WC QROUND: May 8 GDT - Canada vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
kolanos said:
Replacing Habscheid would be a good first step. Brent Sutter anyone? :help:

If only there was time to make those kinds of adjustments...
I know one thing Brent Sutter would be flogging Jovo...I'm from RedDeer...so I know his style/wrath!!
But its too late to look back now...we'll have to battle with what we've got...Today we finally had a couple d-men making some positive steps...Redden and Phillips were solid I thought. 61 continues to :eek: me and the team has been awakened to just how tough these opponents are...Both the Finns and Sweden were quite physical...I wonder if Russia/Slovakia are like this?
At any rate...we still can't bank on anything...

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
3-3 good result for finland. But as in USA match they threw away the win.

Turning point was undoutably the ref's massive error in blowing his whistle on that disallowed goal. For christs sakes, he was stood next to the puck. Finland would have gone 3-0 up if he'd got that right.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Jokerit Wasp said:
Turning point was undoutably the ref's massive error in blowing his whistle on that disallowed goal. For christs sakes, he was stood next to the puck. Finland would have gone 3-0 up if he'd got that right.

Technically, it should have been a goal because the whistle shouldn't have blown. But the Finns were lucky there wasn't a penalty on the play since Nash was crosschecked from behind into Luongo.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Finally a solid game by Finland. Except that 1minute at 3rd period.
Väänänen, Kukkonen and Söderholm played a great game at D. :jump:

Still our 2nd line is the only line that can but pressure on enemy land.

Well, Latvia is must win and hopefully Swedes will win USA so we are third.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
canada missing that edge - not as sharp , crisp - it's coming though - it's wild how nash keeps getting chances - great stick - as for the guys who haven't played this year - can they get to that - other gear? eddie pick er up

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Really surprised me to see Finland dominate the game physically, Doan, Draper and Hannan were totally crushed by heavy hits, hell I think I saw even Nummelin hit someone (though I'm not sure if the opponent noticed).

Style like that will work well against Latvia.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
There just doesn't seem to be much chemistry on this team yet - usually the boys gel by now. Maybe it has to do with most of the players being the "same friccin guy" - Marleau, Morrison, Walker, Fischer, Morrow, Doan, Draper, Maltby, etc.

Don't get me wrong, their all super skaters, and can pop in goals, but teams need a good mix. In these tourney, CDA usually ices two lines for pure scoring, one line of good two-ways, and one ugly muck line.

Be nice to have one more Karya-like game-breaker over there.... :propeller

alexstream

Apr 30, 2003
forums.habsworld.net
Rocky Saginuts said:
There just doesn't seem to be much chemistry on this team yet - usually the boys gel by now. Maybe it has to do with most of the players being the "same friccin guy" - Marleau, Morrison, Walker, Fischer, Morrow, Doan, Draper, Maltby, etc.

Don't get me wrong, their all super skaters, and can pop in goals, but teams need a good mix. In these tourney, CDA usually ices two lines for pure scoring, one line of good two-ways, and one ugly muck line.

Be nice to have one more Karya-like game-breaker over there.... :propeller

Totally right about that, even the top players (thornton) are similar to the checkers you listed

Also
The D choices is very questionable
Many players haven't played for a year, I think we should have looked at game shape players. e.g. Brodeur sucked against Sweden, Theo would have been way better, ordinarly Brodeur is better, but if we had given The starter job to theo right off the bat, we would be safer in goals. Theo didn't wanna be the odd man out there (3rd goalie)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
kolanos said:
The Finns are getting away with a lot in this game. Heatley was just raked/hooked down on a break, no call.

In the first period, Finland wasnt even getting away with clean hitting, let alone anything else. Canada definitely benefitted from the shaky ref, but the maple leaf jersey usually has that effect one refs everywhere. Canada is just so powerfull also in the cabinets (Nash hooking the ref without punishment?).

But I have seen much worse refereeing in these world champs, this game did not even feel so bad. Finland only lost one goal because of it...unfortunately that measures up as "decent refereeing" in these world champs.
:shakehead

Nice game though, 3-3 sounds about right. Finland created more scoring chances, but they are never really good in capitalizing their chances...and Canada is.

Oh yeah, Bäcks went down too fast in that tying goal. He would have taken it standing up, but seems he is dropping too fast all the time. Strange that other teams can't use it better against us.

Last edited:

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
alexstream said:
Totally right about that, even the top players (thornton) are similar to the checkers you listed

Also
The D choices is very questionable
Many players haven't played for a year, I think we should have looked at game shape players. e.g. Brodeur sucked against Sweden, Theo would have been way better, ordinarly Brodeur is better, but if we had given The starter job to theo right off the bat, we would be safer in goals. Theo didn't wanna be the odd man out there (3rd goalie)
"Choices" ???? !!! The guys who are playing are on the team by "acclimation" this is what was available...there should be no 2nd guessing on our roster...this is all that we could get...and we will have to make it work somehow!! :jump:

Captain Leaf

We could of grabbed Dion ,Seabrooke ,Green and Barker from the WHL and WJC team . ;)

alexstream

Apr 30, 2003
forums.habsworld.net
Everest said:
"Choices" ???? !!! The guys who are playing are on the team by "acclimation" this is what was available...there should be no 2nd guessing on our roster...this is all that we could get...and we will have to make it work somehow!! :jump:

A LOT of talented forwards were not CHOSEN to go on that team. We already had enough checkers, I don't understand the addition of 3-4 more checkers... we should have gone with pure offensive skills instead, gamebreakers, etc.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Captain Leaf said:
We could of grabbed Dion ,Seabrooke ,Green and Barker from the WHL and WJC team . ;)
:biglaugh:

Nopes, Canada wants a real team and not a junior team nowadays. They don't want to be outplayed by the Ukraines and Latvias etc.

Captain Leaf

That Canadian World Junior team would probably go undefeated in this tourney :clap:
The most dominant WJC team ..EVER!!!

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Captain Leaf said:
That Canadian World Junior team would probably go undefeated in this tourney :clap:

I hope you're joking.

Have any of those guys played against men?

If not, the most likely is that at least half of them would come out injured, and the other half would come out with deflated egoes and decide to quit playing hockey.

Captain Leaf

Probably most of them would of been playing with men this year ..if the greedy SOBS coulda got a season going :cry:

Macman

May 15, 2004
mattihp said:

I hope you're joking.

Have any of those guys played against men?

If not, the most likely is that at least half of them would come out injured, and the other half would come out with deflated egoes and decide to quit playing hockey.

Ya never heard of Patrice Bergeron playing with the Bruins or winning gold at last year's worlds?

Jeff Carter is tearing it up in the AHL playoffs now. And if not for the lockout, Carter, Getzlaf, Phaneuf, Stewart and maybe Richards and Weber would all have been in the NHL this year. That was an exceptional junior team, the best ever, and very big, so I seriously doubt they'd come out of it injured. Playing at the worlds en masse is crazy, but I don't think Carter and Phaneuf would look out of place, and obviously Bergeron. Hell, look at Nash. He still young enough to be playing in the OHL.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Captain Leaf said:
Probably most of them would of been playing with men this year ..if the greedy SOBS coulda got a season going :cry:
But they haven't been. It would be too much of a transition to go straight to the men's world champs. One or two to ease in to the team wouldn't been too wrong... But Canada would've gotten the harder bit of european press for playing "kids".

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Captain Leaf said:

It's a nice fantasy, but has absolutely no foundation of realism. Junior team of any country would not do well at all on this level, even though they have individuals who can already play along in mens league.

Macman

May 15, 2004
psycho_dad said:

It's a nice fantasy, but has absolutely no foundation of realism. Junior team of any country would not do well at all on this level, even though they have individuals who can already play along in mens league.

I think it depends on what you mean by `would not do well.' The Canadian junior team would definitely have made the qualification round because they would beat Slovenia and I think they'd take Latvia as well.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Macman said:
I think it depends on what you mean by `would not do well.' The Canadian junior team would definitely have made the qualification round because they would beat Slovenia and I think they'd take Latvia as well.

They would have made it to the 2nd round by beating slovenia, but Latvia more than likely would have kicked their asses hard. You are underestimating Latvia a bit too much here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad