WCF: (1) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) Chicago Blackhawks - Part III | Series tied at 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Continued from http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1894767

Knock it off with the trolling and flaming. Anymore and you'll receive an infraction and be removed from the discussion.

Last warning, no more trashing/complaining about fans of the other team. Thread bans and infractions will follow.

If you can't accept the notion that Hawks fans think their team will win while Ducks fans think their team will win, stick to your own team's board.

Your Reality Check

Nov 11, 2013
Chicago
As I think about it some more, I don't think Kane was that bad, more like average. As a Hawks fan he just spoils me too much so I expect greatness every game. He was bad by his standards but he didn't go about the game wetting himself like Toews and Perry did.

Hawks fans and myself might of underestimated Kessler. He doesn't have that loser aura to deal with when he played for the Nucks and he looks like a man on a mission. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Nothingman*

Ducks awesome.

Ducks 'thugs' cannot be handled by Hawks

Blackhawks not awesome.

Carry on.....

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Seems weird that a lot of our fans are supremely confident after that win. That first period is still burned into my brain, even if we were a lot better in the second half of the game. Hopefully for our sake it was just inexperience/shell-shock and we can move on after ******** our pants for a little bit. If we have a few more sloppy periods like that it's going to be a rough go.

The style of play was pretty much what I expected though. Hawks holding on to the puck for long stretches and pushing the pace of play with the Ducks playing more of a counter-punch defensive style. It is probably our best chance at taking the series since we can't match the transition/passing ability of Chicago. If we can keep forechecking like crazy and get quick outlet passes then we have a good chance. If we let them float through the neutral zone constantly and make an endless amount of defensive turnovers like we did for long stretches in game 1, then... we all know how that will go.

Boot

Oct 20, 2010
Seems weird that a lot of our fans are supremely confident after that win. That first period is still burned into my brain, even if we were a lot better in the second half of the game. Hopefully for our sake it was just inexperience/shell-shock and we can move on after ******** our pants for a little bit. If we have a few more sloppy periods like that it's going to be a rough go.

The style of play was pretty much what I expected though. Hawks holding on to the puck for long stretches and pushing the pace of play with the Ducks playing more of a counter-punch defensive style. It is probably our best chance at taking the series since we can't match the transition/passing ability of Chicago. If we can keep forechecking like crazy and get quick outlet passes then we have a good chance. If we let them float through the neutral zone constantly and make an endless amount of defensive turnovers like we did for long stretches in game 1, then... we all know how that will go.

They've had a lot of lulls over the last month or two, and they're playing a series now against a much more skilled opponent. A bit of rust isn't that worrying, as long as the next game starts better.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Ducks awesome.

Ducks 'thugs' cannot be handled by Hawks

Blackhawks not awesome.

Carry on.....

Ya, come one guys, lets give the hawks some Respect...

Happy the ducks got the win, but definitely a slow start, and the first time in the postseason the ducks were not controlling the play for an extended period of time. They were much better in the 2nd and 3rd, but i genuinely thought this was their poorest played game of the postseason, so always good when you can gut out a win without your A game.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
^ yeah the first period and I'd argue parts of the second, the Ducks played like they thought a win would come easily. Good as Freddie was, I don't see him going full Giguere at any point for too long. The first period was absolutely owned by the Hawks who only trailed cause of a miscue. The second the Ducks weathered the Hawks storm a little more and were able to get more zone time but I still give the edge to the Hawks in that period. Third period was when the Hawks were pretty much taken out of their game and Anaheim found a way to play theirs. I was especially happy with that period because by all accounts, Chicago SHOULD have had the momentum. They grabbed a goal late in the second and got two early powerplays. That could've easily been their ticket back to some dominant hockey, but the Ducks kept it together. I think their confidence grew as Andersen continued to perform so I really hope Andersen keeps it together.

But either way, by no means am I overconfident in the Ducks. The overall play was as you said the weakest we've seen so far in these playoffs so I have no airs about expecting a win in game 2. I'm just hoping for one. Or at least if there's a loss, at least let it be because the Hawks overcame some good hockey by the Ducks.

As I think about it some more, I don't think Kane was that bad, more like average. As a Hawks fan he just spoils me too much so I expect greatness every game. He was bad by his standards but he didn't go about the game wetting himself like Toews and Perry did.

Hawks fans and myself might of underestimated Kessler. He doesn't have that loser aura to deal with when he played for the Nucks and he looks like a man on a mission. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Happens to all stars. And I don't mean the guys that dress for an irrelevant game every winter. I mean even guys like Crosby, Ovi, Malkin, etc. have games where they don't have the kind of impact we all know they can. I still expect Kane to be a proper threat the whole way through.

As for Kesler, the man is clearly on a mission. I really think he buys into what his new team is selling, he appears to be comfortable with his teammates and where he lives, it's working out for both parties IMO. He might not be as offensively adept, but he does what needs to be done in his role and he's probably the best 2c we've had since Getzlaf played on that line.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think the evolving story will be how many minutes can the Hawks top four defenders maintain without a loss of quality in their performance? As great as of defenseman as Duncan Keith is we've seen all-time greats like Orr and Coffey worn down by opposing forwards physically punishing them every time they handle the puck, which is a lot when one plays 25-30 minutes every game.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Besides the one big hit on Seabrook, I thought Getzlaf and Perry were invisble yesterday. Getzlaf giveaway that led to Kane's scoring chance... aboslutely horrendous. Defintely worst game of the post season for them.

But there is in lies the beauty, that was easily the worst period we played the post season and we survived. We'll be sharper.

The downside is Chicago will be more motivated and shaper as well. They won't want to get down against us again.

Both teams are so good defensively, this may be a contest of who scores first.

DuckJazz

Jan 11, 2014
Chicago will have to find a way to roll 3 D-pairings and 4 lines, or they just won't have the legs for this series. The way coach Q handles Timonen is a joke.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Toews/Kane and Getzlaf/Perry will all be a lot better tomorrow, you'd have to expect

jferguson

Jun 6, 2012
Calgary AB
Other than Getz throwing around Hjalmersson, Hossa, and Seabrook, that top line looked pretty bad. Cog's speed was a treat to watch. Caused a lot of ruckus with it.

I dont expect Kane to miss another chance like that, we have to calm down on the turnovers.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Other than Getz throwing around Hjalmersson, Hossa, and Seabrook, that top line looked pretty bad. Cog's speed was a treat to watch. Caused a lot of ruckus with it.

I dont expect Kane to miss another chance like that, we have to calm down on the turnovers.

He's so much more valuable than his stat-line suggests

jford

Apr 21, 2015
Besides the one big hit on Seabrook, I thought Getzlaf and Perry were invisble yesterday. Getzlaf giveaway that led to Kane's scoring chance... aboslutely horrendous. Defintely worst game of the post season for them.

Unfortunately, I missed the game yesterday.

Are the matchups Kesler-Toews and Getzlaf-Richards/Kane?

I can't imagine Getzlaf losing that matchup over the series, unless Quenneville switches up the lines.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I think a lot of people, especially those who are fast asleep on the east coast by 7:30 west coast time, don't realize that the Ducks really have enough speed and their D is very mobile.

Basically the Ducks have been ripping off a lot of teams with their recent trades, starting with Silfverberg for Ryan+, and ending with Despres for Lovejoy... and no more Allen. These aren't the post cup Burke's Ducks!

The only team left on the planet that can beat the Ducks are the Ducks. If they can just play 60 minutes of hard hockey, all will be good. The Winnipeg series was the most intense I have seen them play in forever. Unfortunately too many times I've watched them zone out for a period or two and then try to pull it out in the 3rd.

John

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

I can't imagine Getzlaf losing that matchup over the series, unless Quenneville switches up the lines.
Kane saw more of the 3rd line than the 1st, though both were used.

PRGeno

May 12, 2015
^ As for Kesler, the man is clearly on a mission. I really think he buys into what his new team is selling, he appears to be comfortable with his teammates and where he lives, it's working out for both parties IMO. He might not be as offensively adept, but he does what needs to be done in his role and he's probably the best 2c we've had since Getzlaf played on that line.

Kesler knows he now has an actual team around him.

The Canucks were always paper tigers. Kesler was the only real deal on those teams. It had to be so frustrating for him to have the Sedins as their so called team leaders which formed the weak personality of those teams. There is no comparison between this Ducks team's talent AND mental fortitude with any of those mentally weak and overrated Vancouver teams.

I'm sure Kesler has not only bought in, but is the happiest and most confident in his teammates that he's ever been in his NHL career. With all due respect to Getlzaf I think Kesler wouldn't be out of place as the Ducks captain eventually. I've absolutely loved this guy since he came into the league.

That all said, I hope and still expect the Hawks will beat his new team just like they did his old ones.

PRGeno

May 12, 2015
I think the evolving story will be how many minutes can the Hawks top four defenders maintain without a loss of quality in their performance? As great as of defenseman as Duncan Keith is we've seen all-time greats like Orr and Coffey worn down by opposing forwards physically punishing them every time they handle the puck, which is a lot when one plays 25-30 minutes every game.

This is without a doubt the primary weakness the Hawks have. They have overcome it before, and it will be very interesting to see if they can do it again.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I can imagine the knee is bothering Perry quite a bit. Bruce can say what he wants, a knee doesn't bend like that without any damage.

PRGeno

May 12, 2015
Chicago will have to find a way to roll 3 D-pairings and 4 lines, or they just won't have the legs for this series. The way coach Q handles Timonen is a joke.

Rolling 4 lines isn't a problem at all for them. However the 5th and 6th D-Men is whole other story.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Both fan-bases have got some completely over the top irritating posters. It goes both ways, for every arrogant Ducks fan claiming a series victory already there is a Hawks fan crying about how the Ducks didn't deserve to win.

Nothingman*

I thought the Hawks were on Kesler's shortlist of teams as well. But Nucks wanted TT so that was a no go. He seems like he has an extra step on Anaheim when not all the weight is put on him. He has more complimentary pieces around him now.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
The only team left on the planet that can beat the Ducks are the Ducks.

I'm not a fan of people claiming this about their teams.

If the Hawks lose, it's because they beat themselves.
if the Ducks lose, it's because they beat themselves.

In reality, they're both excellent teams and capable of beating each other on any given night.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Boudreau started with Getzlaf/Richards, but after Getzlaf sucked for the 1st 30 minutes switched to Thompson/Richards and Getzlaf/Vermette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad