Pre-Game Talk: WC Qualifier: (5) Edmonton Oilers vs. (12) Chicago Blackhawks

What will be the most important factor in the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm usually pretty PC, so this may be offside for some. But I actually think the context and depiction of the logo matters.

In the case of Chicago: you've got an Indigenous person in (partial) headdress and looking stoic, brave, serious... to be respected and honored. Perhaps it comes from lore of a bygone era, but at least the artist was depicting the figure as a symbol of respect. In that sense it is similar to depicting "the samurai" or "knights". It can be conjuring respect, strength and... emblematic of the types of imagery that you want to unify a sports team.

In the case of Cleveland: you have a characature that is friendly looking, but deliberately cartoonish. No one can say for sure what the artist was going for, but "to be respected, revered, feared on the battle/sports field" was probably not high on the list.

The Columbus Blue Jackets for example have a third logo where a soldier is carrying a flag in a very "bayonet" type of positioning. Is this ok? or not? The Vegas Knights logo clearly presents a Knight's helmet.

I certainly understand the concept of "subjugation", and Cleveland crosses that line for me... but when is it ok to also have respect and admiration for the past? Is that only reserved for those we perceive to be the ultimate "winners"... thus Kings (mostly gone), Senators (Rome fell), and Knights (not the same as it used to be) all seem to be ok. It's ok to be inspired by the might and power of those images, but not Blackhawks? Seems a bit ethnocentric to me.

So I suppose it depends on what one sees in the logo. And I appreciate I shouldn't have a vote. The vote should go to the Potawatomie, Ojibwa and other people who identify with that region.

I think the argument would be none of those groups were almost wiped out by the ancestors of the people now using the names. Hard to separate the history of Indigenous sports logos from the history of Indigenous people.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
To little to no success. He is also terrible at faceoffs
Well if he continues having little to no success on the wing here as he has so far you’ve gotta change something. We have gaping hole there and it could be an opportunity to get him going.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
For those of you with the attention spans of a gnat ;)

TLDR: AA and Chiasson are players that have overachieved and can perform well when playing with good players. They are decent complimentary players but cannot do anything carrying or driving on their own.
Haha, thanks. I appreciate that.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I'd really like to see Nygard draw in. Does anybody know what his status is? He's got incredible speed, is a feisty player, I think he's the kind of guy that could excel when games get tight, as they do in the playoffs.

Nygard/Sheahan/Archibald was a very effective line for us for a time.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I'd really like to see Nygard draw in. Does anybody know what his status is? He's got incredible speed, is a feisty player, I think he's the kind of guy that could excel when games get tight, as they do in the playoffs.

He will draw in when someone drops the ball. AA...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

He's our secret weapon! :P

The latest thing I can find about him is an article from July 19th. Tippett says that Nygard's hand isn't sore anymore but he isn't fully comfortable with the puck yet. So, idk what that translates to today. I would have thought with that kind of review we would have seen him against Calgary just to let him get a feel.

But maybe he's just not 100% yet. Also, we added Ennis and Anathasiou since he was injured, with AA in Nygard's usual spot so maybe Nygard is simply healthy scratched.

I am confident he will get game time in the playoffs. If things faulter, he'd go right in. Even if things don't, the schedule is compressed and I suspect anyone with depth as good as Nygard would rotate him in. With his skating, and also fresh vs tired, he'd stand out

Reactions: replacement

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt Khaira is in much danger. I think our strategy will be to play very heavy. Invite the refs to turn it into a special teams match up, and if they put the whistles away, we would get away with bullying them.

If the Calgary game is any indication, that's the idea I think. Even Drai was looking for borderline hits that game. I recall some Hawks fans remarking that we play dirty, which they would complain about as that team is soft as butter. Although I could imagine Keith going full Daniel Sedin on someone so we best be a bit careful.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
AA so- far reminds me of Eberle in 2017 Playoffs. Just kinda floats around , not engaged or doing a whole lot.

I’m hoping he can get going sooner than later because someone like AA could be an X factor in the series .

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I find looking at raw point totals to decide where a player goes isn't the best. So I decided to look at their 5v5 numbers.
Chiasson drops down to 70th in 5v5 points and 59th in goals. Doesn't change much about him but it does put him in 3rd liner territory still.

Athanasiou drops to 40th in points but raises to 15th in goals.

I decided to look at goal scoring rates to see if that changed anything. I put in a caveat for 1000min so a guy who has played at least a full season in those 3 would qualify.

Athanasiou jump to 28th in Points/60 and 8th in Goals/60

Going back to Chiasson... he drops down to 90th in Points/60 and 56th in goals /60.

Then I decided hey lets look at Expected Goals For/60...

Chiasson sits at 100 and Athanasiou is 105.

What this tells me is both Chiasson and Athanasiou both have over achieved probably due to line mates, which, there is nothing wrong with that. It shows that they are very much complimentary players and both need linemates better than them to achieve what they have achieved. Which is fine.

Chiasson can be a good third liner, probably needs at least a decent 3c (not a Khaira or Sheahan) and Athanasiou can fit in the top 6 as well.
It shows me you have too much time on your hands.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
AA so- far reminds me of Eberle in 2017 Playoffs. Just kinda floats around , not engaged or doing a whole lot.

I’m hoping he can get going sooner than later because someone like AA could be an X factor in the series .

Bruh he hasn't played a playoff game yet so how is he like Eberle from the 2017 playoffs?

Reactions: TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd take it TBH.

Yeah, this corona format is kind of a win win for the Oilers.
Of course I would much MUCH rather them beat the Hawks and go on a run but losing to them and moving up several spots in the draft at the worst while having a 12.5% chance of getting Lafraniere isn't the worst consolation prize in the world. In some ways, this format benefits the Oilers and Pens the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad