Pre-Game Talk: WCF: Anaheim Ducks vs Chicago Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lethargytartare

Oct 24, 2014
Magrathea
The move definitely reeked of "smartest guy in the room" syndrome and I said it at the time. The Ducks very well may be better and we will eventually see.

When the Hawks don't ice their optimal lineup it becomes a little harder to tell.

I disagree. It's not hard to tell at all:

Optimal lineup + Rundblad = 1 5v5 goal for, trail 2-1 in 3rd fail to tie game

Optimal Lineup + Cumiskey = 1 5v5 goal for after 116 minutes of hockey and after going scoreless for 110 minutes

Bizarre, stupid, terrible, "fire Q now" lineup = 1 5v5 goal for, trail 2-1 in 3rd, fail to tie game

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I disagree. It's not hard to tell at all:

Optimal lineup + Rundblad = 1 5v5 goal for, trail 2-1 in 3rd fail to tie game

Optimal Lineup + Cumiskey = 1 5v5 goal for after 116 minutes of hockey and after going scoreless for 110 minutes

Bizarre, stupid, terrible, "fire Q now" lineup = 1 5v5 goal for, trail 2-1 in 3rd, fail to tie game

And then there was 2.

If you think 2 away games where a team cannot dictate matchups and a home game where they can with the whole bottom 6 changed are comparable good for you.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
No. Did any of the Ducks defenders when the Hawks were blasting shots from the slot that Anderson was gloving?

You need your goalie to make saves when the D breaks down. Their guy did it better last night.

But don't let me get in the way of the agenda.

It shouldn't have to come down that, but it often does. That's playoff hockey.

Their guy made one better play than ours. That's often the difference in a playoff game - i.e., Lundq giving up a terrible OT goal to lose the other night in an 11 goal game.

Crawford has to make that save. Andersen hasn't given up a weak goal all series and has made some incredible saves.

But it's all moot. Anaheim scored two goals on Tues in 6 periods. They scored two last night at the UC.

4 goals in 9 periods. That should mean two losses.

It shouldn't have come down to that. The offense needs to score. 5 goals in 12 periods including 1 goal scored in two of the three games. Won't be any team doing that.

So, yes, I do blame Crow for going down too early and losing the puck. Moreso I blame the key players - Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Saad and Bickell. Not producing offensively. At all. The above named players have one goal to their credit through three games. That one goal was a fluke that went off a d-man on a PP. Kane did score an amazing goal, but has been a turnover machine all series and he's missed at least 3-4 point blank chances.

Score goals and the Hawks are up 2-1, possibly 3-0.

LysiakHook

May 9, 2014
The Vermette thing is just weird, unless he's hurt or with his wife during her labor or whatever else was rumored. I can think of 4 things off the top of my head that makes sitting him down beyond dumb:

(1) 3rd line had impressive chemistry with Tuevo, Sharp & Vermette;

(2) Excellent at the dot, not unimportant in the WCF;

(3) Wins board battles, which we were terrible at last night;

(4) Allows Shaw to play wing on the 4th line.

That took 5 minutes to think of and type. But he sat. I'm still confused by this.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
So you admit he puts in more effort then #29?

Bickell is a disgrace as a hockey player. It has to be absolutely demoralizing to Hawks players to watch a guy put in so little and simply show up to collect his check

I saw at least two instances (one on back to back possessions) where Bickell literally loafed. In one instance, he had net front presence but was literally standing still

Hate to say it, but I saw a lot of that from Kane last night too.

Tired? They had 10 days off.

I see a lack of production, but also a lack of effort.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Desjardins looked excellent earlier in the playoffs, but aside from that stretch I really don't see a significant difference between him and Nordstrom since he has become a Hawk.

I saw huge differences. Desjardins was active. Getting to pucks. Getting shots thrown at goal.

To me, Nordstrom is just a guy Doesn't really do anything well. Just a guy.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Apparently the other team knows this and is clogging the neutral zone effectively. This is what I expected the Wild to do, frankly.

I agree with whoever said earlier that losses are not just the Hawks beating themselves. These are two of the four best in the league. The other guys are helping the Hawks look bad just as the Hawks are helping them look bad at times.

But the agenda around here is that after every loss, the blame game starts to assuage the raw feelings. Expecting a cup is indeed ridiculous, and smacks of a spoiled fan base.

Perhaps we might need to acknowledge that the Ducks may just be the better team.

That said, the way Tampa is scoring goals, I'm loathe to think that they win the whole thing.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Apparently the other team knows this and is clogging the neutral zone effectively. This is what I expected the Wild to do, frankly.

I agree with whoever said earlier that losses are not just the Hawks beating themselves. These are two of the four best in the league. The other guys are helping the Hawks look bad just as the Hawks are helping them look bad at times.

But the agenda around here is that after every loss, the blame game starts to assuage the raw feelings. Expecting a cup is indeed ridiculous, and smacks of a spoiled fan base.

Not to mention that two of the 6 D men can't do that.

Cumiskey isn't trusted apparently and Timmo just can't do it.

There were a couple of times when he pinched and I thought 'oh God, get back!!!' like I do at my twins' PeeWee games.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wait, what? I thought TVR was shut down after a surgery...?

Oh wait, it's probably just a move to allow him to practice with the other Hogs that got called up.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Glad I missed that game last night.

No comment from me other than, Q crossed the line a little. Only explanation would be Vermette is hurt and TT was too banged up/tired to play. That's about the only excuse that would fly for the changes.
That's crossing the line a little? What's jumping over? Playing Toews on defense?

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN
Before you all ask, I don't know if van Riemsdyk could play. I'm going to say doubtful until we talk to Q later. #Blackhawks

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
And those who are saying game 4 isn't a must win are nuts. In the 2013 Detroit series and 2014 LA series we had home ice, meaning 2 of the last 3 games were in Chicago. We only needed one road win in the last 3 games of those series. We go down 3-1 here we need to win once in our building and twice in Anaheim. Forget it, that won't happen. Game 4 is a must win.

The core of this team has been through so many wars, will be interesting to see if they have it in them to make one more push. Game 4 will be very interesting. And if Q keeps Verstink and Nordscrub out there he should be fired, and I have been a supporter of Q for the most part.

Game 4 IS A must.

The team is different - and older.

Key players aren't scoring and in both 2010 and 2013 'that guy' stepped up. It was Buff in 2010 and Bickell in 2013.

For LA last year it was Gaborik. For Tampa this year it's Tyler Johnson.

The Hawks haven't had anyone step up this series - and that includes the star players.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Perhaps Vermette hurt?

Kruger wasn't taking face offs - shocker - so that suggests maybe he was hurt after the beating he took in game 2.

BobbleHeadNight*

Another thing to consider re: lineup changes that Tracey Myers brought up - Q isn't going to disclose injuries at this point, so his "needed fresh legs" could have been BS because he didn't want the Ducks to know 80 and 86 were dinged.

Christ, they didn't even disclose Roszival's injury until he was announced done for the playoffs.

We may find out a lot more after the playoffs, when all injuries are disclosed. Until then, please resume with the mass firings and benchings.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Another thing to consider re: lineup changes that Tracey Myers brought up - Q isn't going to disclose injuries at this point, so his "needed fresh legs" could have been BS because he didn't want the Ducks to know 80 and 86 were dinged.

Christ, they didn't even disclose Roszival's injury until he was announced done for the playoffs.

We may find out a lot more after the playoffs, when all injuries are disclosed. Until then, please resume with the mass firings and benchings.

He could have said they had a stomach virus that was going around.

BobbleHeadNight*

Oh, and not for nothing...

Versteeg: 7 playoff games 16 SOG, 1 G, 0 A, +1 rating
Teravainen: 8 playoff games, 14 SOG, 1 G, 2 A, 0 rating

I know, just numbers, but people act like Toews was replaced by Carcillo.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
For me it wan't icing VerTurnover and Officer Nordberg for Antoinne Merriwether and T², it was the fact that he belw up the 4th line...you know the one that was actually DOING SOMETHING--like giving the Getzlaf line fits?

So, yeah, if the Ducks are cancelling out lines 1 and 2 at least a strong, 2010 and 2013-esque 4th line that you can play against anyone is a good thing--especially if they get the 3OT winning goal.

So, Q blew it up under the guise of fresh legs. Not the 1st time, Q's gonna Q. But why in the name of Zeus' BUTTHOLE! didn't he get them back together in the 3rd and let Verpass and Nordstrom flounder with Sharp? I mean after all, they were working for the better part of 9 periods.

Q dropped the ball here bigtime--the only consolation is that unlike last year--it didn't cost them the series (at least yet). That's a positive, like Cumiskey actually looking pretty okay, but still, Q just outcoached himself. Can we get Bowman the Elder to have a chat with him like he did in 2010?

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

Teuvo also made a lot of good plays for his linemates. Versteeg has done none of that.

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago

Stats don't accurately portray the disparity between TT and Versteeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad