Pre-Game Talk: WCQF - Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks @ St. Louis Blues - Aug 14 - 3:30PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Something about our Canucks right now...do not underestimate this team..
They are in a zone right now..loving this...

they have a lot of push back and grit. Won't take shit from nobody including Pettersson.

Edler is now assuming true leadership role. Don't mess with him either.

The Stanley cup champs had faced this adversity before. They will come out guns a blazin. Billington will have a better game. Boys need to get ready and play a high powered game to take game 2. Refs will help out the Blues we know it, but we have to play our game Markstrom has to stand on his head.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
got bored, watched 2003 recaps

how has it been nearly twenty years? did anybody at the time comment on the osgood/cloutier birdcage mask showdown?

I was at Game 5 of that series. Canucks down 3-1 in the series, the building was electric. Bertuzzi scored an beautiful between the legs goal coming out from the corner. St. Louis made it 4-3 late, and then Sami Salo tipped one past Osgood before St. Louis could even pull their goalie.

Damn near lost my voice at that game. So much fun. And the comeback was on.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Stupid Question: Do the Canucks play the winner of Cal & Dal? or does it get re ranked after the round based on standings (so Col / Vegas would get the weaker seeds)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Stupid Question: Do the Canucks play the winner of Cal & Dal? or does it get re ranked after the round based on standings (so Col / Vegas would get the weaker seeds)

Per my understanding, the corresponding bracket is CGY/DAL. They would face the winner of that playoff.

we47inh7o6g51.png

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Per my understanding, the corresponding bracket is CGY/DAL. They would face the winner of that playoff.

we47inh7o6g51.png
No brackets.

"In each succeeding round of the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the highest remaining seed in each conference will face the lowest remaining seed, the second-highest remaining seed in each conference will face the second-lowest remaining seed, etc."

NHL Announces Additional Details for 2020 Playoff Format

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Yesterday, Anders Lee was literally 20 feet from Nicklas Backstrom when Backstrom got rid the puck; Lee hit him anyway, got a two-minute penalty and not so much as a peep from Player Safety while Backstrom is now in concussion protocol. Farcical when considering what Rome got.

Backstrom has already followed through on his pass when I took this screenshot.
Such a joke. Rome's whole career is defined by that hit, yet 9 years later there hasnt been any suspension close to what he got

Reactions: vanuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope hughes is not banged up, limited ice time later and he looked to be in pain after that second cross check from perron on his hip.
Let's face it, first the Wild and now the Blues are going to target the Canucks best players. They know their chances of winning this series are enhanced if players like Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser or Miller are nicked.

Which is of course why the Stanley Cup is so hard to win. For the Canucks to survive, they need their best players to be at their best every game. The way things are going, it's going to take a minor miracle for all of them to stay healthy through this series and potentially the next.

But that's just the hard reality of post-season hockey when the refs put the whistle away and the scrums and muggings after the whistle creep back into the game.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Yeah

Blues are extremely dirty imagine if Boeser didn’t duck out of the way on that charge from the blues player. He’d probably have been out of the series

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Canada is taking notice, just remember before this season, most pundits were calling us a rebuilding team.

I think we're still a work in progress given the absolute insane depth Chicago had back then but we have a very strong core.

They finished the Sharks off in 5 though, they had plenty of time to rest for the SCF. In fact, they started up 2-0. That's why I don't buy the 'should have finished off the Hawks sooner' argument. IMO, the series turned on the Hamhuis injury. Rome got pressed up the lineup, then got an unprecedented 4 games for being 0.1 seconds late on a hit.

Hamhuis and Kesler getting injured pretty much doomed us. We already had far too many injuries as it was, what with our entire top six and top four playing with injuries of various severity. I think only Samuelsson was healthy on the forward, which was hilarious given his history. Bieksa was all we really had on defense. Frankly, it's partly why I think Luongo struggled so much. Bieska basically became a man on an island once Hamhuis was done. Not only were those two a defensive rock all year, Bieska just had no chemistry with anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think we're still a work in progress given the absolute insane depth Chicago had back then but we have a very strong core.

Hamhuis and Kesler getting injured pretty much doomed us. We already had far too many injuries as it was, what with our entire top six and top four playing with injuries of various severity. I think only Samuelsson was healthy on the forward, which was hilarious given his history. Bieksa was all we really had on defense. Frankly, partly why I think Luongo struggled so much. Bieska was basically a man on an island once Hamhuis was done. Not only were those two a defensive rock all year, Bieska just had no chemistry with anyone else.

I think if the Hamhuis injury and Rome suspension doesn't happen, we take 1 out of 2 in Boston and come home up 3-1 and win it in Game 5. Lot's of blame on lack of offense, but I think it was more a case of forwards trying to help out the D playing above its depth level and not taking as many chances offensively. They had been scoring up until this series, then their D goes down and they forget how to play offense? No. Even with Kesler out we had some weapons. It's kind of unfortunate about Mason Raymond's injury too, not that he had a great series.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I hope hughes is not banged up, limited ice time later and he looked to be in pain after that second cross check from perron on his hip.

If he was the slightest bit banged up he wouldn't be shooting hoops with Petey in the bubble on his off day between playoff games.

Hughes is fine..

Reactions: kaczor47
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad