Not open for further replies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Robertsson 4-ever said:
I'd like to see:

PP1: Kronwall - Alfredsson - Hedström - Zetterberg - Kahnberg/Weinhandl
PP2: Bäckman - Weinhandl/K Jönsson - D Sedin - H Sedin - Samuelsson

I like the first one, but I like to have R. Sundin on the PP. He's not the most technical player but he plays simple and knows what to do and when to do it.

Roy G Biv*

mr gib said:
daniel and henrik are turning into men -

I think you mean women

EDIT: I see someone already spiked this setup! I gotta be faster!

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I guess I'll remain vigilant...Canada expects more from these guys...and they will respond!

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Hope so too... some of the players I hope take the step:

Lars Jonsson
Staffan Kronwall
Robert Nilsson
Calle Söderberg (why don't he sign with a SEL team?)
Loui Eriksson

Is Soderberg not contracted with any team, or is he still with Malmo (they were relegated if I recall correctly)?

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I would also say regehr was quite decent. His first passes out of the zone are quite solid and he's making up for Jovo's crap-tastic defense so far. He has also been a positive help to Canada's PK. I feel sorry for Jovo's defensive partner in Vancouver.

Regher has been OK, none of the glaring mistakes of Jovo, but a lack of good play like Chris Phillips resulting in good chances to score (but not gifts like from Jovo). The only defenseman we have who is consistantly able to get the puck out of the zone under pressure is Redden, and that is why the Swedes were able to enjoy a territorial advantage for most of the game.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I would also say regehr was quite decent. His first passes out of the zone are quite solid and he's making up for Jovo's crap-tastic defense so far. He has also been a positive help to Canada's PK. I feel sorry for Jovo's defensive partner in Vancouver.
It should be pointed out that Jovo's defensive partner last season (Malik) led the NHL in plus/minus (tied with Martin St. Louis).

ResidentAlien*

also worth noing that jovo is coming off a hip injury..not sure if thats still buggin him or not, but he hasnt look that great thus far

Wetcoaster

Kudos to team Sweden and particularly the coaching staff.

The Canadian coaching staff obviously was not prepared for the unrelenting forecheck from the Swedish team. Sweden played the pressure forecheck that Canada has employed to good effect in the past. By the second period the Canadian D was handling the puck like it was a hand grenade.

This is the first time I can recall a Swedish national team being that aggressive away from the puck. Head coach Bengt Gustaffson (sp?) has certainly changed the Swedish style of defence. It was an excellent defensive scheme and the Canadian coaching staff was not able to adapt. I was very impressed by Sweden.

Another thing I noticed was that although the Swedes did use the neutral zone trap on ocassion, they went more with the Red Wing style left wing lock and utilized the weak side D-man to step up which is most unusual for them. Kenny Jonnson was a "monster" (to crib a Pee-Air term). He killed the Canadians on the counter-attack. The usual Swedish style of the D collapsing back was hardly seen and when they did they got themselves in trouble with the bigger Canadian forwards able to establish position. It did not happen very often.

Coming across the Canadian blue line the Swedish forwards were driving wide and if they had a lane they drove to the net and if not they either curled back or dropped the puck back to the point man. The point was open the whole game for them and the Canadian "gap" game was abysmal - again a coaching error.

The Swedes limited the deep dump-ins and pretty much neutralized Brodeur's puck handling skills using soft dump-ins when not carrying the puck to the net or passing back to the point. Every time a Canadian D-man touched the puck, he was bumped. The Canadian D spent most of the game with their faces kissing the end glass. The only Canadian forward that seemed to recognize the problem during the game was Thornton who came back deep on numerous ocassions to bail out the D. The other centres were just out too far, particularly Morrison who had a very bad game.

Canada just was not able to adapt and that shows a distressingly poor coaching.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Vikke said:
After that STUPID move by Nash, I hope he gets suspended. God damnit!
Are we sure he speared the ref? That sounds alot like something that is exaggerrted...I'm going to watch a game-tape right now...start to finish ( :shakehead ) and look for this alleged stickwork on the ref...it really sounds prepostrous...but if He did anything like that...of course he should be suspended.

Chevy Cheveldae

the Nash incident as i recall it (i hope u all get a chance to see it yourselves)

Nash got really pissed at forward Jonathan Hedström because he caught the puck with his glove and threw it out of the Swedish zone, obviously Nash didn't like that so he tried to get the ref to make a call, but the ref skated away, that's when Nash used his stick to hook the ref.... :shakehead
The ref poked it away and then Nash turned towards the linesman and shoved him(not using the stick this time)

I'm sure the Federation will have a look on this situation tomorrow and decide on some kind of punishment, because - Rick Nash...this stuff doesn't belong on the ice

You've got to keep your temper young boy :teach:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Everest said:
Are we sure he speared the ref? That sounds alot like something that is exaggerrted...I'm going to watch a game-tape right now...start to finish ( :shakehead ) and look for this alleged stickwork on the ref...it really sounds prepostrous...but if He did anything like that...of course he should be suspended.

He didn't spear him. He hooked him around the stomach. It wasn't all that hard but it definataly was contact. It was in the last 30 secs of the game when Hedström pushed/threw the puck.

Swedish television showed it in a replay after the game. I am sure he will get a suspension for it.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Chevy Cheveldae said:
the Nash incident as i recall it (i hope u all get a chance to see it yourselves)

Nash got really pissed at forward Jonathan Hedström because he caught the puck with his glove and threw it out of the Swedish zone, obviously Nash didn't like that so he tried to get the ref to make a call, but the ref skated away, that's when Nash used his stick to hook the ref.... :shakehead
The ref poked it away and then Nash turned towards the linesman and shoved him(not using the stick this time)

I'm sure the Federation will have a look on this situation tomorrow and decide on some kind of punishment, because - Rick Nash...this stuff doesn't belong on the ice

You've got to keep your temper young boy :teach:

At what time in the game did this occur...I want to see it and I have mediazone. Seems to me as though the Canadiens are pretty bitter bout losing for the first time in a while

EDIT: oh, didnt see last 30 seconds post...I'll take a look, thanks

EDIT AGAIN: You get no good shot at it on MediaZone..no replay or anything...does anyone have a link?

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The referee should have assessed a Game Misconduct to Nash the second he made contact with him, the young boy still has much to learn it seems.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Hi, I was totally drunk when I was watching this game...it feelt like Canada where not doing their best at all...Are they saving their energy for the quater or what is up? it was funny however when Nash hooked the referee in last minute. Big mistake by the referee to not do something about that situation when Hedström threw the puck away. Cool that Sweden won though...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I've said it from the start : Sweden is better without its brightest stars ... but well, they still have to prove it by winning in the final round.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
wilka91 said:
I've said it from the start : Sweden is better without its brightest stars ... but well, they still have to prove it by winning in the final round.

Yep Sweden is better without the "stars"...we could be even better if it whouldn't be for the sex-scandal with Huselius, Tallinder and Lilja earlier this year. It surprises me though that the Canadians isn't better than this...maybe they're overrated for this tournament.
:dunno:

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005

I'm a Flames fan but I'll call a spade a spade on this comment. Regher has been awful. Sure Jovo's Canada's worst defenceman right now but Regher isn't far off. The big ice surface is exposing his lack of footspeed as he is continually late to the puck in the corners and is consistently on the losing end of puck battles. His break out passes have been bad. He either passes to the red line at the boards to a stationary winger or skates 2 strides out of the endzone to pass it up to the winger's skates. His lack of offence and creativity really set him apart from every other Canadian blue liner besides Hannan. Hannan though while making defence lapses is moving his feet and playing with passion while Regher looks like he doesn't know what to do out there.

He better pick his game up.

Oh and Jovanovski sucks.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Heh, this topic is quite a read when you start at the beginning after the game is over. My favs:

Riddarn said:
Picked out a nice pair yet? 2-0 already and the canadians haven't even started yet.

Captain Leaf said:
Damn there goes the shut out .

Good game by the Swedes, they were largely responsible for making us look so bad.

I would definitely play Luongo tomorrow, Brodeur was horrible for much of the game. On the game winning goal, he's literally diving around on the ice, when there was no reason to be. Left the net completely open for Jonsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad