Post-Game Talk: WCQF - (WC1) Nashville Predators vs. (P1) Anaheim Ducks - Series Talk (Preds win 4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
snoopy-dance.gif

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
We need a lot more offense. 2 goal games aren't going to cut it vs. the Sharks.

While I agree, I thought the same thing going into the series against the Ducks. We were a 3-2 team all season in a 3-2 league, but the Ducks were just a little better than us (on paper and the stats sheet) in that department so we had to find more offense and stop their big guns.

This only being our third second round appearance makes it easier to think back to the other opportunities. The Sharks are surely not a team to overlook even the slightest bit, but I'm glad we went through a buzz saw first round. When we beat Anaheim in 2011 I expected it. Honestly, I expected to beat them more soundly than we did. They were basically a one line offense without anything else that was all that impressive. Got through the series, and then ran into a solid Canucks team whom we gave fits but I don't think many legitimately expected the Preds to pull it out.

Then, Detroit. Again, I expected the Preds to win that series going in. Detroit wasn't the same ol' Detroit team. That one seemed easier than the Ducks series a year earlier even, but then we ran into a Coyotes team with a hot goalie, our offense died up accordingly and the rest is history. That was the only time since the last time we faced the Sharks that the team which eliminated Nashville didn't go on to play for the Cup.

This year no one expected us to win outside of some Preds fans, some people who thought the Ducks were being overrated and, of course, the team itself. It took 7 games compete with some heartbreaking losses (three in a row actually) and 4 hard fought wins. It won't make facing the Sharks any easier, but the confidence boost alone, especially for a guy like Rinne, is major. From where I sit, the Preds are in their best position yet to advance. The survived a trial by fire before moving on. That is something I expect the team to look back at when they need an extra spark of confidence.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Winning two elimination games after losing three straight will be a huge confidence boost. Especially for Pekka, who said that he had to play better after game 5, then went out and did it!

We have two guys on the team that have all-star talent but fragile confidence: Pekka and Wilson. Both are playing confident right now which bodes well for the Preds moving forward.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
While I agree, I thought the same thing going into the series against the Ducks. We were a 3-2 team all season in a 3-2 league, but the Ducks were just a little better than us (on paper and the stats sheet) in that department so we had to find more offense and stop their big guns.

This only being our third second round appearance makes it easier to think back to the other opportunities. The Sharks are surely not a team to overlook even the slightest bit, but I'm glad we went through a buzz saw first round. When we beat Anaheim in 2011 I expected it. Honestly, I expected to beat them more soundly than we did. They were basically a one line offense without anything else that was all that impressive. Got through the series, and then ran into a solid Canucks team whom we gave fits but I don't think many legitimately expected the Preds to pull it out.

Then, Detroit. Again, I expected the Preds to win that series going in. Detroit wasn't the same ol' Detroit team. That one seemed easier than the Ducks series a year earlier even, but then we ran into a Coyotes team with a hot goalie, our offense died up accordingly and the rest is history. That was the only time since the last time we faced the Sharks that the team which eliminated Nashville didn't go on to play for the Cup.

This year no one expected us to win outside of some Preds fans, some people who thought the Ducks were being overrated and, of course, the team itself. It took 7 games compete with some heartbreaking losses (three in a row actually) and 4 hard fought wins. It won't make facing the Sharks any easier, but the confidence boost alone, especially for a guy like Rinne, is major. From where I sit, the Preds are in their best position yet to advance. The survived a trial by fire before moving on. That is something I expect the team to look back at when they need an extra spark of confidence.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I think people are retroactively underestimating that Detroit team that we knocked out in 5. Take a look at their roster- it was still pretty dang talented. They were a 102 point team. And the very next year they knocked out Anaheim and had a 3-1 series lead on the Blackhawks before losing in 7. Not saying they were the Blackhawks or Kings but that was still a very impressive series win by us.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Ill put this in this thread so it can be locked away shortly and not spark a lot of blowback

I get it that people like me who expressed doubt and frustration and a lack of faith should be served plenty of crow

but..

this team has given us numerous examples of playoff heartache and disappointment. hell its the reason we changed coaches in the first place. many years I was the one telling the naysayers to keep their chins up and that we would pull out a win, only to be crushed.

So I think our doubt was understandable, even if you didnt like it.

But as I have also said, ive never been so happy to be wrong, and hope to eat crow all the way to a parade...

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Ill put this in this thread so it can be locked away shortly and not spark a lot of blowback

I get it that people like me who expressed doubt and frustration and a lack of faith should be served plenty of crow

but..

this team has given us numerous examples of playoff heartache and disappointment. hell its the reason we changed coaches in the first place. many years I was the one telling the naysayers to keep their chins up and that we would pull out a win, only to be crushed.

But as I have also said, ive never been so happy to be wrong, and hope to eat crow all the way to a parade...
Sometimes you have to step away from the computer until you calm down. Kinda like drunk texting....No Mad Messageboarding

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Sometimes you have to step away from the computer until you calm down. Kinda like drunk texting....No Mad Messageboarding

I would have had to step away for days then LOL...

Agree if I had waited a bit probably wouldnt have started a thread but would have still made the same point in another thread even after I was calm.

Pekka Chu

Apr 28, 2016
All I can say is a hell of a game last night in Anaheim by the Preds. It was so exciting and my Big Sister and I were up so late after the game celebrating the win that my parents let us stay home from school today. Coolest parents awards go out to them today.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I would have had to step away for days then LOL...

Agree if I had waited a bit probably wouldnt have started a thread but would have still made the same point in another thread even after I was calm.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Yeah, ranting would have been overlooked, it's that thread that earned you the crow.:badidea::badidea::teach:

And now you're a :m-dance::m-dance::laugh::laugh:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think it has been pretty well established that some of us wear our emotions on our sleeve and post accordingly. Others retreat into silent mode when things aren't going swimmingly but are chatty when things are going well. Others are always pro Preds whatever the result. After awhile you know who's who. Negative Nellie, Positive Pete, Adz...but with only a few exceptions we're all passionate fans of this team.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Yeah, ranting would have been overlooked, it's that thread that earned you the crow.:badidea::badidea::teach:

And now you're a :m-dance::m-dance::laugh::laugh:

Since I've long been known for negative mojo, I briefly considered the "see my negativity worked" defense but decided it would be easier to just offer up a mea culpa and get back to enjoying the win :booboo: :hockey:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
All I can say is a hell of a game last night in Anaheim by the Preds. It was so exciting and my Big Sister and I were up so late after the game celebrating the win that my parents let us stay home from school today. Coolest parents awards go out to them today.
First, awesome screen name.

Next, welcome to the boards.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I remember Volde from the old forums before the dark days of the sale, and I can attest to his former sunny disposition :nod:

He and I were on the same side of many-a Poile debate.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

but..

This is how I was. I had given up by game 5 and did not watch it and then when I got the final score text my heart sank. I had zero intention of watching game 6 but was glued to my TV by the middle of the 1st period and then cautiously was looking forward to game 7. Now I am just in shock and hoping they can come through vs the Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00