Pre-Game Talk: WCQF: Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Again, we thought the same thing the last two years and we know how those went. LA is a beatable team but they still have players who have been all the way. If Doughty was healthy (and thank God he's not) the conversation in here is likely far more pessimistic.
winnipeg is a much stronger and deeper team last year than the kings are this year IMO. Chicago series the wingers on the oilers were soft and the D couldnt clear the front of the net.

I agree if doughty was playing 28-30 mins it would be a little different but i m fully confident in this oilers team barring smith collapse

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Again, we thought the same thing the last two years and we know how those went. LA is a beatable team but they still have players who have been all the way. If Doughty was healthy (and thank God he's not) the conversation in here is likely far more pessimistic.
they don't have that many of that core left. The ones that are left aren't quite as good as they once were (and that also includes Doughty). We have Keith, who has been all the way too, so if it all about veteran playoff leadership we have that too. I'd think our players' disappointments in recent years will also be an asset. This team will not take anyone lightly, and they are playing their best hockey in the McDavid era by far.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
i picked 5 games because quick will make 40 saves and steal a home game 2-1 but thats ok cause game 5 will be the dagger at home.
The barndoor coming open may occur but its somewhat unlikely. The Kings are around the top shot suppression clubs in the league. On this site you can select for columns.

But the most impressive thing in the way the Kings pressure and play all over the ice is they have a shot differential of +7. As much as any team. They're the ones on average getting 35shots and giving up 28. That said Doughty won't be part of that mix now but they are still getting a lot of shots in games and giving up less.

The Kings won't want to open it up against us, obviously, and the Kings will try to play tight with the puck. If the Oilers can establish the puck with our top two lines we got this. But it won't be easy. If you allow the Kings Ozone pucks a lot they make life hell.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I understand the fear from the past two post-seasons, but let's acknowledge that those were weird post season whether it be the bubble or empty buildings. Prior to these two frustrating season this franchise has been generally successful at winning the first round, especially if they are the home (ie. favoured) team

The Edmonton Oilers have made the playoffs 22 times in their history (23 if you consider the playins as postseason). Only 9 of those times have they not advanced past the first round.

- The first time was their inaugural season as a 16th seed.
- The second time was in their third season where they were favored very heavily (48 point advantage in regular season) . This was only a 5 game series though and 5 games series are more prone to upsets.
- The third time was in the season Gretzky was traded at the hands of Gretzky and the LA Kings who had the home ice advantage, but Edmonton did get up 3-1 before LA stormed back to win in 7.
- The fourth time wasn't until their 20th season and was the start of 4 eliminations in the first round over five season at the hands of Dallas. The closest Edmonton ever was to them in season standings for any of those years was 13 points. One of the seasons the difference was 36 points.
- The eighth time was two years ago in the bubble after they had only played 1 exhibition game in 4 months. Edmonton was heavily favoured but lost. It was also only a 5 game series which is more susceptible to an upset.
- The ninth time was last year where Edmonton while not heavily favored, were certainly favored. The get eliminate in a sweep that was one of the longest if not the longest sweeps ever played after 3 games go to OT and one of which triple OT. It also featured a third period collapse reminiscent of the LA series in 81 in a series tilting game. It also was a series that had no fans in the stands minimizing the home ice advantage effect typically expected.

So 14 times out of 23 they got past the first round including several years where they were actually the underdog/visiting team (1980, 1991, 1992, 1997,1998, 2006).

Only once have they lost a 7 game first series where they were the home team and that series featured no fans.

There isn't a curse or anything leading to the last two seasons exits, it was just the typical upset that every team must experience on occasion during exceptionally weird circumstances for playoff hockey with a coach that maybe didn't have the chops to adjust appropriately in a short series.

My only historical concern is that two of the losses were at the hands of LA with exceptional circumstances in each series leading to the loss, but they also have beaten the Kings 5 times in the other matchups 3 of which were with Gretzky in their lineup.

So don't worry if they lose game 1. Have fun. Enjoy the games as we've waiting so long to get back here and hope that the pain of the last two playoff results serve the motivation required to not let one games bad result carry over to the next.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
winnipeg is a much stronger and deeper team last year than the kings are this year IMO. Chicago series the wingers on the oilers were soft and the D couldnt clear the front of the net.

I agree if doughty was playing 28-30 mins it would be a little different but i m fully confident in this oilers team barring smith collapse
Call me a homer but I think we would have beat Chicago had Larsson been playing. Once Bear was forced into those shutdown minutes the Hawks targeted and exposed him.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Need our superstars to play like superstars. I don't care that LA has Kopitar and Danault or that the officials will swallow the whistle those are just excuses(that some in here are already making before the games have even started). Play through them.

Smith doesn't need to be better than Quick but he does need to not lose the series on his own.

Reactions: PULSATING

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Call me a homer but I think we would have beat Chicago had Larsson been playing. Once Bear was forced into those shutdown minutes the Hawks targeted and exposed him.
that is probably true, it was clear from game 2 on the game plan was to kick the puck to the point and shoot for rebounds and traffic which killed the oilers.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I'm still pessimistic. No words of comfort from other fans will change my mind. I'll start believing this team is for real when they actually win a playoff series. I'm not going to get myself wildly hyped up for nothing.
just say you are a flames fan and go cheer for them lol

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I tend to forget that he was out (and that Klefbom was playing injured). Considering how many goals against were dzone breakdowns with deflections, that was likely a huge factor.

The third period breakdown in Game 3 was everything in that series. Play a good shutdown period there, and Edmonton wins that series, guaranteed. If Larsson is there he may have been able to impact that.

Reactions: CornKicker

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
The barndoor coming open may occur but its somewhat unlikely. The Kings are around the top shot suppression clubs in the league. On this site you can select for columns.

But the most impressive thing in the way the Kings pressure and play all over the ice is they have a shot differential of +7. As much as any team. They're the ones on average getting 35shots and giving up 28. That said Doughty won't be part of that mix now but they are still getting a lot of shots in games and giving up less.

The Kings won't want to open it up against us, obviously, and the Kings will try to play tight with the puck. If the Oilers can establish the puck with our top two lines we got this. But it won't be easy. If you allow the Kings Ozone pucks a lot they make life hell.
100% agree the kings will not open up against us which makes 2 things important. Scoring first - as soon as are up teams have to play differently, once oilers are up by 2 you have a choice: open up and try to come back which allows our team the way its built to attack ie. last avs game, lightning game, preds vegas games. Or your other option is to wait till the last 2 mins to try and pull the goalie and tie it. Neither is a good strategy for playing the oilers.
The other important thing is for the oilers to keep a consistent forecheck on the kings D. they have some great young D guys that can move the puck but they have not had playoff hockey before, attack them over and over and by game 3 they will not be the same players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I understand the fear from the past two post-seasons, but let's acknowledge that those were weird post season whether it be the bubble or empty buildings. Prior to these two frustrating season this franchise has been generally successful at winning the first round, especially if they are the home (ie. favoured) team

The Edmonton Oilers have made the playoffs 22 times in their history (23 if you consider the playins as postseason). Only 9 of those times have they not advanced past the first round.

- The first time was their inaugural season as a 16th seed.
- The second time was in their third season where they were favored very heavily (48 point advantage in regular season) . This was only a 5 game series though and 5 games series are more prone to upsets.
- The third time was in the season Gretzky was traded at the hands of Gretzky and the LA Kings who had the home ice advantage, but Edmonton did get up 3-1 before LA stormed back to win in 7.
- The fourth time wasn't until their 20th season and was the start of 4 eliminations in the first round over five season at the hands of Dallas. The closest Edmonton ever was to them in season standings for any of those years was 13 points. One of the seasons the difference was 36 points.
- The eighth time was two years ago in the bubble after they had only played 1 exhibition game in 4 months. Edmonton was heavily favoured but lost. It was also only a 5 game series which is more susceptible to an upset.
- The ninth time was last year where Edmonton while not heavily favored, were certainly favored. The get eliminate in a sweep that was one of the longest if not the longest sweeps ever played after 3 games go to OT and one of which triple OT. It also featured a third period collapse reminiscent of the LA series in 81 in a series tilting game. It also was a series that had no fans in the stands minimizing the home ice advantage effect typically expected.

So 14 times out of 23 they got past the first round including several years where they were actually the underdog/visiting team (1980, 1991, 1992, 1997,1998, 2006).

Only once have they lost a 7 game first series where they were the home team and that series featured no fans.

There isn't a curse or anything leading to the last two seasons exits, it was just the typical upset that every team must experience on occasion during exceptionally weird circumstances for playoff hockey with a coach that maybe didn't have the chops to adjust appropriately in a short series.

My only historical concern is that two of the losses were at the hands of LA with exceptional circumstances in each series leading to the loss, but they also have beaten the Kings 5 times in the other matchups 3 of which were with Gretzky in their lineup.

So don't worry if they lose game 1. Have fun. Enjoy the games as we've waiting so long to get back here and hope that the pain of the last two playoff results serve the motivation required to not let one games bad result carry over to the next.
Keeping in mind I made the brutal mistake last post season of mocking the Jets futility against us, all time, in the Playoffs, which really has no bearing on the now. I ate huge amounts of dumb humble pie for that, and probably deserved it. While historical reference is interesting, and I like history, it means nothing. The Oilers are playing a team with a handful of player that have won SC's or been in finals. Danault, unsung, was one of the best skater performers in playoffs last season. A glue guy that was playing out of his head. He's been playing there almost all season. Kopitar and Danault are not easy outs as Centers.

Anyway, historically in a sense the matchup is fascinating, and no less because of the Gretzky connection which is always felt, and I think kind of started my own Kings duality. While I alternately hated and hated Wayne being a King, the concept of it fascinated me and I watched a lot. I couldn't turn away. Somehow I've always had more interest in the Kings than most other teams. That of course got elevated in their SC years. I'm also grateful the Kings never won WITH Gretzky, and instead won without him years later.

The Kings beating us in 89 playoffs was a gut punch. We had a 3-1 lead in games and the team just didn't have the heart for it. A year later the Oilers destroyed the Kings on their way to their last SC. So much history with these clubs, just not anytime recently.

Last note that in 1990 it was said that the Oilers were moved to beat the Kings a year after they saw Wayne celebrating that he had beat the Oilers. At the time it didn't sit so well with the Oilers. They felt mixed feelings, and then observed that somehow Gretz didn't have misgivings. That allowed the Oilers to compete against Wayne. To really bring it AGAINST him.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I've been disappointed by this team waaaayyyyyy too many times to get my hopes up for anything.

Fool me once Over and over.....

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Keeping in mind I made the brutal mistake last post season of mocking the Jets futility against us, all time, in the Playoffs, which really has no bearing on the now. I ate huge amounts of dumb humble pie for that, and probably deserved it. While historical reference is interesting, and I like history, it means nothing. The Oilers are playing a team with a handful of player that have won SC's or been in finals. Danault, unsung, was one of the best skater performers in playoffs last season. A glue guy that was playing out of his head. He's been playing there almost all season. Kopitar and Danault are not easy outs as Centers.

Anyway, historically in a sense the matchup is fascinating, and no less because of the Gretzky connection which is always felt, and I think kind of started my own Kings duality. While I alternately hated and hated Wayne being a King, the concept of it fascinated me and I watched a lot. I couldn't turn away. Somehow I've always had more interest in the Kings than most other teams. That of course got elevated in their SC years. I'm also grateful the Kings never won WITH Gretzky, and instead won without him years later.

The Kings beating us in 89 playoffs was a gut punch. We had a 3-1 lead in games and the team just didn't have the heart for it. A year later the Oilers destroyed the Kings on their way to their last SC. So much history with these clubs, just not anytime recently.

Last note that in 1990 it was said that the Oilers were moved to beat the Kings a year after they saw Wayne celebrating that he had beat the Oilers. At the time it didn't sit so well with the Oilers. They felt mixed feelings, and then observed that somehow Gretz didn't have misgivings. That allowed the Oilers to compete against Wayne. To really bring it AGAINST him.
100% agree with everything here. Only brought it up to settle the first round choker label from forming on the franchise. If anything this team has just been bad for the better part of 30 years, but there really isn't a major history of choking once they get to playoff like there is when you look at teams like Toronto (no series win since the salary cap) or Calgary (2 first round wins since 1989).

We just had two bad post-seasons in very strange circumstances. Doesn't mean I think LA will be a cakewalk. I think quite the opposite, but I'm also not overly paranoid and expecting failure because of what happened the last two years.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've been disappointed by this team waaaayyyyyy too many times to get my hopes up for anything.

Fool me once Over and over.....
Copious excuse to link one of my faves. Ian Hunter band W Mick Ronson. One of the best live acts I've seen. NSFW lyrics..

heres the one most people know

Great double live Album btw Trivia note is it was recorded in LA and the band did Commonwealth Stadium on the same tour, which of course I was at.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100% agree with everything here. Only brought it up to settle the first round choker label from forming on the franchise. If anything this team has just been bad for the better part of 30 years, but there really isn't a major history of choking once they get to playoff like there is when you look at teams like Toronto (no series win since the salary cap) or Calgary (2 first round wins since 1989).

We just had two bad post-seasons in very strange circumstances. Doesn't mean I think LA will be a cakewalk. I think quite the opposite, but I'm also not overly paranoid and expecting failure because of what happened the last two years.
100% agreed with this. heh. ;)

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
If I were betting on this, I would bet on the Oilers. Not sure if it takes, 4, 5, 6, or 7 games.

But, here's the thing: I think the entire series might ride on game 1. The Oilers cannot afford to blow game one AGAIN as they did vs. Chicago and Winnipeg. If the Oilers get down, the Kings can grind and grind and play their boring-ass style, depending on the refs to give them three times more PPs (which is inevitable).

As we know, if the Oilers get down and their opponent grinds them and applies a heavy forecheck, the Oilers give it up like a farm girl on prom-night.

Anyway, the Oilers should win. But I'm afraid the Oilers need to win game one.
Just a heads up. Never decide what you are going to bet before you know the odds. The price you get for your bet is the most important thing.

Last year I was on Winnipeg to win the series Oilers. The talent gap between the two teams was way overblown by the media and casual fans. A finnish hockey announcer promised to walk backwards around his hometown Tampere if Winnipeg would win over 2 games that series. The probability of that happening was most likely over 50%, but all people really thought was Oilers are going to dominate for sure, because they won majority of the meetings in regular season. And last year was unicorn when same teams played a lot against each other, so in a normal year people shouldn't really put almost any stock on how the head to head games have gone that year. Very small sample size, there are very different rest situation going to one specific game, games could be months apart etc. Very little useful information to gather from 3-5 games or whatever sprinkled somewhere in 82 game schedule.

What comes to betting this series, I would be open to betting both. Like always. Give me +400 or better and I would bet Kings to win series. Give me -200 or better and I bet the Oilers to win.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Soooooo

Do we rest McDrai for the last 2 games ?

Im sure they could use some rest

Kane - RNH - Yamamoto
Hyman - Mcleod - Pulju
Foegele - Brassard - Kassian
Shore - Ryan - Archibald

We don’t look has horrible without McDrai as we did before

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad