WCF: (1) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) Chicago Blackhawks - Part III | Series tied at 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your Reality Check

Nov 11, 2013
Chicago
This series has the potential to be Teuvo's coming out party. He gets better every game. It could be the x factor the Hawks need to beat these guys.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Rolling 4 lines isn't a problem at all for them. However the 5th and 6th D-Men is whole other story.

Surprising thing is that the Ducks 3rd pairing is just as suspect as that of the Hawks. While completely different players Timonen and Stoner are a wash. Stoner is more valuable on the PK, Timonen is better with the puck. Stoner is propably more mobile at this point of Timonen's career, but Timonen makes up for it with his high IQ.

Rundblad and Vatanen are both with questionable defensive abilities, though both have proved in Europe and AHL they have offensive ability at least in the lower level pro leagues. Neither have reached a point where their offense would always make them a plus for their teams in every game. I'd give Vatanen the edge due to the points he gets, though Rundblad would also propably have more points playing in the Ducks.

The point here is neither Vatanen or Stoner get their ES minutes due to their abilities on ice. They get them to manage the minutes of the top 4.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Surprising thing is that the Ducks 3rd pairing is just as suspect as that of the Hawks. While completely different players Timonen and Stoner are a wash. Stoner is more valuable on the PK, Timonen is better with the puck. Stoner is propably more mobile at this point of Timonen's career, but Timonen makes up for it with his high IQ.

Rundblad and Vatanen are both with questionable defensive abilities, though both have proved in Europe and AHL they have offensive ability at least in the lower level pro leagues. Neither have reached a point where their offense would always make them a plus for their teams in every game. I'd give Vatanen the edge due to the points he gets, though Rundblad would also propably have more points playing in the Ducks.

The point here is neither Vatanen or Stoner get their ES minutes due to their abilities on ice. They get them to manage the minutes of the top 4.
Did you just compare Runblad with Vatanen? ok...... Vatanen is another level..

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

:laugh:

I wouldn't trade Vatanen for 2 Rundblads and a draft pick

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I'm not a fan of people claiming this about their teams.

If the Hawks lose, it's because they beat themselves.
if the Ducks lose, it's because they beat themselves.

In reality, they're both excellent teams and capable of beating each other on any given night.

agreed.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

Yikes...this is just..wrong.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

You have the strangest vendetta against a good player that I have seen on these boards

bminucci

Nov 7, 2010
Santa Ana, CA

Not even close. There have been quite a few nights the past two years that Vatman was on a tear and was the best defensemen on the ice. Maybe it isn't often, but he is way better than what I have seen of Rundblad.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I love Hampus "Ultra-Magnus" Lindholm game, but he could become even better defensively. He got a large body and excellent physique which he should be able to use more. A few seasons in the toughest league and he'll be a force on the ice (even more than now).

Good on the Ducks to draft him, he was underrated during his junior years by the scouting services, but the ducks did their homework on him.

The Danish goalie Andersen looks real solid. Starting to make a name for himself!

Kesler been really good in this play-offs! Ducks forwards match the Hawks as it seems. I used to hate the Ducks, but now I'm rooting for them.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Unfortunately, I missed the game yesterday.

Are the matchups Kesler-Toews and Getzlaf-Richards/Kane?

I can't imagine Getzlaf losing that matchup over the series, unless Quenneville switches up the lines.

Those were the matchups the Ducks wanted and got more often than not since they were at home. I think Q would like to get the Kane line away from the Getz line. I think that's the one match up the Hawks could struggle with. As good as Kane and that line has been, they can struggle with possession at times and can get pinned in against a line as good as the Getz one is.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
You have the strangest vendetta against a good player that I have seen on these boards

I'm a big fan of Vatanen's abilities on the PP, 4 on 4 hockey and in a situation where the Ducks are behind, but to say he's on a different tier defensively to Rundblad/Timonen isn't correct. He would make the Hawks line-up mainly due to his PP/offensive abilities. He is still a player whose game is valued by the offense he brings, and I don't think against a team like Hawks he will be the best player on the ice, at least in Chicago, at least this year.

Stoner-Vatanen can just easily turn out to be the downfall for the Ducks in Chicago as Timonen-Rundblad in Anaheim. There's no denying that there is a drop off defensive ability after the Ducks top four as was seen in the Calgary series in games played in Calgary.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I'm a big fan of Vatanen's abilities on the PP, 4 on 4 hockey and in a situation where the Ducks are behind, but to say he's on a different tier defensively to Rundblad/Timonen isn't correct. He would make the Hawks line-up mainly due to his PP/offensive abilities. He is still a player whose game is valued by the offense he brings, and I don't think against a team like Hawks he will be the best player on the ice, at least in Chicago, at least this year.

Stoner-Vatanen can just easily turn out to be the downfall for the Ducks in Chicago as Timonen-Rundblad in Anaheim. There's no denying that there is a drop off defensive ability after the Ducks top four as was seen in the Calgary series in games played in Calgary.

Quit while you're behind, man. This is giving both fan bases something to agree on, it's creeping me out lol. Stoner was pretty damn good last night, and Vatanen is good enough to keep Wisniewski as a healthy scratch (Despres' play is a factor in that as well tbf), and Wiz easily plays over both Timonen and Runblad FFS.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I'm pretty disappointed that Getzlaf wasn't able to handle the Richards matchup, especially in Anaheim. The top line needs to be much better, they're going to have to handle at least one of Chicago's top two lines. I'm just hoping it was the down time and Perry's injury getting him off to a slow start.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich

Seriously now?

Stoner is solid in his own end as long as he retrieves the puck and either throws the puck out of the zone or gives it to Vatanen. He's also a great net front presence as he can clear the crease with efficiency. As long as he doesn't try to carry the puck out of the zone, he's just fine. Not to mention that he has been a beast in the last playoffs and is showing it again this year.

Vatanen is, despite his small frame, a great presence and surprisingly physical with his style of defense. He's a good skater and great at chasing the forwards around and he forces some mistakes with that. Not to mention that he's fantastic with the puck and has a great outlet pass.

They have great synergy and definitely are one of the better third pairings in the league. There is a reason why the Ducks can easily afford to scratch a player like Wisniewski.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

This I agree with, simply because they're our worst pairing. That doesn't mean they're as bad as what the hawks trot out as a third pairing, at all.

You're also ignoring that that pair was very good against Winnipeg, including on the road.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I was looking forward to a Getzlaf-Toews matchup. Toews vs. Kesler is OK I guess, but 1C v. 1C is much more intriguing. Wonder if the Hawks will try to get Kane away from Getzlaf.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Your first paragraph is fine other than the stuff about being on the same tier defensively as Rundblad/Timonen. I still disagree with you though.

How in the world can Stoner-Vatanen be as bad as Timonen and Rundblad ?

Timonen played 5 minutes yesterday, Rundblad played 10 and almost single handily cost the Hawks two goals.

Vatanen played 20+ minutes yesterday and looked fine. Having a player on the bottom pairing that can play those minutes takes pressure off the top 4. The Hawks don't have that player and in game 1 it cost them

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Your first paragraph is fine other than the stuff about being on the same tier defensively as Rundblad/Timonen. I still disagree with you though.

How in the world can Stoner-Vatanen be as bad as Timonen and Rundblad ?

Timonen played 5 minutes yesterday, Rundblad played 10 and almost single handily cost the Hawks two goals.

Vatanen played 20+ minutes yesterday and looked fine. Having a player on the bottom pairing that can play those minutes takes pressure off the top 4. The Hawks don't have that player and in game 1 it cost them

Yep, proof is in the pudding.

If the Hawks had a third pairing as good as Anaheim's...they would have been played close to twenty minutes each.

Instead both of them combined played less than Vatanen.

It is indeed Anaheim's weakest pairing, although I thought Stoner had his best game in a Duck uniform on Sunday.

The lack of a legitimate third pairing for Chicago is def. going to be a major factor in this series. I believe the Hawks can win in this scenario still, although it will be very difficult. The third pairing allows the top guys to get some much needed rest...the Hawks just don't have that luxury right now.

I'm not talking about Keith...he can clearly handle big minutes. Seabrook, Jammers, Oduya...can they handle it? We shall see. I do believe their effectiveness as the game wore on lessened.

Excited for tomorrow!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad