GDT: WCQF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Nashville Predators | Tue. Apr 23rd | 7:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Great State of Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Lindholm
Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Pls.
Yeah probably agree to do this eventually, but man Lindholm looked good on the third line. Such a mismatch to throw that line out there against the other team’s big line and let Miller own a match up too

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Expect the preds to be more physical this game, but it shouldn't really make a difference, canucks dominated game one.

Aside from ep being underwhelming offensively, he's only got one winger and our depth is clearly better than Nashville.

Pod in for pdg is obvious, keep everything else the same and should see favorable results.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Yeah probably agree to do this eventually, but man Lindholm looked good on the third line. Such a mismatch to throw that line out there against the other team’s big line and let Miller own a match up too
Would also be open to

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Hoglander-Blueger/Suter-Lafferty/Mikheyev

You just can’t leave Pettersson playing “responsible defensively” or whatever people want to cope with.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I wonder if Brunette lets him rush the puck more like he’s used to since the Canucks adjusted to the stretch pass

I don’t know if it was just Stastney but I noticed he was pinching aggressively down low for a D. To the point that more than once their forward wasn’t making the exchange fast enough because he pinched towards the mass of players in front of the net.

Reactions: Nucker101

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Pettersson was terrible to end the season. No fairly tale flipping the switch. Canucks will probably have to tough it out with his current play and that doesn't bode well for the teams cup hopes

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Pettersson was terrible to end the season. No fairly tale flipping the switch. Canucks will probably have to tough it out with his current play and that doesn't bode well for the teams cup hopes
The thing with Pettersson is that he still has game breaking skill. He's not a guy that has to drive the play, have an incredible work ethic, to succeed. He can make a difference with only a few touches of the puck.

Gaborik on the Wild is, stylistically, a poor comparison, but is similar in what I am saying. In tight scoring games a player like Pettersson can make a huge difference with just one touch of the puck.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Last game I wondered if any of them came off the ice with a bruise. For all that the NHL recorded hits, there didn't seem to very many that were impacts, more crazes. Zadorov got a couple, Myers one or two.
Where has Hoglander's game gone? He was fast and tenacious for most of the year.

Last game the whole team looked like they were dumbing it down.

They won, both teams looked .... well, IMO, the game looked like an easy season game, not a real season game. It look like most were taking it easy physically.

Sure there were occasions when a player went to the ice but how many were from being knocked over/down.

I want to see some more bruises. Hits with meaning if they are going to try to hit, not these loud sounding impacts with the boards as they are grazed. Last game the media guys said the Canucks had 20 hits in the first period, great but only 19 the rest of the game, not great. Vegas/Washington had over 100 hits in a period many of the impactful kind. Have ramp it up.

The Preds were embarrassed with their game, they have a ton of playoff veterans I think this game they push the pedal down and hit with meaning. The Canucks need to do that too.

It's the real season, games should be ticking up in intensity.

Demko wins this one but there is more meaningful contact, Zadorov as the telephone man, he reaches out and touches someone. (That's an old telephone commercial FYI)

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Petey looks like hes a bit banged up. He did throw a couple hits last night, but something looks off there. Needs to start shooting, wonder if his wrist is bugging him.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I Thought Petey was excellent defensively and if Lafferty had passed to him in the first he would ve had a goal as well.
Absolutely. If people have actually been watching games they'll know that Pettey has had a huge impact on the game despite not scoring. He's generated chances for others despite them not going in, but his rock solid positioning and defence is what makes him so great. He's also improved in the face-off circle, leads the team in takeaways and does not give the puck away as much as JT and Quinn. I'm not saying we didn't have that in the Sedins, but I feel much more comfortable in our zone when Pettey's on the ice and his willingness to throw the body around from time-to-time as well.

The goals will come, but you can't blame the guy for having an injured wrist. He's been the cornerstone of this franchise for a long time.

Reactions: Bgav

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
One of the underrated things that happened in game 1 was the performance of our PK. It must have been a huge confidence boost to know that they can shut down the Preds' PP. 5v5 is our bread and butter and our PP is still a work in progress. But if we can blunt the 2nd best PP since the all star break, it puts us in the driver's seat for the remainder of the series.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The thing with Pettersson is that he still has game breaking skill. He's not a guy that has to drive the play, have an incredible work ethic, to succeed. He can make a difference with only a few touches of the puck.

Gaborik on the Wild is, stylistically, a poor comparison, but is similar in what I am saying. In tight scoring games a player like Pettersson can make a huge difference with just one touch of the puck.

Yeah good call. (effect vs style)

I think the people desperate for major shift by shift consistency and driving a line are going to be pretty disappointed moving forward. Like you say Petterson is the type of player where one touch can win or turn the game in our favor. He is good at anticipation, picking off passes, reading plays, finishing, and knowing where to be. If he doesn't hit on that to score or set up a couple goals his games are always going to look a little complacent and uninvolved when really it's just a matter of successfully capitalizing on bounces or not. He has completely taken over games from time to time on a 200 foot level, but it's not really his calling card either.

I also think people are really sleeping on his defensive work and understanding of what it takes to win hockey games in the NHL. Regardless of what people think of this season for Petey personally it's by far the best in terms of success for the team.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
would not f*** with the 3rd line.
Hog - Petey - Mik
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland

Just even out the icetime and in times of desperation load up and run with 3 lines of

Petey - Miller - Boeser
Hog - Bluegar - Mik

Reactions: crazychimp and bh53

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
would not f*** with the 3rd line.
Hog - Petey - Mik
Suter - Miller - Boeser

Just even out the icetime and in times of desperation load up and run with 3 lines of

Petey - Miller - Boeser
Hog - Bluegar - Mik
Yeah basically. Suter also had a monster game 1 and showed up big time so I have no issue keeping him there as a mainstay. We saw Tocchet go Lotto line a few times randomly too which was nicd

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
One of the underrated things that happened in game 1 was the performance of our PK. It must have been a huge confidence boost to know that they can shut down the Preds' PP. 5v5 is our bread and butter and our PP is still a work in progress. But if we can blunt the 2nd best PP since the all star break, it puts us in the driver's seat for the remainder of the series.

Their first 2 PKs were downright brutal. Lanes were wide open for the Preds and the Canucks were applying little to no pressure in a passive diamond. The PK was way better when they put the skilled guys in.

Notable shift in the PK when Pettersson and Joshua were the ice. Guys like Bluegar and Suter are good at breaking up plays but seemingly struggle in clearing pucks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad