Pre-Game Talk: WCQF - Game 1 - Vancouver Canucks @ St. Louis Blues - Aug 12 - 7:30PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Canucks have a shot here. I think they definitely match up better against a defensive-oriented St. Louis team than high-octane transition teams like Vegas and Colorado.

It'll depend on whether the Blues are still in a malaise. They clearly didn't bother with the round robin, so we'll see if they can flip the switch. There were some rumours about some Blues not wanting to bother with the pandemic tournament, but they're rumours so who knows.

The moneyline on the Canucks was pretty favourable, so I plopped some money down on them. I'm still pretty bearish on the Canucks overall, but they have a real shot here. I'll be cheering for them.

Last edited:

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
The Canucks have a shot here. I think they definitely match up better against a defensive-oriented St. Louis team than high-octane transition teams like Vegas and Colorado.

It'll depend on whether the Blues are still in a malaise. They clearly didn't bother with the round robin, so we'll see if they can flip the switch. There were some rumours about some Blues not wanting to bother with the pandemic tournament, but they're rumours so who knows.

The moneyline on the Canucks was pretty favourable, so I plopped some money down on them. I'm still pretty bearish on the Canucks overall, but they have a real shot here. I'll be cheering for them.
we do have a shot against Stl.We have youth ,vets and grinders.And need Marky to stand tall. I'm not taking the Blues lightly. But they should not take us lightly either...

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Gotta try and keep the Pettersson line away from ROR as much as possible. Gunna be a close series.
Apparently he did just fine against the ROR line during the season, but not so much against the Schenn line. Whereas ROR caved in everyone else, if I'm remembering correctly...

Yep, here.

How the Lotto Line matchup will help the Canucks dominate at 5-on-5 against the Blues
During the season, the Blues were hard matching the line of David Perron, Ryan O’Reilly and Zach Sanford against the Pettersson line.
It is in the best interest of the Canucks to try and have this matchup again as the Pettersson-Miller duo was excellent against the top line for the Blues. The scary part is seeing how the O’Reilly line dominated the Canucks when they faced off against the other three Canucks lines.

...Schenn was able to limit Pettersson and Miller’s offensive output and kept the puck in the Canucks zone in the limited time they played against each other at 5-on-5.

So Lotto Line on ROR, and Horvat line on Schenn I guess?

Last edited:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Apparently he did just fine against the ROR line during the season, but not so much against the Schenn line. Whereas ROR caved in everyone else, if I'm remembering correctly...

Yep, here.

How the Lotto Line matchup will help the Canucks dominate at 5-on-5 against the Blues

So Lotto Line on ROR, and Horvat line on Schenn I guess?

JT Miller and Elias Pettersson has more points than ROR... I say bring it on :). Faceoffs will be key to this series and I believe we have a slight edge there.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I dont really think itd be that big of a surprise to us blues fans if you beat us. Weve looked super bad in both the exhibition game and 3 round robin games following that.

Our offense has been non existant with us often failing to register 20 shots on goal. (We scored 4 goals on like 17 shots vs vegas, but thats because marc andre-fleury was really really bad. Like really really bad. Not because we had good chances. Vegas dominated that game. Our defense has looked somewhat good in round robin games 1 and 3 but vegas dominated us. Goaltending has been mostly good despite binny being under siege vs vegas.

We are just hopeful that our defense will look like it dod in round robin games 1 and 3 and that we can just maybe find some sliver of hope on offense to get going but we look so disjointed now. Tarasenko looks like a guy that hasnt played all year and is wary coming off a shoulder injury.

Our defence and Myers taking 10 penalties per game will jump start your offence. Don’t worry.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They made a point on the Vancast about the real difference maker in the series could be the Blues third line with Robert Thomas on it. If that line matches up against our third line they figured it would eat it alive.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
I'm going out on a limb and saying Toffoli plays tomorrow night.

Petey-Miller-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson
Rous-Sutter-Toffoli
Motte-Beagle-Virtanen

I know what you'll say - what Eriksson over Toffoli?! Yes. 3-0 with him there, and that 3rd line is good enough to hang with the Blues 3rd line as well. Toffoli & Rous together could cause some damage. If need be - swap them after 2 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm going out on a limb and saying Toffoli plays tomorrow night.

Petey-Miller-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson
Rous-Sutter-Toffoli
Motte-Beagle-Virtanen

I know what you'll say - what Eriksson over Toffoli?! Yes. 3-0 with him there, and that 3rd line is good enough to hang with the Blues 3rd line as well. Toffoli & Rous together could cause some damage. If need be - swap them after 2 games.

Last report I had seen had Toffoli in a walking boot??

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah, Green said today that Toffoli is still unfit to play.

Gaudette is available, and Green said Fantenberg looked good today, and they’d see how he felt tomorrow.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
"Jordie Benn is looking to get back on the ice Sunday.
Benn returned to Dallas from Vancouver on July 18 to be with his fiancee for the birth of their first child. His new daughter arrived a week ago and Benn came to Edmonton on Tuesday but was required to quarantine. He had negative tests re:COVID-19 and will be allowed to skate on his own Sunday but not with his teammates. If Benn has three more negative tests, he will be able to join his teammates for practice and will probably need a couple to get back into it. Look for Benn to return to the Vancouver lineup for Game 2 or 3."

Aug 9, 2020, 10:49 AM ET
Jordie Benn - Vancouver Canucks - NHL
WTF? he should be quarantined for 14 days and no where near this team! dumb shit should have had his kid in Canada with free healthcare and not in an infected Texas hospital. He's endangering the whole team as well as the Blues.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad