Post-Game Talk: WCQF - (WC1) Nashville Predators vs. (P1) Anaheim Ducks - Series Talk (Preds win 4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think we would have matched up better against LA, and would have preferred to stay away from the only team that has been hotter than us the last few months. That said, we can win this series but the guys have got to stay calm and don't retaliate against the dirty BS that is coming from Perry, Getzlaf, and Kessler.

Secondary to that, if you start getting under their skin you gotta go for it because once they come unhinged they fall apart like a cheap basket.

Play smart hockey, keep the game close and then see what happens. If we start trying to score 5 goals a night this is going to be a short series.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Man the old fans.predators.com boards were downright unbearable during the 2011 Ducks series ... Their fans were tough to bear LOL

Fully expect the same thing, and if we go down 2-0 out there some of our optimistic guys will get scorched.

Im trying to be a realistic as I can and I have no ill will toward those in the media giving this team no love but they may just be right.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/
http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/stanley-cup-futures
http://www.thespread.com/odds-managernhl-hockey-futures

There are others as well I saw one that had the Preds ranked 12th of the 16 but most all of the rest were 15 or 16. We are against a team that has rolled into the playoffs playing well. While the Preds had a hot two week streak while the rest of the teams around them melted the Preds cooled off the last what 10 days of the season. Im not sure the Preds have another gear to hit like most playoff teams do but I do know this like many others have said if Rinne is not hot the Preds are cooked. Specials teams is going to be a killer as well. We have a handful of guys who by reason of age or brainfart can not stay out of the box. I watched the Ducks close the last 20 games as bad as I dispise them they have the most potent PP in the league. A remarkable feat after downright not being able to score for about the first 12 games of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Well we are wild card #1 (roughly #7 of 8 under the old seeding), so I would expect us to be around #13 or #14 of the 16 teams in the playoffs for most people. I think we could beat up on a few of the higher EC teams, but we are just about the 7th best team in the West to me. SJ is the only team you could argue we could leap above, but I actually have SJ winning the Cup in my challenge pool so I will not be making that argument (dark horse pick obviously). I'm not sure why anyone should be giving a 96 point qualifying team that much love candidly. My heart says we win a close one in 6 or 7, but my head says our playoff trip ends in the first round.

External respect comes from success in the playoffs. We haven't had it simply put. Knock off ANA, take out the winner of LA/SJ, make the WCF, and people may change their tune.

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Well we are wild card #1 (roughly #7 of 8 under the old seeding), so I would expect us to be around #13 or #14 of the 16 teams in the playoffs for most people. I think we could beat up on a few of the higher EC teams, but we are just about the 7th best team in the West to me. SJ is the only team you could argue we could leap above, but I actually have SJ winning the Cup in my challenge pool so I will not be making that argument (dark horse pick obviously). I'm not sure why anyone should be giving a 96 point qualifying team that much love candidly. My heart says we win a close one in 6 or 7, but my head says our playoff trip ends in the first round.

External respect comes from success in the playoffs. We haven't had it simply put. Knock off ANA, take out the winner of LA/SJ, make the WCF, and people may change their tune.
I think a lot of the feeling of being better than that comes from the fact that they were so bad in 3v3 OT which has nothing to do with playoff hockey. Just playing .500 hockey in OT would mean more points than the Pacific Division winner.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I just hope we give a good show. if rinne plays well we can beat anyone. If he doesn't, we will get manhandled.

but it's the playoffs. anything can and does happen. I remain fully convinced that if you played the exact same matchups again after this ones over 5 more times you would probably have 5 different winners. that's the way it is in short series hockey, whoever gets red hot and catches puck luck can win any series.

Hoooch

Jul 14, 2011
Irvine
Ducks fan coming in peace. I'm very excited for this series. Think it might be the best of the first round. Good luck to you, and I'm sorry in advance for anything Perry, Getzlaf, Garbutt, Kesler, Stewart, or McGinn do.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Ducks fan coming in peace. I'm very excited for this series. Think it might be the best of the first round. Good luck to you, and I'm sorry in advance for anything Perry, Getzlaf, Garbutt, Kesler, Stewart, or McGinn do.

Agreed. I think it'll be a very entertaining series that can go either way.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
My friend is hosting a watch party at his house on Friday and is cooking duck for dinner. I'm not sure if I want that to become a tradition or not.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
My friend is hosting a watch party at his house on Friday and is cooking duck for dinner. I'm not sure if I want that to become a tradition or not.

chinese-food.gif

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

****. I forgot about Garbutt and McGinn.

Goddamn I hate Anaheim

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
This is the matchup that I wanted, not because it would be any easier but because I know what kind of hate is going to be boiling over after about 10 minutes of game play.

Gonna be a heck of a series.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This is the matchup that I wanted, not because it would be any easier but because I know what kind of hate is going to be boiling over after about 10 minutes of game play.

Gonna be a heck of a series.

You have got that right. That is the reason I think Jarnkrok and Arvidsson will both be carried off on stretchers. The Ducks have even more nasty on that team than they did in our last outing in the playoffs with them. And a dollar to a doughnut they will draw Neal and Riberio into a mental breakdown game one. Who do we have as a agitator now????? If this happens the Ducks will be on the PP a lot and they are lethal.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
No time for weak feeble minds. Just win! No excuses! Go Preds!

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Fully expect the same thing, and if we go down 2-0 out there some of our optimistic guys will get scorched.

Im trying to be a realistic as I can and I have no ill will toward those in the media giving this team no love but they may just be right.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/
http://www.thespread.com/odds-managernhl-hockey-futures

There are others as well I saw one that had the Preds ranked 12th of the 16 but most all of the rest were 15 or 16. We are against a team that has rolled into the playoffs playing well. While the Preds had a hot two week streak while the rest of the teams around them melted the Preds cooled off the last what 10 days of the season. Im not sure the Preds have another gear to hit like most playoff teams do but I do know this like many others have said if Rinne is not hot the Preds are cooked. Specials teams is going to be a killer as well. We have a handful of guys who by reason of age or brainfart can not stay out of the box. I watched the Ducks close the last 20 games as bad as I dispise them they have the most potent PP in the league. A remarkable feat after downright not being able to score for about the first 12 games of the year.

Two things:

The Preds did not just have a "2 week hot streak"- was a lot longer than that. Look it up.

Can you provide a link to any article that has us 15 or 16 among playoff teams? I read everything I can get my hands on and I have not seen one mention of us ranked dead last.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
All I ask is that the team give it their all/give their 100 percent. Leave everything on the ice.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Two things:

The Preds did not just have a "2 week hot streak"- was a lot longer than that. Look it up.

Can you provide a link to any article that has us 15 or 16 among playoff teams? I read everything I can get my hands on and I have not seen one mention of us ranked dead last.

The Period I referred to is march 14th thru March 28th 14 days. 7 games 7 wins in that period.
The 6 games after this period the team won two.
The games from March 1 to the 14th 6 games 3 wins 3 losses So yes it was in the two week period where the team won 7 games and solidified there playoff position. This was also the longest winning streak of the year for the team. It also includes the 5 game stretch where Forsberg and Smith were over 2 points a game for those 5 and Riberio was 1.6 points per game as well. I did look it back up to check myself and yes this is the period I referred to. This is also the period that held the team in as a .500 hockey team. In the end the team had 41 wins and 41 losses.

I guess I should have explained further about the links I provided. What I was referring to was the odds to win the cup. There is however a CBS article out there that ranks the 16 teams offensive players and the Preds are 10th in that ranking. If you look you will also find not one ESPN talking heads predicted the Preds win no more than 2 games but non predicted a sweep either. TSN projects Forsberg will lead the Preds in point in playoffs with 6 Johanson with 5 followed by Neal Weber and Smith Riberio with 4 Josi and Jarnkrok with 3 Ellis, Fish with 2. TSN ranks Rinne at 14th for starting goaltenders.

There are scads of articles out there but again I have yet to see anyone tipping there hat our way.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
This thread has a serious lack of SOB and our last series with the ducks. :naughty: (even though he's now with the ducks ahl team)

11wbhp5_jpg.gif

Also you guys, the Hockey News picked the Ducks to win the Cup over the Caps. So, we're cool, we got this!
(To be fair, they did pick chi to win last year, but they can't be right 2 years in a row right?)

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
and of course we get an 830 game on a weeknight at home...

are we even close to selling out the first two games?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I hate to say this, but we are playing against the most physical in team in the NHL and I'd like to have at least one of Goose or Nystrom in our lineup. Bump Salomaki, Sissons or Watson on the 3rd line, send Arvy down and roll a 4th line of 24-28-20/51/10. Also, Jax needs to be there as well as Bitetto. Those two can bring physicality and grit to our lineup. Granberg isn't a bad choice, either.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Im not sure the Preds have another gear to hit like most playoff teams do but I do know this like many others have said if Rinne is not hot the Preds are cooked.

True. But also just as true of every team in the playoffs. You don't win playoff games with crappy goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad