WC QF: May 10th GDT - USA vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faktisti*

To be honest, I think the shootout attempts looked like crap. Either they mostly missed the entire net or fumbled away the puck in some bad deking attempt and not getting a shot on goal at all. Both Parise and Kessel weren't really close to score on any of the four penalty shots they had together.

Lehtonen held his ground and did what he had to do though.

the fact is that he didnt let any of the shots in the net. i have seen him training and i can see clearly how unnormal he is particulary from he's reflex

Termos

Mar 14, 2007
Finland
I´ve seen most of the NHL playoffs games so far, but I´d rather watch a game like this in any day. Both teams focused on scoring rather than just waiting for opponent's mistakes. Great entertainment.

Well maybe the first round was bit boring and also the second but I thought that the conference finals were very intresting you might even say entertaining:) but I see your point, this was a game with passion, fast skating hockey atleast in second period. But the mistakes that the both teams made well that doesn't happen´ in this years NHL playoffs, so was this better game? NO it was far more entertaining but it was also coaches nightmare:)

Kaktus*

*I fixed it for you.

Yeah, but they proved earlier in their careers that they can play and win on the same team. The Russian generation of Fedorov, Bure, Kovalev, etc never won anything _together_. Atleast the Sundins and Forsbergs got a couple of IHWC-golds together.

I am not bashing Russian hockey at all, but i think it is quite ignorant to discredit the american players 3 years before the olympics even begin. Alot can happen until then, they have many talented players, perhaps not the likes of Malkin and Ovechkin, but still very good players.

EDIT: This feels kind of OT. I suggest you PM for further discussion.
Is that right? Well.. comparing to Swedes they didn't but Bure & Fedorov Silver and Bronze Olympic medals and a few NHL trophies. Kovalev Olympic Gold & Bronze Medals. For whatever reason they could not play together.

IMO Malkin, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin will be a little better then those 3. Throw in a few good vets like Datsyuk and one good RSL line.. you can guess the rest.

Thats what I said.. very good players but not on the same level.. Who is bashing? This is true.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
I didn't see this game unfortunately. I have always supported Finnish teams, but this year I was hoping to see team USA in the semifinal, or maybe even in the final match. Well, seems like I'll have to choose a new favourite. Finns?

Savolainen

Oct 10, 2005
Why Koistinen isn't playing?? I thought he came in for the injured Mäntylä??

It's a joke that Westerlund didn't let him play! He's better than the most defenders which are on the roster! Our defense can't be worse, so please give Koistinen a chance!

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Why Koistinen isn't playing?? I thought he came in for the injured Mäntylä??

It's a joke that Westerlund didn't let him play! He's better than the most defenders which are on the roster! Our defense can't be worse, so please give Koistinen a chance!

Because Erkka really wants to use Pihlström, but can only get one more player added. So he needs to know if Nummelin can still play, if he can then Pihlström will be added. If Nummelin can't play, Koistinen will be added. That's what Westerlund said after the game.

I guess it makes sense in some weird way. I think the line of Kapanen could do better if they had Pihlström in it instead of Miettinen who has been playing pretty bad this time. But yeah, if it was my call, I would let Koistinen play even if Nummelin will play...there is no way in hell Söderholm would play in my team, and Laamanen is a huge risk too. Koistinen has them both beat.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Uh...you obviously can't watch the teams left...

nhl playoffs is about " MAKING A GOAL IS LESS IMPORTANT THAN AVOIDING MISTAKES..." so you understand how it is to watch that... Dump Trapp low scoring chances plenty of tv breaks no rhythm some might prefer that but for a real hockey lover there is no comparaison IIHF Hockey is the only true hockey around

in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Unbelievable skilled hockey. Yes, some dump and chase, but it is intelligently done - only when teams force the line; if they don't they carry speed into the offensive zone. Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit and Anaheim all are exceptionally skilled teams that can dazzle you with speed and skill or punish you in the alley - great hockey all around!

Because I am lucky and can watch both IIHF and NHL freely I have to say without bias that the NHL game in the playoffs is faster developing, more dynamic, more fast passed...and in most games more entertaining.

The semi final games in the World Championships should reach the level of the Stanley Cup playoff games...I eagerly await them.:handclap:

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Why don't they play Jack Johnson more? Has been that bad in the tournament so far?
Why would they play EJ over JJ when JJ has more experience?

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Kontiola better be dressed against the russians...

Who would he replace? Viuhkola or Miettinen? Kontiola is no good for a defensive role and it would not be wise to break our best line Ruutu-Koivu-Kallio.

Koistinen is playing and represented alongside with Kukkonen in the practise. Nummelin´s boots are big to fill in Ville´s national team debut - against the home team in WHC QF!

Savolainen

Oct 10, 2005
Yes, I hope this game isn't too big for a debut of a young defender!
But I'm very excited about him! 43 points in 63 games (include playoff) and a roster spot in the All-Star game is very good for a rookie defender in the AHL! :handclap:
For sure he's better than most defenders on our roster! Well, this isn't very difficult...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Who would he replace? Viuhkola or Miettinen? Kontiola is no good for a defensive role and it would not be wise to break our best line Ruutu-Koivu-Kallio.

Koistinen is playing and represented alongside with Kukkonen in the practise. Nummelin´s boots are big to fill in Ville´s national team debut - against the home team in WHC QF!

As much as I like Miettinen, he has been ***** in this competition. Viuhkola has shown flashes but isn't given either...

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
nhl playoffs is about " MAKING A GOAL IS LESS IMPORTANT THAN AVOIDING MISTAKES..." so you understand how it is to watch that... Dump Trapp low scoring chances plenty of tv breaks no rhythm some might prefer that but for a real hockey lover there is no comparaison IIHF Hockey is the only true hockey around
What do you think of the IIHF Hockey now? The NHL is still the best league in the world hands down and this World Championship proves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad