GDT: WCQF GAME #2: Canucks vs. Blues | 3:30 p.m. PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I remember it as hiding your worsening mesothelioma from your son only to have it revealed at the end that you went about it all wrong if you wanted to survive in the post-apocalyptic world.
Well, if you want to take it literally.
I think he was I despair and holding onto one piece of hope, willing to do anything to give his son some sense of safety and future.
Much like ....uh.... Trevor Linden?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Expecting the Blues to bring their best fastball tonight. If the Canucks can hit it this series is over. Even at 1-1 I like the Canucks chances, Green will have last change for games 3 and 4 and get Pettersson away from the O'Reilly line.
It all rests on Marky. No, not for him to play extraordinary. If he performance as he most often does, we've got the edge.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think it is a pretty great book about the sacrifices of parenthood. But yeah, dystopian and all that.
I never got into McCarthy's style. I admire his skill but I feel like he deliberately emphasizes characteristics of life that I'm capable of noticing on my own, and I get tired of him nudging me and pointing them out. I tried to read The Road anyway but after having a kid, the anxiety stories like this produce is overwhelming. Maybe when he's grown.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Interesting break down of the series by Travis Yost...

"There were a few important takeaways from Game 1. First and most importantly: Vancouver clearly belongs. This was not an inexperienced team that looked rattled. In fact, I thought they did an excellent job of using their speed on the wings to effectively counterattack St. Louis on a number of occasions, an important development considering the Blues’ ability to own the puck for extended periods of games."

Intriguing chess match developing between Vancouver Canucks and St. Louis Blues - TSN.ca

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I never got into McCarthy's style. I admire his skill but I feel like he deliberately emphasizes characteristics of life that I'm capable of noticing on my own, and I get tired of him nudging me and pointing them out. I tried to read The Road anyway but after having a kid, the anxiety stories like this produce is overwhelming. Maybe when he's grown.
A fair response I think. McCarthy sometimes feels like he is showing off a bit, or that his “stream of consciousness” is just radically different from everyone else’s. So it takes quite a bit to recalibrate and get on his wave length.
Much like...uh...Jim Benning?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Canucks need Jake clicking if they expect to win this series.

I know it wont happen, but I would play him 12 -14 minutes and take the consequences this game, to get him going. We lose this game and it's a best of 5 against the defending champs which if someone told you that on March 10 you would be ecstatic.

When Jake is out there regularly doing what he can do, opposing D start to cough up the puck even when there is no pressure on them. We need that.

Sometimes you have to lose a little to win a lot.

Wow you have the Jake fever pretty bad if you'll take a loss just to "get him going". Replace him with somebody who cares.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
A fair response I think. McCarthy sometimes feels like he is showing off a bit, or that his “stream of consciousness” is just radically different from everyone else’s. So it takes quite a bit to recalibrate and get on his wave length.

Steamer got the C and never gave it up after he got injured.

51Ap93Lpv4L._AC_SX342_.jpg

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Interesting break down of the series by Travis Yost...

"There were a few important takeaways from Game 1. First and most importantly: Vancouver clearly belongs. This was not an inexperienced team that looked rattled. In fact, I thought they did an excellent job of using their speed on the wings to effectively counterattack St. Louis on a number of occasions, an important development considering the Blues’ ability to own the puck for extended periods of games."

Intriguing chess match developing between Vancouver Canucks and St. Louis Blues - TSN.ca

Think Yost has it right here. The Canucks bottom 6 won't look as good as it has so far this series, but the Pettersson line won't look as bad.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I always found his style deliberately spare and bleak. It's a bit ironic that Ginger Papa mentioned him alongside Kerouac, who wrote high on benzedrine and would go entire pages without using any punctuation other than a few commas. What they have in common is that they ignore rules, which is a wonderful thing if you're smart enough to write well without them or come up with better ones. McCarthy largely wrote in incomplete sentences and Kerouac hardly knew or cared what a sentence was.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Blues apparently had an optional practice yesterday and no morning skate.

Wonder if they're trying to just mentally reset like the Canucks did after the game 1 loss. Interesting they didn't have any full practices before this game.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Wonder if they're trying to just mentally reset like the Canucks did after the game 1 loss. Interesting they didn't have any full practices before this game.
Judging from what Berube said..He said he was happy the way the Blues played (there were stretches where they had us pinned in our end), and what turned the game on its head , in his opinion, was Stechers goal (which I'm assuming he thought we got lucky on that one).

So, I'm expecting more of the same....but less penalties.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Trusting that a veteran team can re-load themselves for a big game, most likely.

I think there's going to be an early storm for the Canucks to weather here as the Blues come out hard. I think if we can stay even during the first period, we may be able to steal this one.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Well, if you want to take it literally.
I think he was I despair and holding onto one piece of hope, willing to do anything to give his son some sense of safety and future.
Much like ....uh.... Trevor Linden?
LOL. I'm aware of the subtext. It was just what stuck out to me as I prepared myself to become a father - basically that the main character, who embodied all the virtues of paternal self-sacrifice had inadvertantly and unnecessarily put his son in harm's way all because he took some dubious advice way back when.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
I still believe if we see Binnington tonight we win 6-3. We were in his head before the series even started, and we are definitely in his head after the other night. If Allen starts I predict a closer game with the Blues taking it 4-3.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
LOL. I'm aware of the subtext. It was just what stuck out to me as I prepared myself to become a father - basically that the main character, who embodied all the virtues of paternal self-sacrifice had inadvertantly and unnecessarily put his son in harm's way all because he took some dubious advice way back when.
Fair. McCarthy wouldn’t be himself if he didn’t layer everything with despair born out of human weakness and ignorance. But The Road still ends uncharacteristically “happy”. Sort of. At least in the sense that not every character dies horribly in Mexico.

Let us think on that as we contemplate this afternoon’s hockey game. St Louis is our Mexico, but we don’t have to die there, abandoned in some decrepit brothel after being cheated in a bad horse deal (which strangely puts me in mind of some of Benning’s trades and free agent signings...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad