Pre-Game Talk: WC Qualifier: (5) Edmonton Oilers vs. (12) Chicago Blackhawks

What will be the most important factor in the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers fans are damn worried about this series. Trying to knock everyone down a peg on our team is how the fans are handling the pressure.

That place is going to implode if Edmonton loses
You are likely on the wrong board but I agree. This will be a close series. I dont know why some here feel that we need to destroy the opposition. Sure McDavid will be driven and pumped up but a case can be made for everyone else on either team. Just sit back and enjoy what should be a great mini series.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Oilers fans are damn worried about this series. Trying to knock everyone down a peg on our team is how the fans are handling the pressure.

For myself I’m not actually worried. Hawks are a garbage team. Worst defense in the league. If the Oilers lose the series it will be more of a self implosion than anything the Hawks did.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I feel optimistic and I trust our team to give their best effort. They are good enough to pull through it. Best of five is still not series where lucky bounce can make greatest difference. Poor officiating is the thing which makes me most nervous, if anything.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Washington at least constantly made it into playoffs and usually won the first round.
St Louis also came in as the hottest team in the league and rode that momentum all the way.
I feel like all teams going in cold, high skill experience teams will win the day in the first few rounds. Teams that rely on systems play (like us) will struggle.
We do have McDavid and Draisaitl and hopefully they can take another step forward and dominate. But really outside of those two RNH and Yamamoto the team really isn't that skilled and I think that may hurt us.
The series will be all about goaltending and if McDavid and Draisaitl pop off like that have previously.

We at least know from our last playoffs that Draisaitl can absolutely step it up and carry this team around, McDavid hasn't done that yet. Still blows my mind that our only playoff run Letestu out produced McDavid.

We have way more skill than the Hawks.

The only way I see the Oilers losing this series is if the goaltending absolutely craps the bed.

Reactions: Porkleaker

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We have way more skill than the Hawks.

The only way I see the Oilers losing this series is if the goaltending absolutely craps the bed.
Our top end skill is better but they have more skill top to bottom. Their third line center is either Strome or Dach, ours is Khaira or Sheahan, for example.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Message to the mods. Whenever I go to another team's forum and try making posts like this, I get a warning and my post gets deleted pretty fast.

Why is this post still up? This guys posts regularly in the Chicago forum. He just comes here to cause problems.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I won't quote that guy's post but yes some Oilers fans are worried. Our team's playoff chances went from 96% to 50% because Gary (and likely NBC) wanted to give a shitty Blackhawks team a second chance to get in.

Last edited:

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I have a feeling in an empty arena the refs might make better calls. Maybe Connor might draw a penalty or two.

....Or we can pipe in the "refs you suck" track and piss them off like we always do :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
At least we have history on our side going 3-1 all time against them in the playoffs. They swept us in '92 in the Conference final the last time they met.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Message to the mods. Whenever I go to another team's forum and try making posts like this, I get a warning and my post gets deleted pretty fast.

Why is this post still up? This guys posts regularly in the Chicago forum. He just comes here to cause problems.

A lot of clean up here goes on. heh, I was even on this kind of patrol along with @Bryanbryoil for a year and let me tell you that its a whacamole game. As fast as you clean up aisle nine several other aisles are messed up and pillaged. Then theres times where you don't check one evening, come back and theres literally 100's of posts that are inappropriate. So that you end up just closing threads and cleaning it out with lysol...Occasionally you bomb a thread to white out never existed. Delete thread function exists, albeit record of it could still be found..

Anyway the task is never ending and a dynamic is that there are more US team fans that love to crap on Canadian clubs and fans of Canadian clubs tend to crap on each other, and not generally US clubs. Which puts us squarely in the washroom...

just meaning to be helpful with this and explain something.

The best practice I've found is that if you are at all a hothead like me just avoid most out of town boards altogether. Or if you go just read for strictly comic enjoyment. Calgary boards are always good for that..;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is how I knew you were on the wrong team forum. This one implodes win or lose
I've sometimes found that if one must respond a cathartic choice is to obliterate the post. For instance the post is wide open. It states that "if Edmonton loses it will Implode"

Chicago is imploding on and off the ice and regardless of the result of this series.

Game. Set. Match.

Now that can be viewed as unkind comment but its in response to suspicious visitor posting here..

I pick us. Rather be here, any day of the week.

There, feels good, and I should be allowed to post this in defense on THIS board. heh

But it exposes a reason for 95% of trolling which can be boiled down to the primary ingredient of jealousy. If somebody is shit posting us its because we're in their heads. Probably all pissed off that we again have a couple of the best players in the hockey world on the same club.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So just watching a bit of the replays once in awhile if they happen to be on. Noticing some glitches in the "fan crowd" noises (more detectable on a surround sound setup and when they score goals or goalies make a good save is when these are most used. Except they often sound like on/off responses. Somebody presses a button and fan noise starts and stops. Hilariously Oilers score a goal, at home(heh) and theres 1.3secs of fan noise, all of a sudden stops to silence. Calgary scores and Cassie Campbell is banging on the fan noise button and hooting and hollering so hard you can hear her shrill vocal cords pierce the rink..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad