Pre-Game Talk: WCQF - Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks @ St. Louis Blues - Aug 14 - 3:30PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That one always got to me. Totally understood the hate for Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa - even for Luongo, who definitely had some swagger to him. But have we had two more inoffensive players than the Twins on the team before?

I guess other fans got pissed at them for filling their nets with pucks...
I can accept wise ass remarks by other fans (heck, I'm guilty of that myself against other team players). What bothered me is the lack of respect they got from other players (Thornton for example as opposed to Marchand who was a **** to everyone lol) and officials/refs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I can accept wise ass remarks by other fans (heck, I'm guilty of that myself against other team players). What bothered me is the lack of respect they got from other players (Thornton for example as opposed to Marchand who was a **** to everyone lol) and officials/refs.

Don't forget Dave Bolland - not just on the ice, but off it with that bizarre interview - and Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin making all sorts of bizarre innuendos about them on the radio, comments that got them in trouble with the league and their own team (Stars front office was not impressed).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Don't forget about Torres and Lapierre. I believe at the time (Before his Twitter account?) Luongo wasn't well received by other fans either. Not that I agree with any of it, but I can see why the team was disliked.

Because Luongo was a diva with a weak mental game ( which was on full display on the 2011 Finals )

Plus Kesler was an asshole then and still is today, f*** that guy.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Because Luongo was a diva with a weak mental game ( which was on full display on the 2011 Finals )

Plus Kesler was an asshole then and still is today, f*** that guy.
Come on Epoch.

I will never accept people putting 2011 on Lyongo. He was way down the list of excuses. And the fans were not fair to Kesler during his last few years here. I have no problem with him wanting out once it was clear the core was stale and the window closing by 2014. He played his ass off for us while here. Never took a night off once. Put his body on the line regularly.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
lol and the Sedins were derided by other fans because? Could easily be Lady Byng candidate every season; that didn't stop the 'sisters BS comments'. **** them.
I blocked people on social media for that crap. Usually I don’t care, but these guys were not just electric on the ice, they were and are incredible people. It just demonstrated a weird fragility and prejudice amongst North American hockey fans/players that they were so regularly insulted in that way.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Don't forget Dave Bolland - not just on the ice, but off it with that bizarre interview - and Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin making all sorts of bizarre innuendos about them on the radio, comments that got them in trouble with the league and their own team (Stars front office was not impressed).

Best part is, none of those people had the audacity to say it to the twins upfront. If Hank and Dank gave them so much as a harsh look they'd suddenly melt into thin air like a fart in the wind.

And the fact that the twins think being called female siblings is a praise only goes further to show who's the true a-holes in the situation.

As far as I'm concerned these miserable turds can go blank themselves.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
2011 failure due:
-f***ing stupid reffing
-f***ing stupid injuries. 2 top 4 dmen. 3 top 6 fowards.
-Not finishing off the Blackhawks sooner which led to fatigue. That 1st round should have been a clean sweep.

I will admit...Luongo was brutal when he was off his game. 2009 RII Game 6, 2010 and the games in Boston in 2011 come to mind. He never really replicated his 2007 performance which was a shame. He was god-like that year.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Come on Epoch.

I will never accept people putting 2011 on Lyongo. He was way down the list of excuses. And the fans were not fair to Kesler during his last few years here. I have no problem with him wanting out once it was clear the core was stale and the window closing by 2014. He played his ass off for us while here. Never took a night off once. Put his body on the line regularly.

Luongo single-handedly costed us game 6 SCF, a series clincher. He is not first inline of reasons why we lost, but he definitely is not "way down the list".

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
2011 has clearly left scars on our souls. We can’t stop rehashing it, even in a thread about the team’s current playoff endeavours.
Here’s hoping this iteration of the Canucks helps us forget pat disappointments.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
2011 has clearly left scars on our souls. We can’t stop rehashing it, even in a thread about the team’s current playoff endeavours.
Here’s hoping this iteration of the Canucks helps us forget pat disappointments.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Indiana

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Story of game one was the pp....the Blues are either going to have to stop taking penalties or find a way to kill them better. The best way to discourage a team from taking liberties with your best players is to burn them on the man-advantage.

Canucks will face a different Blues team tomorrow night. But they're still going to need better goalending that what Binnington delivered in game one. At the other end, Markstrom is going to need to stand on his head in this one. I'm sensing an OT game.
Amen.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If that's the play I remember they cut it right before he grabs his leg like a toddler grabbing onto his daddy's leg and being dragged around.

That'd be the one.

I still want to see a replay of Edler trucking Perron later in the game. Happened just off camera, and no one seems to have a replay of it.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
lol and the Sedins were derided by other fans because? Could easily be Lady Byng candidate every season; that didn't stop the 'sisters BS comments'. **** them.

Daniel and Henrik took way too many hooking and holding penalties to ever be in the running for the Lady Byng.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
2011 failure due:
-f***ing stupid reffing
-f***ing stupid injuries. 2 top 4 dmen. 3 top 6 fowards.
-Not finishing off the Blackhawks sooner which led to fatigue. That 1st round should have been a clean sweep.

I will admit...Luongo was brutal when he was off his game. 2009 RII Game 6, 2010 and the games in Boston in 2011 come to mind. He never really replicated his 2007 performance which was a shame. He was god-like that year.

They finished the Sharks off in 5 though, they had plenty of time to rest for the SCF. In fact, they started up 2-0. That's why I don't buy the 'should have finished off the Hawks sooner' argument. IMO, the series turned on the Hamhuis injury. Rome got pressed up the lineup, then got an unprecedented 4 games for being 0.1 seconds late on a hit.

Reactions: Indiana

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Wearing the Canuck uniform automatically gave whoever was wearing it a number of minors they wouldn't have otherwise received.

The Sedins weren't fast skaters, that's why they got caught reaching a lot. They were no saints, they earned most of their minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad