Pre-Game Talk: WCQF: Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Perfect scenario to be honest. 2nd in Division and get the Kings in the first round. Oilers have clearly the better roster, home ice advantage and are in incredible form.

Oilers are ~70% favourites to win the series. Few weeks ago Dom L wrote that Oilers would be 74% against Kings, but I think Dom has been underrating the Kings slightly all year.

McDavid and Draisaitl are getting extra attention of course, but now they have so much more help around them. They aren't the only ones who can create offense anymore. Hyman can hold on to puck for 10+ seconds, Kane is great addition, RNH line has easier match-ups (at least in away games).

Hoping that 97 and 29 pay extra attention to their defensive game when every goal for and against matter more. Try to be as annoying to play against as Kopitar and Danault are going to be.

Oilers in 5 and 6 are the most likeliest scenarios.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
These poll splits are nearly the exact same as before the Wpg series last year. Just an observation.

Until these Oilers prove they can win, I am not sold. Nurse injury, California "officiating", and Smith often losing his game in the playoffs the last couple years have me uncomfortable regardless of opponent.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Technically not eliminated yet. @CupofOil hanging on by a thread with his prediction. ;)
Down to 1% odds now.

1651065841808.png

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Go to back to bed @Cloned it's way too early to make a thread like this! :whatever: The regular season isn't even over! All joking aside, I didn't vote because I have absolutely no earthly idea what the outcome of this series is going to be. If I were to take a wild guess I would say either team wins in 7... but I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Quick, Kopitar and Danault are my biggest worries. Kopitar and Danault can mostly contain our top guys and Quick can catch what they don’t mostly.

It’ll be a series that comes down to depth and if Smith can keep up his play.
This is where if we will really need that 3rd line to take advantage.

Struds has been really pumping up putting JP there so that we can really have a solid 3rd line that can take advantage of LA's 3rd line.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The worst that could happen is that you are wrong. Meanwhile you bring disbelief and negativity energy towards the Oilers. Just believe and who gives a shit if you end up being wrong. Every fan of every team except for one team will be wrong eventually.
It's just... like,.. my opinion man. I don't trust this team, it's just how I feel.

I've enjoyed this run to get into the playoffs but I also enjoyed their runs to get into the previous two playoffs when they played great down the stretch only for them to collapse when it really counts.

On paper, they SHOULD beat L.A., I just have a hard time believing that they will until they prove that they can hold up in a playoff setting against a team that has some key guys that are playoff hardened, Kopitar and Danault in particular are going to be a load for the Oilers to handle. The PTSD from previous playoff failures is strong in me, I can't help it.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's just... like,.. my opinion man. I don't trust this team, it's just how I feel.

I've enjoyed this run to get into the playoffs but I also enjoyed their runs to get into the previous two playoffs when they played great down the stretch only for them to collapse when it really counts.
On paper, they SHOULD beat L.A., I just have a hard time believing that they will until they prove that they can hold up in a playoff setting against a team that has some key guys that are playoff hardened, Kopitar and Danault in particular are going to be a load for the Oilers to handle. The PTSD from previous playoff failures is strong in me, I can't help it.
Mike Smith needs to remain healthy and outduel Quick.
The depth scoring needs to show up.
The team needs to not collapse in third periods again.

After the last two years nobody here should be overconfident.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Mike Smith needs to remain healthy and outduel Quick.
The depth scoring needs to show up.
The team needs to not collapse in third periods again.

After the last two years nobody here should be overconfident.
You are absolutely correct, however this isn't a team coached by Tippett who are hoping for good results. They play the game "the right way" and have been successful because of that. They can't over look the Kings, but the Oilers should feel confident.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You are absolutely correct, however this isn't a team coached by Tippett who are hoping for good results. They play the game "the right way" and have been successful because of that. They can't over look the Kings, but the Oilers should feel confident.
Of course I was well-known for my Tippett hate and he absolutely got his ass spanked the last two years, but I'm wary about how Woodcroft responds to his first ever playoffs. They're playing the right way but they're also going up against a team that has won championships before. It's definitely a huge boon that Doughty won't be there, but Brown/Kopitar know how to drive us crazy. I hope my namesake earns his salary.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Of course I was well-known for my Tippett hate and he absolutely got his ass spanked the last two years, but I'm wary about how Woodcroft responds to his first ever playoffs. They're playing the right way but they're also going up against a team that has won championships before. It's definitely a huge boon that Doughty won't be there, but Brown/Kopitar know how to drive us crazy. I hope my namesake earns his salary.
That's fair, but they won a while ago and those guys aren't the same players they were. And, as you said, no Doughty. The other thing I've noticed with this team, under Woodcroft, they don't seem to have back to back poor outings. That's encouraging as well.

The Kings seem to have gotten by winning close and OT/SO games, the Oilers should be able to find enough offense to win this series, imo. Especially now that they aren't just relying on the PP.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That's fair, but they won a while ago and those guys aren't the same players they were. And, as you said, no Doughty. The other thing I've noticed with this team, under Woodcroft, they don't seem to have back to back poor outings. That's encouraging as well.

The Kings seem to have gotten by winning close and OT/SO games, the Oilers should be able to find enough offense to win this series, imo. Especially now that they aren't just relying on the PP.
I sure hope so. After the last two years I'm not counting on anything. This is a series the Oilers SHOULD win, but nobody should be surprised if they don't.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I cant wait for McDavid to get a penalty when hes wearing Danault as a back pack.

Ref will think hes playing with 2 sticks.
Well, of course. According to the State of California NHL Referee Guide, fouls against McDavid are not only permitted but also highly encouraged. Conversely, an Oiler player that inadvertently breathes on a King player goes immediately to the box.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If I were betting on this, I would bet on the Oilers. Not sure if it takes, 4, 5, 6, or 7 games.

But, here's the thing: I think the entire series might ride on game 1. The Oilers cannot afford to blow game one AGAIN as they did vs. Chicago and Winnipeg. If the Oilers get down, the Kings can grind and grind and play their boring-ass style, depending on the refs to give them three times more PPs (which is inevitable).

As we know, if the Oilers get down and their opponent grinds them and applies a heavy forecheck, the Oilers give it up like a farm girl on prom-night.

Anyway, the Oilers should win. But I'm afraid the Oilers need to win game one.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I sure hope so. After the last two years I'm not counting on anything. This is a series the Oilers SHOULD win, but nobody should be surprised if they don't.
I would be shocked. I don't see any way that LA is better. Well, if we outplay them but still lose somehow, that wouldn't be so shocking because it's a small sample. Also, injuries can take down any team, and we are perhaps more vulnerable than LA is there.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I would be shocked. I don't see any way that LA is better. Well, if we outplay them but still lose somehow, that wouldn't be so shocking because it's a small sample. Also, injuries can take down any team, and we are perhaps more vulnerable than LA is there.
Again, we thought the same thing the last two years and we know how those went. LA is a beatable team but they still have players who have been all the way. If Doughty was healthy (and thank God he's not) the conversation in here is likely far more pessimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00