GDT: [WCQF GAME 2] | Edmonton Oilers vs San Jose Sharks | 4.14.17 | 8:30PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I don't mind there being a lot of penalties, if they are called evenly. Our PP is much better than theirs.

The chances of the officials calling the penalties evenly is pretty low.
The oilers did play bad in the 2nd and 3rd, but some of the penalties from that game were absolute ********* and killed the flow of the Oilers.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The chances of the officials calling the penalties evenly is pretty low.
The oilers did play bad in the 2nd and 3rd, but some of the penalties from that game were absolute ********* and killed the flow of the Oilers.

The hooking on Drake was something that wouldn't even be called in the pre-season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Biggest thing is we need shorter shifts.

Body runs out of ATP in 40s. Sharks average shift time last game was 43 seconds. Ours was 58s. Using all our anabolic energy. Why we looked so tired.

Its been a while since I've taken exercise physiology, but your numbers seem a little off here. ATP-PC stores only last about 10-15 seconds of maximal exertion. After that the majority of energy comes from anaerobic glycolysis which can contribute near maximally for between 45s-2min. Of course no hockey player is going full out for a full shift and these numbers can be variable.

With that said, the Oilers shift length had little to do with their own choice. Getting hemmed in your own zone in the 2nd period played a huge part in the average shift length as its a lot harder for player and especially D to get off, and we got absolutely dominated in the 2nd period. Our shift length in the 1st period was great, but the biggest thing to controlling shift length is good push back. I mean Larsson and Nurse got stuck out for a 2:40 shift in the 2nd period because we couldn't get the puck to the sharks zone. The team just needs to play better and their shift length will be fine.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The hooking on Drake was something that wouldn't even be called in the pre-season.

Funny how its get called in the playoffs though. Aka the one where refs apparently hold in their whistles. I noticed numerous times the refs let go of whatever the sharks did to the Oilers. Tim Peel's absolute garbage.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Funny how its get called in the playoffs though. Aka the one where refs apparently hold in their whistles. I noticed numerous times the refs let go of whatever the sharks did to the Oilers. Tim Peel's absolute garbage.

Either call everything or let them play. The only other game 1 that even came close to the amount of penalties was the Flames/Ducks game.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Oilers are going to be super motivated after that Game 1 loss in front of the fans. I predict a great game by them and a W.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Either call everything or let them play. The only other game 1 that even came close to the amount of penalties was the Flames/Ducks game.

How ironic that its another Californian team getting calls in their favor. You would think the Flames/Oilers were playing the Kings with how the officials were like in game 1.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
As a fan base we need to stop looking for excuses as to why we lost. After the first period, where we were leading 2-0, we had one more penalty than SJ. Referees did not lose the game for us. Why did SJ not lose momentum from the penalties like we did? Because they played a very solid game and we played like hot garbage. We made mistakes and couldn't handle their forecheck. We got hemmed in our end and couldn't handle their cycle game. We played our worst two periods in a long time.

Doesn't matter who the ref is tonight, both teams have the same ref. There is no anti Oiler conspiracy or pro California bias. If we are better we will win. Easy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How ironic that its another Californian team getting calls in their favor. You would think the Flames/Oilers were playing the Kings with how the officials were like in game 1.

I really think the Oilers stopped hitting and forechecking when the whistles started blowing. They were the better team in the first and were still whistled for 3 penalties.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The reffing sucked, but its time to let it go. Yes, it helped shift the momentum the Sharks way with some bad calls/non-calls the other way, but momentum swings are going to happen throughout playoff games regardless. The Oilers had no answer for it, and couldn't get anything going to shift the momentum back despite having the crowd behind them so its on them not the refs.

They're a young team, and hopefully the stage freight is out of their system now and they'll have an answer when the Sharks put the pressure on or gain some momentum. I think they have it in them tonight to tie the series up.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
As a fan base we need to stop looking for excuses as to why we lost. After the first period, where we were leading 2-0, we had one more penalty than SJ. Referees did not lose the game for us. Why did SJ not lose momentum from the penalties like we did? Because they played a very solid game and we played like hot garbage. We made mistakes and couldn't handle their forecheck. We got hemmed in our end and couldn't handle their cycle game. We played our worst two periods in a long time.

Doesn't matter who the ref is tonight, both teams have the same ref. There is no anti Oiler conspiracy or pro California bias. If we are better we will win. Easy.

Well said.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I really think the Oilers stopped hitting and forechecking when the whistles started blowing. They were the better team in the first and were still whistled for 3 penalties.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. The first was simply astounding by the Oilers. Hard forecheck or skating fast to land a hit like Kassian did. For the love of God, I hope the officials don't ruin the game tonight like they did in game 1.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

LkNdadq.gif

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, I noticed that as well. The first was simply astounding by the Oilers. Hard forecheck or skating fast to land a hit like Kassian did. For the love of God, I hope the officials don't ruin the game tonight like they did in game 1.

The refs ruined the flow of the game no question, but they didn't lose us the game. With that said I do hope they put the whistles away and don't call a lot of the weak crap they did last game. It really ruins the excitement of a fast, high pace, physical playoff game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad