Post-Game Talk: WCQF - (WC1) Nashville Predators vs. (P1) Anaheim Ducks - Series Talk (Preds win 4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think we see Hodgson in this series as the 3rd line RW.

I'd like to have Stalberg in our lineup. He was solid in the last year's playoffs, has won the Cup and quite frankly, he wasn't even that bad. I think we should've bought out Nystrom. Stalberg brings grit, PK, speed and can make some plays whereas Nystrom is a constant liability for the team. I think they kept him only because he's a great locker room guy. Yes, Stalberg's contract was horrible but it was only a million more than Nystrom's and he at least had talent to live up to his payroll. He wouldn't have been the burden that Nystrom is for us now, and next season. I don't think Stalberg ever got a decent shot with us.

Stalberg this season in the 4th line of Rangers: 9g, 11a, +6
When he was with us: 95 games, 10g, 18a, -14. Playoffs: 1g, 2a, +1

Nystrom with us: 185 games, 29g, 11a, -31. No playoff appearences.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Stalberg just never clicked here. He had his shot with a lot of different combinations and just never quite sparked with any of them. I wouldn't argue that just because he was on a Stanley cup winning team gives him added credibility. Chemistry just wasn't there.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Stalberg just never clicked here. He had his shot with a lot of different combinations and just never quite sparked with any of them. I wouldn't argue that just because he was on a Stanley cup winning team gives him added credibility. Chemistry just wasn't there.
I was trying to make my own point but this pretty much covers it.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
We've got to stay out of the box. We need to be smart and nasty physically. I think this team is better at this than previous Preds teams.
If rinne sees beach balls we are good. But rinne needs to not get too involved in the pushing in front of him. I've noticed that he is more active in this area this year and I'm not sure it's a good thing. I wonder if it distracts him.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The Period I referred to is march 14th thru March 28th 14 days. 7 games 7 wins in that period.
The 6 games after this period the team won two.
The games from March 1 to the 14th 6 games 3 wins 3 losses So yes it was in the two week period where the team won 7 games and solidified there playoff position. This was also the longest winning streak of the year for the team. It also includes the 5 game stretch where Forsberg and Smith were over 2 points a game for those 5 and Riberio was 1.6 points per game as well. I did look it back up to check myself and yes this is the period I referred to. This is also the period that held the team in as a .500 hockey team. In the end the team had 41 wins and 41 losses.

I guess I should have explained further about the links I provided. What I was referring to was the odds to win the cup. There is however a CBS article out there that ranks the 16 teams offensive players and the Preds are 10th in that ranking. If you look you will also find not one ESPN talking heads predicted the Preds win no more than 2 games but non predicted a sweep either. TSN projects Forsberg will lead the Preds in point in playoffs with 6 Johanson with 5 followed by Neal Weber and Smith Riberio with 4 Josi and Jarnkrok with 3 Ellis, Fish with 2. TSN ranks Rinne at 14th for starting goaltenders.

There are scads of articles out there but again I have yet to see anyone tipping there hat our way.

So in other words, there are no articles listing us 15 or 16, which is what you stated in your earlier post......

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
There won't be many articles or pundits that predict us to win. We are a wildcard team against the hottest team in the league that won their division.

It's on us to go out and take this series. No one in the locker room is going to cry and whine because people think they are going to lose.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Another reason no one is picking us is because we're a team with no tangible history of playoff success and we usually play teams that do. No one wants to go out on a limb and pick a team like us. Is some of it legitimate? Sure, but "pundits" are generally front runners because they want to be right, so they go chalk on their picks with a few minor "upsets" here and there.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
In case anyone was wondering, the ducks have rolled these lines, albeit they are a little more banged up than us. And I have to admit, I could think of 14 other teams to play 1st, but when I write it down and look at it, I am more optimistic

McGinn-Getzlaf-Perry
Silfverburg-Kesler-Cogliano
Chris Wagner-Nate Thompson-Ryan Garbutt
Chris Stewart-Horcoff-Santorelli
injured-Rackell, Pirri, Perron
others-Nick Ritchie, Sgarbossa

Defense-
Josh Manson-Hampus Lindholm
Cam Fowler-Simon Despres
Clayton Stoner-Sami Vatanan
others/injured-Holzer, Bieksa, Shea Theodore if they bring him back up

We stay out of the box we should own them 5v5 and in particular their 3rd line and 4th lines that will have to play 20 mins a night in some form or fashion

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Let's hope the Ducks won't get help from their injury reserve in this series. Especially in the beginning.

Apr. 1.: Perron is 2-4 wks
Rakell will be back for game 1
I'd also think Pirri will be back for game 1
Bieksa will be ready for game 1

Our hope clings on Rinne.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
In case anyone was wondering, the ducks have rolled these lines, albeit they are a little more banged up than us. And I have to admit, I could think of 14 other teams to play 1st, but when I write it down and look at it, I am more optimistic

McGinn-Getzlaf-Perry
Silfverburg-Kesler-Cogliano
Chris Wagner-Nate Thompson-Ryan Garbutt
Chris Stewart-Horcoff-Santorelli
injured-Rackell, Pirri, Perron
others-Nick Ritchie, Sgarbossa

Defense-
Josh Manson-Hampus Lindholm
Cam Fowler-Simon Despres
Clayton Stoner-Sami Vatanan
others/injured-Holzer, Bieksa, Shea Theodore if they bring him back up

We stay out of the box we should own them 5v5 and in particular their 3rd line and 4th lines that will have to play 20 mins a night in some form or fashion

If everyone is ready game 1, which they've said will be the case, you'll see these lines most likely...

Perron-Getzlaf-Pirri/Stewart
McGinn-Rakell-Perry
Cogliano-Kesler-Silverberg
Garbutt-Thompson-Horcoff

Santorelli and Stewart/Pirri would be the first ones in if needed.

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Bieksa
Despres-Vatanen

If Bieksa is still out, Despres slides up to Fowler's right and Stoner plays on the 3rd pairing with Vatanen.

Perry and Getzlaf have been split up most of the year which is a huge advantage now because McGinn, Rakell, Perry, Kesler, and Silfverberg are all 20+ goal scorers and none of them are on Getzlaf's line. It's a pick your poison type scenario with opposing match ups.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
No one told Chicago that last year :(

Yeah, but Chicago was lucky enough to have Darling come in to stop the bleeding, play lights out and then, just like the movie script was written, have Crawford ride back in on his white horse to save the day and play well the rest of the way to the cup.

I'm talking about a team getting poor goaltending and not being able to stop the bleeding. Don't know of too many teams who fit that description that make it very far.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Statistically the Ducks look great. GAA is awesome. PP/PK are awesome.

They also are in a stupid bad division with really only one good team.

They also have all the momentum and have been playing great hockey for quite some time.

Our top two lines have to play well. The defense needs to play well. Rinne has to stop routine shots, no freebies from the blueline or off angle.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

They also have all the momentum and have been playing great hockey for quite some time.

Our top two lines have to play well. The defense needs to play well. Rinne has to stop routine shots, no freebies from the blueline or off angle.

That is a good point that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. Not taking anything away from the Ducks, but all of their impressive team stats would take a hit if they had played in the Central like we had to.......

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN

Agreed. Secondary scoring might just be as important though.
Curious to see which Colin Wilson shows up.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yeah, but Chicago was lucky enough to have Darling come in to stop the bleeding, play lights out and then, just like the movie script was written, have Crawford ride back in on his white horse to save the day and play well the rest of the way to the cup.

I'm talking about a team getting poor goaltending and not being able to stop the bleeding. Don't know of too many teams who fit that description that make it very far.

Not to mention Chicago paid off those refs.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
If everyone is ready game 1, which they've said will be the case, you'll see these lines most likely...

Perron-Getzlaf-Pirri/Stewart
McGinn-Rakell-Perry
Cogliano-Kesler-Silverberg
Garbutt-Thompson-Horcoff

Santorelli and Stewart/Pirri would be the first ones in if needed.

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Bieksa
Despres-Vatanen

If Bieksa is still out, Despres slides up to Fowler's right and Stoner plays on the 3rd pairing with Vatanen.

Perry and Getzlaf have been split up most of the year which is a huge advantage now because McGinn, Rakell, Perry, Kesler, and Silfverberg are all 20+ goal scorers and none of them are on Getzlaf's line. It's a pick your poison type scenario with opposing match ups.

Not really.

http://leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/anaheim-ducks/?team=anaheim-ducks&strength=EV&gametype=ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad