WCQF: (2) Edmonton Oilers vs. (3) San Jose Sharks | Series tied 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't think the Oilers have been so much chippier than other playoff teams to warrant SJ being given almost double the amount of PPs as virtually every other team in the playoffs though. I will say that, and I haven't really been one to harp on the refs.

There's nothing going on in the Oilers/Sharks series that isn't happening in the Ducks/Flames or Jackets/Pens series' from what I'm seeing.
Yeah there's been very little after-the-whistle nastiness like in the Ducks-Flames series
Been very little hate

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
both sides are looking at it through whatever coloured glasses they chose to wear. Stupid to argue it so long as you got a dog in the race...

Yup no point arguing about it.. no side is going to convince the other.. enjoy the games

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah there's been very little after-the-whistle nastiness like in the Ducks-Flames series
Been very little hate

Things will probably change after the beat down last game.. I have a feeling Oilers and McLellan are done with respecting the opponent

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Been very little hate

Yeah either this series has been way more "violent" than every other series, or the reffing simply hasn't been very good.

I think it's generally the latter. I'm watching the other series' and most of them have borderline hits and plays going on like crazy.

I mean really ultimately I don't care that much because it's 2-2, and as an Oiler fan if you had offered me that at this point with home ice advantage, I'd gladly have taken that and generally I don't really like talking about the reffing, but it is a little odd to me that this series has like double the penalties as every other series.

The weird thing is there's no consistency either. I'm seeing plays (including plays by the Oilers mind you) that I think "ok that's a penalty for sure" ... no call. Then a little thing is called one minute later. Like constantly. It's hard to get any read or feel on the series. At least be consistent.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The Sharks have 12 penalties and only 2 teams have 13.

The refs have been calling this very tight. The Oilers are horribly undisciplined. Put 2 and 2 together.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
There have definitely been a few calls on both teams where I raise my eyebrows and think "They called THAT a penalty?". I remember in either the 2nd or 3rd game an EDM player jumped into a check (clearly charging), then another throws a big hit in open ice that was well over a second late (clearly interference, and possible hit to the head) within 10 seconds. I was furious, how could the refs miss both of those back to back. But then not a minute later EDM gets called for some ticky-tack holding or something (that was technically a penalty, but rarely gets called). Very inconsistent, even for the same team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There have definitely been a few calls on both teams where I raise my eyebrows and think "They called THAT a penalty?". I remember in either the 2nd or 3rd game an EDM player jumped into a check (clearly charging), then another throws a big hit in open ice that was well over a second late (clearly interference, and possible hit to the head) within 10 seconds. I was furious, how could the refs miss both of those back to back. But then not a minute later EDM gets called for some ticky-tack holding or something (that was technically a penalty, but rarely gets called). Very inconsistent, even for the same team.

The best part in all of this was the McDavid penalty last night for something that the refs let go when committed against him over 100 times throughout the season. Talk about some irony.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The refs have been calling this very tight. The Oilers are horribly undisciplined. Put 2 and 2 together.

I'm watching this series and no way should this series have double the penalty calls of basically every other series.

It is no more physical or chippy than most any other playoff series.

22 PPs for the Sharks is more PPs than many series' have combined from both teams, lol. It does raise an eyebrow.

Still 2-2 series with home ice left, I'll take it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm watching this series and no way should this series have double the penalty calls of basically every other series.

It is no more physical or chippy than most any other playoff series.

22 PPs for the Sharks is more PPs than many series' have combined from both teams, lol. It does raise an eyebrow.

Still 2-2 series with home ice left, I'll take it.

Since oiler fans don't like using stats from a blowout game. Take 8 of those pp's away and it does't look so bad at 14 pp's sharks and 8 pp's oilers.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
It's not over but if they lose Draisaitl for game 5, that would be a huge loss for them and it could be the difference between winning and losing tomorrow. I don't think the Oilers come back to San Jose and win if they lose tomorrow. It's certainly possible but I wouldn't like their odds.

I agree with you. Next team to lose on home ice is done.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Since oiler fans don't like using stats from a blowout game. Take 8 of those pp's away and it does't look so bad at 14 pp's sharks and 8 pp's oilers.

That game was still competitive before a wishy washy call on Russell at the end of the 1st period which then turns into a 5-on-3, then it's 3-0 and basically game over.

I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, it's just the refs have been ****** this series. Sometimes people do a bad job. The refs for whatever reason in this series are wildly out of sync with every other series.

So either this series is way more vicious than the other series (which I'm dubious about) or the refs in this particular series are deciding to call things in whatever weird way they want.

I'm watching this series and watching other series', and no way should this one have double the calls as every other one.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
C9yyRDLUIAE839Y.jpg

Alberta is rat and shark free so you guys will be exterminated soon enough.

mrpither

Dec 1, 2005
the 'verse
Things will probably change after the beat down last game.. I have a feeling Oilers and McLellan are done with respecting the opponent

So look for more charges aimed at the heads of or more wounded Shark players and face cross checks? :popcorn:

And warm up the spear guns since it will just be a fine. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bingo.

No matter what people think they see or want to try to sell, the Sharks have never been a team known for embellishing, diving, or being dirty/taking excessive penalties. Some players on the team are borderline (ALL teams have guys like that), but the team as a whole aren't known for it. Are there any current Sharks players who have ever been fined or penalized more than once for diving/embellishing?

Couture sometimes over-exaggerates/over-dramatizes when he takes a highstick, but I haven't seen Meier dive or embellish since he's been on the Sharks.

Anyone used to hockey at this time of year knows all fans typically feel their team is getting ripped off when it comes to calls going their team's way.

The Sharks absolutely embellish. That doesn't excuse us being undisciplined but to say that they don't embellish for calls is flat out wrong.

Maybe that depends how much hockey you watch. I have been aware of the Sharks diving, embellishing, etc. going back years.

I'm glad that someone else sees it. We're talking the Canucks at their peak bad at embellishing minus the cheap shots and finger biting.

Does anyone have any information in terms of when the penalties were called? It seemed like yesterday we didn't get many calls until the game was already a stinker which is typical of NHL refs to try and make the PP chances look a little closer especially when one team scores 4 friggin' PP goals.

The best part in all of this was the McDavid penalty last night for something that the refs let go when committed against him over 100 times throughout the season. Talk about some irony.

Exactly.

So one team having damn near twice as many PP's is close? Again we have taken some dumb penalties, but the lack of hooking/holding/etc. penalties on the Sharks has been BS while we get some very cheap calls against us.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The Sharks absolutely embellish. That doesn't excuse us being undisciplined but to say that they don't embellish for calls is flat out wrong.

I'm glad that someone else sees it. We're talking the Canucks at their peak bad at embellishing minus the cheap shots and finger biting.

Does anyone have any information in terms of when the penalties were called? It seemed like yesterday we didn't get many calls until the game was already a stinker which is typical of NHL refs to try and make the PP chances look a little closer especially when one team scores 4 friggin' PP goals.

Exactly.

So one team having damn near twice as many PP's is close? Again we have taken some dumb penalties, but the lack of hooking/holding/etc. penalties on the Sharks has been BS while we get some very cheap calls against us.

What Sharks players have ever received a penalty for embellishment?

Only if it's on Couture.

I mean, this is quite immature and ridiculous. Suggesting playing with intent to injure. Really?

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Thread is a joke right now.

Does tmac put mcdavid and drai back together? Will lander lace em up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad