can not stick his finger up his butt with both hands in reg season yet performs somewhat in the playoffs.

This team has yet to be dangerous against the Sharks. The PP post season 2-29 really really and we thought they were over that hump. The PK is again killing them.

I doubt anyone here was as surprised as me that they got thru the Ducks. But I gave the Ducks too much respect I guess. This is the 3 time the Preds have faced the Sharks in the playoffs and have never won a playoff game in the TANK. I would feel it to be a success if they could win one out there. SOme of us remember playing the SHarks the first time in the playoffs and we were all excited thinking we matched up better against them than Detroit well we did not and still do not.

We can be happy that this team made the playoffs and really happy for a 1st round win but they are still lacking talent to make a deep run. Short on veteran leadership and heavy on young guys with little experience. I have no idea how the rest of the series goes I doubt a comeback winning 4 games but we should be able to win one maybe two.

I will give the team some credit for winning there first game 7 but the Ducks were a train wreck that game. I have lowered my expectations so any win now is a good thing and the extra games in round two assures ownership a couple more million bucks hopefully they will spend wisely and improve this team into one that can make a deep run.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
First, it is a lot more than just pointing out a “few things”- I am not talking about just the talk about Forsberg “dangling” too much. Read the game 2 GDT- I am not saying they (or anyone) is above criticism, but people are going way overboard with with it on Weber, Josi and Forsberg. Just people overreacting on here as usual.

You're welcome to your opinion, but don't expect me to buy that it wasn't largely directed at me when my post was the only critical post in this thread since your last post and you quoted the person who quoted me. You shouldn't clearly lump me in with the others and then act like you weren't necessarily doing that after I take exception to it.

drwpreds said:
And as far as the part of one of my posts that you quoted: you conveniently only quoted part of my post- I also went on to state that the series was most definitely still up for grabs. But yes, after those two blowout home losses I was pessimistic. If you consistently read my posts there is absolutely no way you can label me as being a doom and gloomer or part of a “tough crowd to please”. No way.

I'm not the one doing that labeling. "Tough crowd to please" were your words. The point is: if you think that it's unfair to take your pessimism out of context, then it's unfair to lump others into categories based on a few comments, as well.

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Yeah, unfortunately their regular season home record was the worst in the league and their road record is best in the league, better than all but the Caps home record. Feel like we missed a real chance to at least split in Jan Jose.

But to steal from 303 .. Hockey is a funny game, anything can happen. So we can win 4 of 5.

Go Preds

hockey is funny that way.

we are down 0-2, but with literally like two different bounces, could be up 2-0. The Sharks are not outclassing us, they are out lucking us, and at some point, that will change and draw even.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
You're welcome to your opinion, but don't expect me to buy that it wasn't largely directed at me when my post was the only critical post in this thread since your last post and you quoted the person who quoted me. You shouldn't clearly lump me in with the others and then act like you weren't necessarily doing that after I take exception to it.

I shouldn't have quoted you- that is my bad. I just used yours as context for my post. My post absolutely was not directed just to you. Again, my bad...

ThisIsDream

Mar 7, 2016
Bay Area
Sharks fan here. Just wanna say that this has been a great series. Much closer than the LA Kings serious so that is saying something. Seems like you guys are forgetting that they have been on the road for almost a week and that they are playing two heavy weight Pacific teams that can really wear teams down.

Should be a great rest of the series though! So far, every game has been very close!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Rinne is playing great- no argument there, but so is Jones. I still think people are underestimating how well we have played. Here are some numbers from game 2 from war on ice:

(1) During 5-on-5 play Nashville posted a Corsi For of 58 while San Jose managed just a 52.

(2) The Preds also out shot the Shark by a count of 28-17 during 5-on-5 play

(3) Preds and Sharks each had 22 scoring chances.

(4) Sharks had 7 "high danger" scoring chances. Preds had 6.

I would say that is pretty dang even in every category, and we have been the better team 5 on 5, much like the Anaheim series.

Again, just to be clear- I realize we are down 2-0 and SJ has a great team. But they absolutely have not dominated us on the ice in these two games.

Thanks for the stats. They pretty much confirm my impression of a very evenly played series. The Preds are due for a sharp uptick in PP productivity and shooting percentages as well.

The team has nothing to be ashamed of. Overall, the intensity level has been fine. There's just no getting around lack of finish. Finish or finis for the Preds tonite.

Go Preds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark