WC QROUND: May 7 GDT - Canada vs. Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Great game, the most entertaining one so far. None of the teams had very good defense though. Canada's was horrible and half of the Swedes wasn't much better. Some thought about the game:

-Sanny was awful, please don't play him anymore.
-The same goes to Weinhandl, I want Franzén instead and please put Höglund among the spectators.
-Nash and Thornton are pure class players..
-Samuelsson is the perfect fit for the twins, at first he was carrying them. Now he just complements them great. A must signing for Vancouver.
-Nash should get suspended.
-I'm glad Sweden is playing good ;)

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
"Couldn't agree more. Canada looked completely crap in their own end. I have always thought Jovo to be overrated (along with Redden and Phillips - there's a reason Ottawa disappears every spring from the playoffs....).

Rocky Saginuts,your bias is showing. Sounds like you're not watching the game if you think Redden and Fisher are the problem. Redden is Canada's steadiest d-man. Fisher is playihg well.

Maybe you should have said that these guys are part of the reason that Ottawa has been in the playoffs every year,won its division as well as a Presidents Cup and took the Conference Final to 7 games.

After all every team that does not win the Stanley Cup dissappears in the playoffs.

I guess you most likely think the team needs -wait for it - Bryan Mccabe- who has,after all, led the Leafs to so many Stanley Cups.

Macman

May 15, 2004
This was the first time in a long time that a Swedish team outworked a Canadian team, but that's what happened. There just wasn't enough intensity from Canada. They got up 2-0 and 3-1 and figured it was game over and took the rest of the game off. Glenn Healy said it best when he said Canada didn't respect the Swedes. Hopefully they've learned their lesson. I guess we'll find out today against the Finns.

The loss could be thing Canada needs or it could be the beginning of the end; I not sure which it will be. The defence has been so bad I'm not sure Canada can turn this thing around.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Oil_slick9416 said:
so they win one 5-4 and they own us now? :dunno:

Perhaps not, but it's nice to talk up the Swedes and my fellow Europeans, but Canadians have themselves to blame, if they were a little more magnanimous when their team won, we wouldn't be chuckling about them losing now.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
5-4 Games are great, aren't they?...

I can understand that Canadians are upset about losing, but why all the complaining about the defense, isn't this the type of game everyone wants played in the NHL, if it ever returns? Mistake prone games where 8 to ten goals are scored a game. It's funny certain NHL teams get burned constantly for playing well defensively by the same fans here, whom are now complaining about their team defense, or is it that your team just loss. I even heard a poster suggest that team Canada should have gone into a trap with a 3-1 lead, oh the shame.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
DARKSIDE said:
I can understand that Canadians are upset about losing, but why all the complaining about the defense, isn't this the type of game everyone wants played in the NHL, if it ever returns? Mistake prone games where 8 to ten goals are scored a game. It's funny certain NHL teams get burned constantly for playing well defensively by the same fans here, whom are now complaining about their team defense, or is it that your team just loss. I even heard a poster suggest that team Canada should have gone into a trap with a 3-1 lead, oh the shame.
You're thinking of Americans. Americans want more offense in the NHL, most Canadians seem to be pretty happy with the NHL already. Defensively-sound hockey is Canadian hockey, pure and simple.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
kolanos said:
You're thinking of Americans. Americans want more offense in the NHL, most Canadians seem to be pretty happy with the NHL already. Defensively-sound hockey is Canadian hockey, pure and simple.
I think it's more like there is a good chance that we won't win this year thanks to our defense and this is not the regular season...

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
DARKSIDE said:
Yes >>>I was "calling for the trap" contrary to what some people think..its not just a "european thing"...and with 3 goals on the board already...I don't think Canada should have been so aggresive in the 4on4 burst.
Canada has the ability to play "exciting traps" because rather than just angle/squeeze and clog the neutral zone...we have forwards who put exclamation points on the open ice containment/hitting....(ie: Fisher hit on Gionta) Unfortunately...the reffing is very tight and I must say...Canada has had trouble with it! (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad