Pre-Game Talk: WCF: Anaheim Ducks vs Chicago Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbleHeadNight*

I get it, their top 6 played better than ours. I agreed our top guys need to play better and they need to score. But please recognize they also need to be put in the best position to succeed and they weren't last night.

They were out played last night, and Q was out coached last night. Unfortunately he out coached himself.

What position would you put the top 6 in to better succeed?

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I was just saying we'll ignore Sharp struggling because he played 1 game with a couple of guys he had a smaller chance of scoring with.

Definitely.

I misunderstood you then.

And yeah, I don't think anyone would disagree with the notion that the big guys need to step up. The soon to be $10.5 million captain needs to start putting pucks in the net.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I get it, their top 6 played better than ours. I agreed our top guys need to play better and they need to score. But please recognize they also need to be put in the best position to succeed and they weren't last night.

They were out played last night, and Q was out coached last night. Unfortunately he out coached himself.

How are they not put in a position to succeed, exactly? (I didn't see the game, so honest question)

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
And you can't grasp a simple concept such as the view from outside the locker room is different than from inside.

Oh please. You have proven that you barely even understand the game. Don't preach to me about the locker room.

You're on a ****ing message board where we criticize and analyze moves. Go to a coach Quenneville fan club site where you can fawn over his every move if you don't want to critically think about the moves being made.

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014
Maybe Vermette will have a monster game on Saturday night now....unless Q benches him for no reason again.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
What a legend. The king of knowing what really goes on in the dressing room.

(damn, got beat to it)

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Q has put himself in a difficult position now. If he changes the lineup back after one game and all the criticism its like admitting he screwed up, I don't know if his ego will allow it. My guess is he will put Vermette back in and shelf Nordstunk. He will keep Verstink in for TT, the kid can't moan about it like Vermette can.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I at least understand putting Versteeg in the lineup, but I still can't believe Nordstrom played last night. There was no reason whatsoever to scratch an important center like Vermette and move Shaw away from wing, so ****ing Nordstrom could play.

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
Q will be fine, it'll get played off as a message-sending benching, and if they win then it's "Look at how he motivated the team!"

I like Q and I can understand most of his moves with young players that a lot of people criticize him for. But my stock on him is pretty much at an all-time low right now.

Your Reality Check

Nov 11, 2013
Chicago
Don't any of the assistant coaches sit down with Q and say "hey, not a good idea with these lines" or are they just Yes men who do what Q says at all times?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Q has put himself in a difficult position now. If he changes the lineup back after one game and all the criticism its like admitting he screwed up, I don't know if his ego will allow it. My guess is he will put Vermette back in and shelf Nordstunk. He will keep Verstink in for TT, the kid can't moan about it like Vermette can.

Its not moaning, its pure testicles to call out an idiot coach for making a boneheaded move that cost the team an important game.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
To paraphrase what I said two series ago, the reason the Hawks are so good from games 4-7 is because it takes that long for Q to get his head out of his ass

He'll roll the same forward lineup from Game 2 on Saturday, fluke into a TVR for the rest of the series and we'll be good to go.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I rarely say anything against Q due to the fact we don't have all the information. I think most of the posts against him this board are utter nonsense.

Unless there is something we are not privy to he screwed up big time last night. I don't get it at all.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
To paraphrase what I said two series ago, the reason the Hawks are so good from games 4-7 is because it takes that long for Q to get his head out of his ass

He'll roll the same forward lineup from Game 2 on Saturday, fluke into a TVR for the rest of the series and we'll be good to go.

Its commonly known that the knowledgeable Hawks fans here usually call out the best lines/moves about 3-4 before Mustache catches up.

PRGeno

May 12, 2015
What position would you put the top 6 in to better succeed?

How are they not put in a position to succeed, exactly? (I didn't see the game, so honest question)

He had the last change and didn't use it. I wrote in my game notes how often I saw the same match ups last night that we saw in Anaheim. For whatever reason he gave Anaheim the match ups they wanted instead of taking advantage of very obvious match up problems he could have forced.

If you want the Toews line to score it would make sense to get them away from the Kesler line. Yet there was Toews and Kesler repeatedly lining up in the face off circle. I would think the Toews line would give the Thompson line fits, but it didn't happen.

If you want to get Kane line going (and they actually were much better last night) get them out there every time against the Ducks 4th line touched the ice. Didn't happen.

If you want to get Sharp going, don't put him with two guys that can't/won't feed him the puck. If he ever wanted to do anything, he had to go get the puck and make something happen by himself. That is blatant misuse of a sniper. The Hawks played 1 on 3 all night long.

Why was the scrambled up 4th line out there at the end of the 2nd period against the Getzlaf line, when it should have been the Toews line finishing off the period tied? I blame Q not Nordstrom or Crawford for that one. They got buried in their own zone for what seemed like forever when Q had the last change on the face off that led up to that disaster. I sat there and told my wife the Ducks were going to score before the end of the period with this match up right before the puck dropped. As soon as it went in she looked at me and said I jinxed them. No I didn't, it was just so predictable.

Look, I've never been a Q basher. He had a bad night, as did the whole the team. They might have lost anyway, but Q cause unnecessary self inflicted wounds. They wasted a great opportunity to take control of the series. It happens, it's over, now they have a must win game on Saturday night.

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014

Let's hope that trend continues.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Well then the clear answer is to replace him with a guy who has 2 goals in his last 28 games or a guy with 1 career NHL goal.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Maybe he's not happy with 1 goal in what, 30 games since he came over for a #1 pick?

First off what he came over for is irrelevant to this discussion.

Second, there are more things to hockey than scoring goals.

Third, I think if you were to poll this board (I know we don't have any clue what is going, but bear with me) on his play in game 2 the majority would say it was good to great.

Fourth, what was Nordstrom going to bring? Scoring? Give me a ****ing break.

Fifth, I don't even want to start on Versteeg's useless ass. He was lightning in a bottle earlier in the season and has been pure trash ever since.

I'm sure none of this matters to you and you will continue to pump Q's tires.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Maybe he's not happy with 1 goal in what, 30 games since he came over for a #1 pick?

If that's his reasoning then there's a lot of other guys in the lineup that could sit. Never mind the fact that he has still contributed in a lot of other ways this round and last. He's a stable, legitimate center who wins faceoffs, is responsible, and allows Shaw to remain a winger where he's been his best as a Blackhawk the first two games of this series.

And Teravainen did absolutely nothing to warrant being sat. Nothing. He's been very good.

Other, very well paid guys do need to step up, no doubt, but there really is no excusing the lineup changes made in last night's game. I'm far from someone who has said much about Q in here, but there's just no logical way to back any of that up last night. None. Especially today in light of finding out there's nothing wrong with either player and a coach who publicly is talking out of both sides of his mouth in response to it all.

All I'll say about it. Have no interest in the back and forth regarding Quenneville that ultimately ensues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad