Series Talk: WCQF: Colorado Avalanche vs Nashville Predators series thread | Avs win 4-0

Who wins

• Avs in 4

Votes: 34 15.1%
  • Avs in 5

Votes: 97 43.1%
  • Avs in 6

Votes: 62 27.6%
  • Avs in 7

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Preds in 4

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Preds in 5

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Preds in 6

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Preds in 7

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah...beyond the return that we got which obviously was pretty great and the cap flexibility not having his contract gives us, he just isn't a type of player that will succeed in Bednar's system. I also question whether he can succeed in any playoff atmosphere. I watched him a lot in particular that last game and his floating was horrible. In both zones too. There'd be a puck that could easily be contested and he'd just watch and wait. He had no extra motor to get to dirty areas and just seemed at 50% speed the whole game. His game lives and dies off of other players creating for him.

Sucks to some degree...he used to be my favorite player and really got me back into the Avs as an adult (was in college when we drafted him). I think the biggest thing that separates him from being an elite player is a consistent motor and the drive to win/make his team compete. IQ is an issue to some degree too but the big difference is motor in my opinion. Watching Mack, Landy, Makar compete is just levels different.

I believe it was Henchy that pointed it out, but his career year this last season is likely due to him primarily playing on the wing. He can get a little bit of extra time as a legitimate top-6 player if he full-on embraces being a winger.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I believe it was Henchy that pointed it out, but his career year this last season is likely due to him primarily playing on the wing. He can get a little bit of extra time as a legitimate top-6 player if he full-on embraces being a winger.
Yep that was necessary and even there, he hurts the team with the floating.

Snow Arc

We have to shout above the din of our RiceCrispies
Aug 14, 2020
Tangent: One good difference about this series than the last two 1st round series also, is that the Avs won games fairly differently vs. the Preds (albeit still dominating in underlying statistics).

Game 1: Blow out win
Game 2: Tough OT
Game 3: Pretty dominant win where the Preds made a game of it for a little bit
Game 4: Pretty "regular" win with a 5-3 final score

Edit: It wasn't just 4 games of 4-0, 5-1-type victories
Fifty Shades of Win

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
He's gonna go somewhere and chase a cup. He'd fit like a glove in Denver, but I don't think The Avs will have the money to sign him, not unless they trade EJ and JTC to make room...

His lastname is a great fit. :sarcasm: I really like Filip but I don't think he is a great fit in Colorado, too expensive and we shouldn't mess with the great team chemistry too much.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

One thing's for sure, he wouldn't smirk at Dater

5.png

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

This legit keeps me up at night. I think there's a reason for that statistic. The momentum you gain as a team from winning a decisive game 7 can't be underestimated. I'll be fervently hoping for STL to finish the series off at home tomorrow night because whoever we play I don't want them riding that high when they play us.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

So if STL was smart they will allow a Game 7 and then beat the Wild or if the WIld force a Game 7 and then beat the Blues they will beat the Avs. Either way the Avs are losing the next round. Trust the science.

I miss Avs hockey already
We will get 4 more games and then look forward to the draft.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This legit keeps me up at night. I think there's a reason for that statistic. The momentum you gain as a team from winning a decisive game 7 can't be underestimated. I'll be fervently hoping for STL to finish the series off at home tomorrow night because whoever we play I don't want them riding that high when they play us.

Yep. It is the most concerning stat I have seen for this Avs team.

And it held true twice last year as well. Us losing to Vegas as well as Winnipeg losing to Montreal, so it's now the last 7 times the game 7 winner won the next series.

Momentum and the high of winning a game 7 is very real.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Duchene also looked both bigger and quicker than I remember him being. I think that's just as big, if not a bigger reason for his success last year.

He was very difficult to muscle around and contain and his shot was much more accurate as well. I think he put in a lot of work both on and off the ice to improve his game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duchene also looked both bigger and quicker than I remember him being. I think that's just as big, if not a bigger reason for his success last year.

He was very difficult to muscle around and contain and his shot was much more accurate as well. I think he put in a lot of work both on and off the ice to improve his game.
Hes gotten bigger for sure. Also, notice how his spin shit is completely out of his game now. His play style looks alot different now. More efficient movement and cut out the nonsense 1 on 1 stuff he used to try and fail to do.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hes gotten bigger for sure. Also, notice how his spin shit is completely out of his game now. His play style looks alot different now. More efficient movement and cut out the nonsense 1 on 1 stuff he used to try and fail to do.

Yeah he definitely cut out the frustrating low percentage 1 on 1 plays, but he still had a couple spins he executed very well in the series. That's where I saw some improved quickness in addition to strength. Generated some good chances off them.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I still recall a handful of posters absolutely losing their shit at the end of the regular season because we lost to Nashville and we’re concerned about whether we were facing Nashville/Dallas.

I know some of you are concerned about the time off, but I’m not.

Not only does it give the Avs back office more scouting for the teams/goalies ahead, it also helps heal the bumps and bruises, recharge the batteries.

And most importantly, every less game we play is one less opportunity to get a injury, pull a muscle, get hurt blocking a shot, taking an awkward fall in the boards.

Maybe playing a 5th game keeps them sharper for round 2, but I’d much rather have the rest and health that comes with a sweep.

I bet if you did a Venn diagram of them with the posters who lost their mind with excitement after the the 2016 Preseason, you’d have a singular circle.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

While there’s something to the idea of being battle hardened vs coming off a soft series and a layoff, streaks exist until they’re broken. There hadn’t been a comeback from 3-0 down in ages, and then I think Flyers and Kings both did it a couple years apart

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad