WC QROUND: May 8 GDT - Canada vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streaker-man

Oct 7, 2004
Finland
My confidence for Bäckström is back again. He had no chance on those goals. Luongo was suprisingly shaky. Made important saves at times but didn´t convince me.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Everest said:
I think our goaltending must get back in shape...Luongo was a very PINK panther today> :innocent:

LOL. So the question becomes who will take this team to gold, Brodeur or Luongo.

I say put Brodeur in against Ukraine to build up some confidence, and ride him as far as he goes.

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Well, I was utterly wrong in my prediction (what makes me reeally happy :) ). Canada didn´t have some sloppy night yesterday, this team Canada just isn´t what I believed it to be. Wouldn´t surprise me at all if one of the Slav teams throws them out in quarterfinals.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Tricolore#20 said:
LOL. So the question becomes who will take this team to gold, Brodeur or Luongo.

I say put Brodeur in against Ukraine to build up some confidence, and ride him as far as he goes.

Gotto ask. Why didn't the Team Canada management pick a few goalies that had been playing during the season? And Turco doesn't count, he played like 5 games and then went home.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
An exciting game. Too bad the Finns succumbed to their age-old sin again, and stopped skating after 3-1. That gave Canada momentum and space and two quick goals. A tie is still an ok result from this team, considering the injuries.

Streaker-man

Oct 7, 2004
Finland
Riddarn said:
Gotto ask. Why didn't the Team Canada management pick a few goalies that had been playing during the season? And Turco doesn't count, he played like 5 games and then went home.

Yeah that´s what I was thinking too. And Modano also in team USA. A total tourist. Ok one goal against Finland but he should have scored there no matter how long his holiday had been.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Riddarn said:

I think Theodore was asked but said no. Who else played, Fred Brathwaite? I don't think he's the answer. Canada had to go with Brodeur and Luongo, even if they hadn't play. They're not the problem. The Canadian defence is non-existent and the forwards aren't picking up their checks. There's no intensity to this team, for some reason, and the coaches better come up with answer soon.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Riddarn said:

They were going to ask Jose Theodore, but he declined because of a groin injury, and the death of his grandmother. Personally, I think that Theo knew that Brodeur and Luongo would be played ahead of him, despite the fact that he actually played this year, thus he declined. Brodeur was heralded as the starter immediately after he declared he would accept the invite. I suppose that this irked Theodore somewhat, and he declined as a result.

This is purely conjecture and speculation on my part, but knowing how competitive Theodore is, it wouldn't surprise me.

Which other Canadian goalies played in Europe this year? I know Roloson played in Finland, Cloutier played some in Austria. Brathwaite played (backup) for AK Bars Any others?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Finland is lacking quality goaltending, Bäckström simply isn't winning us games at the moment. Nurminen looked so fat & buffed during the interview that he must have been hitting the sauce pretty hard during the vacation, he's in no shape.

SChan*

3-3 is good for finland, but they must been disappointed to blow a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Pepper said:
Finland is lacking quality goaltending, Bäckström simply isn't winning us games at the moment. Nurminen looked so fat & buffed during the interview that he must have been hitting the sauce pretty hard during the vacation, he's in no shape.
He drinks a lot of beer baby! Hehe, he took a bus in Malmö and slammed it into the arena :D

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
An Ape called Yoko said:
He drinks a lot of beer baby! Hehe, he took a bus in Malmö and slammed it into the arena :D

Thats so priceless, and it just had to be in Malmö.. :joker:

SChan*

as of now it seems that Canada will play slovakia in the quarterfinal with the swedes going to draw the swiss. USA/Finland will play Czech /Russia

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Pepper said:

Come on! When doesn't Cartman look fat & buffed :D

arumiat

Aug 21, 2004
London - UK
SectionX said:
as of now it seems that Canada will play slovakia in the quarterfinal with the swedes going to draw the swiss. USA/Finland will play Czech /Russia

we can live with that. Should be a sail through to the semis (*remembers belarus and touches wood*). No avoiding big guns there though..

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
SectionX said:
How do you figure that? I'm thinking WE get Czech Rep in quarter finals??? :jump:

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Everest said:
How do you figure that? I'm thinking WE get Czech Rep in quarter finals??? :jump:

That would happen if Canada finished 4th in the qualifying round (and Czechs finish first). It's still up in the air, I would wager. But I think Czechs will finish first in their pool, we may finish 2nd or 3rd in ours (I doubt we'll be 4th, thus preventing a Czech matchup in the Quarterfinal). So that means either the Slovaks or the Russians (whoever is 3rd or 2nd respectively, in their group)?

Am I right or wrong?

Last edited:

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Tricolore#20 said:
That would happen if Canada finished 4th in the qualifying round (and Czechs finish first). It's still up in the air, I would wager. But I think Czechs will finish first in their pool, we may finish 2nd or 3rd in ours. So that means either the Slovaks or the Russians (whoever is 3rd or 2nd respectively, in their group)?

Am I right or wrong?
Yes..ok...I think you've got the most likely scenario there...Hmmmm? things aren't too bad afterall...IF we start playing better...and I think we will! :jump:

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
Everest said:
Yes..ok...I think you've got the most likely scenario there...Hmmmm? things aren't too bad afterall...IF we start playing better...and I think we will! :jump:
Replacing Habscheid would be a good first step. Brent Sutter anyone? :help:

If only there was time to make those kinds of adjustments...

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
A lot of these Canadian defensmen have little big ice experience and you can see how lost most of them are. They need to stop running around and be more patient. Jovo looks like a chicken with his head cut off. This can still win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad