WC QF: May 10th GDT - USA vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I´ve seen most of the NHL playoffs games so far, but I´d rather watch a game like this in any day. Both teams focused on scoring rather than just waiting for opponent's mistakes. Great entertainment.

Pushkin*

nhl playoffs is about " MAKING A GOAL IS LESS IMPORTANT THAN AVOIDING MISTAKES..." so you understand how it is to watch that... Dump Trapp low scoring chances plenty of tv breaks no rhythm some might prefer that but for a real hockey lover there is no comparaison IIHF Hockey is the only true hockey around

Kaktus*

Russia have been deep at forwards throughout the whole 90s and continue to have it now.

I never said there wasn't any future there, but the names really isn't that impressive if you can't prove that they can play a team game, which hockey is all about.
Swedes did not prove a lot before they produced Forsbergs, Sundins, Naslunds and of course you have to mention players like Lidstrom..

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
I´ve seen most of the NHL playoffs games so far, but I´d rather watch a game like this in any day. Both teams focused on scoring rather than just waiting for opponent's mistakes. Great entertainment.

It worked well as an apetizer for the coming Sabres - Senators game. I was quite surprised that Koivu and Nummelin didn't score in the shootout considering they've usually been money for the Wild. Russia rematch should be interesting.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Swedes did not prove a lot before they produced Forsbergs, *Alfredssons, Sundins, and of course you have to mention players like Lidstrom..

*I fixed it for you.

Yeah, but they proved earlier in their careers that they can play and win on the same team. The Russian generation of Fedorov, Bure, Kovalev, etc never won anything _together_. Atleast the Sundins and Forsbergs got a couple of IHWC-golds together.

I am not bashing Russian hockey at all, but i think it is quite ignorant to discredit the american players 3 years before the olympics even begin. Alot can happen until then, they have many talented players, perhaps not the likes of Malkin and Ovechkin, but still very good players.

EDIT: This feels kind of OT. I suggest you PM for further discussion.

Last edited:

Teme-84

Apr 4, 2007
Kokkola, Finland
Incredible, just incredible excitement. I have never been as nervous as I was in the last minutes of the game, including last minutes of regular time, overtime and penalty shootout. Finland would have taken the victory already during 60 first minutes but we had serious problems in our own area. Many times there was one or more American players in front of Lehtonen but where were the Finns? That made me worried.

Finland has often lost penalty shootouts but finally it went like this.. However I still think penalty shootout is a rude way to solve these games.. I hope Nummelin is OK, otherwise our defense situation would not be any better, at least..

To the end. Lehtinen!! :handclap:

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Lions and sheeps for team Finland today:

3 Lions:

Lehtonen: Almost speechless. What a game, couldn't ask for more. I honestly believe he could steal the game against Russia. He is one of the calmest goalies we have ever had. Only negative thing was that he said in the post-game interview that he faked an injury trying to get a penalty for USA. Shame on you Kari. :teach:
Kallio: Nice to see him stepping his game up and scoring a clutch goal, WTG Tomi.
Nummelin: If Sami Salo is the finnish McInnis then Petteri Nummelin is the finnish Niedermayer with his majestic puck carrying and graceful skating. Awesome game by Petu, hope he's ok for the game vs. Russia or else we are royally screwed.

2 Lions:

T.Ruutu: Leader by example. Our forward MVP so far.
Lehtinen: Poor game overall but he didn't panic when the game was on the line. I was going to critizise him because of a mediocre season in the nhl, a crappy playoff performance and a crappy performance so far in the WC's, but maybe he isn't washed up just yet.

1 Lion:

Koivu: Won some important faceoffs and was the catalyst on our best line today. A couple mistakes here and there though and you could tell he was hella nervous on his shootout attempt.
Peltonen: Ville was good today.

1 Sheep:

Laamanen: Unimpressive.
Kapanen: Only time I noticed him was when he made a huge turnover.
Berg: Aki is Aki, what are you gonna do :dunno:
Pärssinen: Who?

2 sheeps:

Pyörälä: Not good enough for international competition.

3 sheeps:

-

Mad props to team USA. :clap:

Great to see so much talent and youthful excuberance on the ice. If you only had a decent goalie (like Tim Thomas :teach: ) you would have won today I think.

I see lots of good things for USA in the future, I laughed at your roster before the tournamnet calling it perhaps the worst USA team in ages, but they really impressed me ever since I saw their exhibition game against Sweden. And today they scored some of the most beautiful goals all tourney. Especially the Arnason goal was like something out of a Soviet-era highlight reel.

Too bad such a great team had to end their quest today.

Termos

Mar 14, 2007
Finland
all I have to say that damn it was thriller! Finland won but well USA was showing some passion! I have seen in a few years time some very close games between USA and Finland, like in world cup and in olympics but this was... well it was shootout what else can I say. I naturally cheer for team Finland but USA showed some guts and determination and I am not sure if the better team won. But anyhow enough blabbering congrats to my team and USA will be team to beat in the future, if all the young and talented players will be available for them.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
1 Sheep:

Laamanen: Unimpressive.
Kapanen: Only time I noticed him was when he made a huge turnover.
Berg: Aki is Aki, what are you gonna do :dunno:

Pärssinen was an extra attacker and did not IMO play a shift.

Saravo and Laamanen pair was worth an a*s hair of three sheeps. Saravo saw all the US goals from a close distance and two goals were made during Laamanen's penalty caused by his softness and lack of defensive abilities.

Grove

Mar 19, 2007
Great game by Finland, and it's great were in the top 4 once again. Though I must say, I was really skeptic about our chances when it became clear that there's a shootout coming. But thank god for Lehtinen and Lehtonen.

Ofcourse I will be rooting for Finland till the very end, but you know I have little feeling that our lovely neighbour Sweden could suprise and actually win the whole thing even though their only NHL player is Steen. 'Cause their team is looking really united and their game has been really impressive. Not to mention that Bengt-Ã…ke is probaly one of the best coaches in the world at the moment.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005

Hard to impress from the bench though?

Personally I was most impressed by the game of Tomi Kallio. I think the best international game I've seen from him this far. I'd give " 3 sheeps" for finnish guys shootout performances (not including Lehtinen ofcourse). I was expecting Nummelin and Koivu to score as their been so solid at the shootouts in the NHL.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Pärssinen was an extra attacker and did not IMO play a shift.

Saravo and Laamanen pair was worth an a*s hair of three sheeps. Saravo saw all the US goals from a close distance and two goals were made during Laamanen's penalty caused by his softness and lack of defensive abilities.

Ahh. that explains it. Anyway the "teletubbies" have been really quiet this tournament and certainly haven't been able to revive some of that old magic.

I agree Saravo and Laamanen looked like Dumb & dumber out there from time to time, but at least Saravo scored a goal.

Pica

Jan 4, 2006
:handclap: to this years American team. Youngsters from new NHL played great at times, wasnt enough for medals this year.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I very liked what I've seen from TEAM USA... they are bit inexpirienced yet but they are already a force and in future they will be only better :handclap:

Faktisti*

must say that lehtonen was JUST AMAZING in the shootout! look how good reflex, speed mixed huge size..

i can say that it is impossible that lehtonen wont become a superstar. mayby he will be next year

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
Did Kontiola play at all for the fins? If not, what's going on there?

He was an extra attacker. Why he's on the bench after he was our best point scorer in the early stages, I dunno. Maybe for the same reason that Viuhkola is on the first line :loony:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
must say that lehtonen was JUST AMAZING in the shootout! look how good reflex, speed mixed huge size..

i can say that it is impossible that lehtonen wont become a superstar. mayby he will be next year
To be honest, I think the shootout attempts looked like crap. Either they mostly missed the entire net or fumbled away the puck in some bad deking attempt and not getting a shot on goal at all. Both Parise and Kessel weren't really close to score on any of the four penalty shots they had together.

Lehtonen held his ground and did what he had to do though.

Grove

Mar 19, 2007
Did Kontiola play at all for the fins? If not, what's going on there?
Nope, he didn't. And I think he hasn't played in the last 3 games, which makes absolutely no sense. While completely worthless players such as Miettinen play, Kontiola, who actually has skills, has to warm the bench. Well that's EW-logic for ya.

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
Great game by Finland, and it's great were in the top 4 once again. Though I must say, I was really skeptic about our chances when it became clear that there's a shootout coming. But thank god for Lehtinen and Lehtonen.

Ofcourse I will be rooting for Finland till the very end, but you know I have little feeling that our lovely neighbour Sweden could suprise and actually win the whole thing even though their only NHL player is Steen. 'Cause their team is looking really united and their game has been really impressive. Not to mention that Bengt-Ã…ke is probaly one of the best coaches in the world at the moment.
A reminder that half of team Sweden is with the Detroit Red Wings right now.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
A reminder that half of team Sweden is with the Detroit Red Wings right now.

The one and only Finnish car-collecting goal scorer (who has almost single-handedly won us games against Sweden in big tournaments) is with the Anaheim Ducks at the moment.

Joretus

Lions and sheeps for team Finland today:

3 Lions:
Nummelin: If Sami Salo is the finnish McInnis then Petteri Nummelin is the finnish Niedermayer with his majestic puck carrying and graceful skating. Awesome game by Petu, hope he's ok for the game vs. Russia or else we are royally screwed.

Excuse me? That have to be joke? The guy was so bad in own end I'm speechless. His fault at least one goal, and he were just surfing down to own end without any effort... 3 lions maybe about offense and then 3 sheeps about own end. And comparing him to Niedermayer is pure joke even as finnish version. Niedermayer is better defender without stick than Nummelin with stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad